• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Losing/Breaking possessions and inferior Se

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a history of losing and breaking things, and when I was young my dad would always scold and judge me for it, saying he wouldn't buy me stuff if I wouldn't take care of it. I've gotten a lot better at keeping up with things (I haven't lost anything important in several years) and taking care of them, and I also just started not telling him when things happen. Today I left my purse on top of the car and drove off with it. Fortunately I found it, but unfortunately my Kindle is ruined because it got run over by a car. I tried my absolute best to take care of that thing, and my purse. And my camera, until the one time I didn't loop my wrist through the string attached when getting it out of the case I dropped it.

The point is that I feel like I drop and break things more than the average person, and I attribute this to inferior Se. But I knwo everyone does sometimes, so my question is, how much of this is me? How much is inferior Se? Is there a particular type or set of types which just happens to always be able to take good care of their belongings and never break things? My dad is an INTJ, so it should happen to him to some degree too; maybe he gets mad because he gets mad at himself when it happens.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a history of losing and breaking things, and when I was young my dad would always scold and judge me for it, saying he wouldn't buy me stuff if I wouldn't take care of it. I've gotten a lot better at keeping up with things (I haven't lost anything important in several years) and taking care of them, and I also just started not telling him when things happen. Today I left my purse on top of the car and drove off with it. Fortunately I found it, but unfortunately my Kindle is ruined because it got run over by a car. I tried my absolute best to take care of that thing, and my purse. And my camera, until the one time I didn't loop my wrist through the string attached when getting it out of the case I dropped it.

The point is that I feel like I drop and break things more than the average person, and I attribute this to inferior Se. But I knwo everyone does sometimes, so my question is, how much of this is me? How much is inferior Se? Is there a particular type or set of types which just happens to always be able to take good care of their belongings and never break things? My dad is an INTJ, so it should happen to him to some degree too; maybe he gets mad because he gets mad at himself when it happens.

I am very abrasive. With all things I touch. lol

I think Se can be an abrasive function in general.

I went through phases of losing things. I think that I'm a "J" because I don't want to lose things, actually. I want everything in it's place all the time, because I get impatient if I can't find something.

And I can't keep anything in mint condition lol. It just doesn't happen.

Thankfully I don't get too attached to things lol.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It really bothers me when I lose things. I don't know that I do it more than the average person though.

flowerkin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I break everything I touch. Being notorious among my friends for that trait, I have no idea why they continue to let me borrow their things... doesn't happen quite so much now that I've identified the problem and am cautious when holding anything.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I just try to avoid carrying around anything of value, because I lose everything. My mom used to threaten me when I was in elementary school: I'm gonna get you strings for your mittens, and everyone will think you're a kindergartener! You want that!???

Not inferior Se, though.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is my life.

Inferior Si here.

EDIT: i'm more rough on my stuff than i actually lose or break it. usually things just wind up with tattered edges or coffee stains all over them. like chubber said, i don't consider myself organized, but i really am pretty good about knowing where things are. whenever i try to organize, it's like i'm hiding things from myself. i like things to be out and 'working'. so that all my stuff is kind of in motion and kind of flowing with me. if i know i haven't used something in a while, it's probably at the bottom or at the far edges of whatever area i know it's in. the stuff i use all the time is closer to the center and at the top :D

my philosophy, though, is things are meant to be used. i don't buy expensive things usually because i want to be able to use them hard and not feel guilty about it. it works for me. i don't like feeling attached to stuff in that way anyway.

á´…eparted

passages
I am SUPER careful with my stuff. The last important item that I lost was when I was 16 and my keys fell out of my pocket on the bus. I don't really lose things ever, am always checking, cross checking, and insuring that things don't get damaged.

I get REALLY upset and flustered when I lose something or something breaks from my own incompetence so I go to great lengths to prevent things from being lost or damaged.

In short, I take really good care of my shit.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is me down to the atom.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am SUPER careful with my stuff. The last important item that I lost was when I was 16 and my keys fell out of my pocket on the bus. I don't really lose things ever, am always checking, cross checking, and insuring that things don't get damaged.

I get REALLY upset and flustered when I lose something or something breaks from my own incompetence so I go to great lengths to prevent things from being lost or damaged.

In short, I take really good care of my shit.
I really do try, but (physical) things just escape my immediate attention sometimes; what do you think could account for the difference between INTJ and INFJ? maybe something related to Te?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And interesting parallel with inferior Si; my ENFP sister is like that. Although it seems for me it's more destruction than losing things, at least lately.

á´…eparted

passages
I really do try, but (physical) things just escape my immediate attention sometimes; what do you think could account for the difference between INTJ and INFJ? maybe something related to Te?

I just put a lot of effort into it. It's not a natural behavior, but a learned one. I made it happen because I determined it was, well, needed.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just put a lot of effort into it. It's not a natural behavior, but a learned one. I made it happen because I determined it was, well, needed.

Yea, I don't lose things now for the same reasons.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, it's not just inferior Se. I'm always losing things - I'm a total ditz about it.

I don't break things more often than the average person though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In my nuclear family, my INTP dad and I were both horrible about losing things, while my INFJ mother was the one who NEVER lost things and always kept perfect track of everything. On the other hand, she was the klutz of the family -- always tripping on things or knocking things over.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my nuclear family, my INTP dad and I were both horrible about losing things, while my INFJ mother was the one who NEVER lost things and always kept perfect track of everything. On the other hand, she was the klutz of the family -- always tripping on things or knocking things over.

Sounds like you had a fun family. :)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool, so I can conclude that every type loses things, but maybe INJ's are more klutzy. [MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION], thanks for posting that. I have the book and it's a good one.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
This sounds very familiar to me and I would also attribute this to my inferior Se. I'm also particulary "gifted" at losing things :p
What MBTI as a whole has helped me most with is realizing that some of my practical debilities must result from inferior Se. Realizing your inferiorities.
Growing up, and the experience that comes with it, have helped me a lot with developing more practical skills. I would say that has made me a lot more comfortable with myself.
I've learned to be calmer, more pragmatic & observant with my senses through the years.

My dad is an INTJ, so it should happen to him to some degree too; maybe he gets mad because he gets mad at himself when it happens.

My dad's an INTJ too ! And that's exactly what happens. He gets frustrated with himself when dealing with practical things and tries to rush it.
Compared to him I excel in practical things and that's saying a lot.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm actually pretty good with my stuff. I like nice things, but I primarily like nice things that I can use. So I end up buying high quality utilitarian items. Otherwise I live pretty minimally. I would loose more things if this weren't the case. But as it is, I don't have much to loose.