• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did MBTI give you?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you say what did MBTI give you as a personality? Can you say how did it help you to better understand yourself, better understand others, or to live a happier life?
Be really honest, if MBTI didn't give you anything say it!

Curtis B

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It gave me a way of identifying and understanding traits in myself and in others. I use it as a way to better understand the actions of the people around me, why they might say one thing versus another, and as a way to control my emotions; in a weird sort of way it allows me to recognize that someone isn't neccesarily bossing me around, rather they're just speaking in a way that they would like to be spoken to. I personally may find it offensive and may over react if someone TELLS me to do something, but if I take a moment to step back and look at their personality, I can understand why they phrase something in a way that they do, thus, avoiding me getting annoyed or angry about nothing.

Also it gave me an obsession.:D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you say what did MBTI give you as a personality? Can you say how did it help you to better understand yourself, better understand others, or to live a happier life?

The MBTI has done nothing for me in terms of personal self-understanding and spiritual growth. That was the Enneagram.

á´…eparted

passages
The MBTI has done nothing for me in terms of personal self-understanding and spiritual growth. That was the Enneagram.

Yeah pretty much this. MBTI just confirms a lot of what I already know and isn't much more than a bunch of fun. Enneagram made me look more closely at my motivations and what drives me, which is much more useful.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It gave me a way of identifying and understanding traits in myself and in others. I use it as a way to better understand the actions of the people around me, why they might say one thing versus another, and as a way to control my emotions; in a weird sort of way it allows me to recognize that someone isn't neccesarily bossing me around, rather they're just speaking in a way that they would like to be spoken to. I personally may find it offensive and may over react if someone TELLS me to do something, but if I take a moment to step back and look at their personality, I can understand why they phrase something in a way that they do, thus, avoiding me getting annoyed or angry about nothing.

Also it gave me an obsession.:D

This.

MBTI Type
INTJ
It made me feel like less of a freak. It was comforting that there are other people like me and that someone had codified it. Even though INTJs are usually said to be only 1%-2% of the population, it made me feel more normal.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Biggest ever turning point in life so far. This was not directly through use of the theory but it was related. That's pretty much what MBTI gave me, not that that isn't enough on its own; It doesn't really help me understand others much better, though a little bit maybe on a theoretical level. It's also a nice opportunity to speak to others about psychology through this relatively easy to understand theory.

Enneagram helps understand motivations a lot more, though. Helps more in self-improvement.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
MBTI tells me about the four cognitive functions combinations in me. This is a psychological knowledge that I previously did not even notice before I was introduced to the MBTI. I tend to vaguely assume that people were the same but doubt the same in terms of what. The MBTI, as extension of Psychological type, has taught me that people are different in their psychological energy that is explanatory to many things in life. There is a lot of things that I refrain in doing after reading MBTI. Like explaining something to a person. MBTI has taught me that, It may offend Fe types assuming they are taught while they do may not expect to be taught by me. They may say : I do not ask to be taught by you ! I have changed and I am keeping on doing that how I behave mainly towards the Extrovert judging-introvert sensing type, who may only care about the practical thing, the result, the action taken, instead of some explanation about it. I remember that my former boss told this to me before I read the MBTI: "You should not tell me any discourse !", when I explained something in the job. He may have only cared about the result of my actions taken; not any discourse on it in his language. That was shocking and I felt he seemed not to appreciate the way I behave.
I have come up with "Formula" when facing a Feeler-introvert sensing boss who behave action oriented, instructive, and judges by feeling: only answer what they ask, never tell/ teach them either intentionally or unintentionally. They only care about: news, actions taken, report, result; I tend not to get a long with them. .
In addition, What MBTI taught me is how to save the psychic energy. By identifying others cognitive functions, we can behave accordingly to each type and hence save a lot of energy. When facing a sensor type, it may be better when responding with practice that I am able to perform; not by theorizing. Else, even if I likely to explained something, I refrain do it orally in conversation with them; I may only write up my explanation for self study.
I honestly tend to expect they get some trouble with their usual practice and won't know what else they have to do, and May be I'll just have to wait until they ask something theoretical, there may be the right time to theorize a bit.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It confirmed for me what I already knew: I'm very unique; I don't know anyone who's like me.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't think it's healthy for self-analysis, at least not for me! However I have found, when gripped lightly, it can be a helpful reminder that people are different and they aren't just bad versions of your type.

It is about as useful as something like "love languages".

I personally just love playing with theoretical frameworks, and am not overly concerned if it eever really helps me all that much.