• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is it like to be N-inferior?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For the ESPs and ISJs here. I'm genuinely curious. :thinking: Yeah this is kind of a vague question but I don't know how else to put it. What's your relationship with Intuition? How do you view Intuitive types? How do you view the future and the possibilities it holds? How does being S-dominant shape how you see the world and how you think? Do you think you're more realistic/pragmatic than Intuitive types or do you think that's bullcrap (some think I'm ESFP and I'm not pragmatic at all, but I'm also sp-last so I dunno)? How does your imagination operate? And so on. Gimme more than just that though!

Hmm...
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] [MENTION=11928]Vetani[/MENTION] [MENTION=15167]The Iron Giant[/MENTION] [MENTION=8485]tinker683[/MENTION] [MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION] [MENTION=4358]Jeffster[/MENTION] :D

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
O HAI THAR! :hi:

For the ESPs and ISJs here. I'm genuinely curious. :thinking: Yeah this is kind of a vague question but I don't know how else to put it. What's your relationship with Intuition?

You're right...this is an incredibly difficult question to answer because, for me anyway, it's akin to asking, "What color is up?" or something else equally nonsensical.

I don't know, it's something I barely sense of the periphery of my mental thought processes. To put this in the form of a simile: It's like a distant voice that I sometimes hear over the roar of my day-to-day thoughts. It's nothing something I really can actively tap into so much as feel.

As I get older and (hopefully) wiser, that voice is getting a little louder. It's only within the past couple of years that I've really started to try and listen to this voice and by doing so...I've grown a lot. It's scary...but really awesome at the same time.

How do you view Intuitive types?

While I do judge ever Intuitve I meet on a case-by-case basis and I have many that I love (in fact, all of my longer term intimate relationships have been with NFs), I have found that generally NF's delight me and NT's irritate the shit out of me.

How do you view the future and the possibilities it holds?

I view the future very well. I know where I've been and what I've overcome and from all of that I derive a great deal of strength and fortitude that I am confident will allow me to endure any storm I should find myself in. While I certainly can not predict what will happen in the future, I believe that dithering about it is worse than useless. Put your best foot forward, put on your game face, and get out there and kick some ass. Everything else will work out as it should.

How does being S-dominant shape how you see the world and how you think?

This is a question I'm not sure I can answer well because I've never been an N-dominant type so I have no basis of comparison.

That being said, I find I tend to focus on more practical, immediate things and my N's friends and family often focus a lot on (often) unrealized possibilities. I realize I'm thoroughly over-reaching here but I can only deal with stereotypes with such a broad question. Sorry :(

Do you think you're more realistic/pragmatic than Intuitive types or do you think that's bullcrap (some think I'm ESFP and I'm not pragmatic at all, but I'm also sp-last so I dunno)?

I think it would be better to say I go for the more immediate and likely to happen whereas N's reach for the possible and the ideal. Neither is wrong and there are times and places for both. But I think that's a broad generalization, I have no doubt there are N's far more practical than I'll ever be.

How does your imagination operate?

Having Asperger's Syndrome, I have a very active imagination. The weakness for me I think as opposed to an Intuitive is that I'm really good at taking pre-existing concepts and molding them into something else. Intuitive's seem to have the ability to come up with wholly original stuff all on their own and it's something I do very much envy about them.

T

The Iron Giant

For the ESPs and ISJs here. I'm genuinely curious. :thinking: Yeah this is kind of a vague question but I don't know how else to put it. What's your relationship with Intuition? How do you view Intuitive types? How do you view the future and the possibilities it holds? How does being S-dominant shape how you see the world and how you think? Do you think you're more realistic/pragmatic than Intuitive types or do you think that's bullcrap (some think I'm ESFP and I'm not pragmatic at all, but I'm also sp-last so I dunno)? How does your imagination operate? And so on. Gimme more than just that though!

Well, you're looking at dichotomies instead of full types or functions. You're going to see more similarities between Ni and Si doms, and Ne and Se doms, than you will see differences between say, Ni and Si. As you said, there's confusion as to whether you're Ne or Se. They do present very similarly. In fact, I have four or so reasonably close ESFP friends, and I thought half of them were ENFPs until they typed themselves. I'd call them more... perhaps earthly... than pragmatic. An ESFP friend of mine is energetic, passionate, and at times downright crazy, but she's also pretty realistic. She gets how things work, she's very intelligent, but she doesn't let that stuff get in the way of her having a good time. As an example, she runs a Facebook page for her boyfriend's dog, and does so completely in character. :D

Another is light, soft-spoken, artistic, and deeply intellectual. Another is really smart but has had a pretty hard life, and has a flair for the romantic coupled with a tendency to find herself with the most unromantic men she can find... she's seeing an ISTJ 1 right now. My closest ENFP friend is also deeply religious, which makes it hard to take her seriously. I get along fine with some of the very cool ENFPs right on this site, like [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]. My sister is an INFP, and she's also pretty religious. That's just me though... I've known ISTJs who are religious too, and they probably wouldn't find that so annoying.

I have had issues getting along with some ENTPs in the past, both in my work and among my close friends. It's been a combination of a lack of common sense and a ridiculous amount of self-confidence that really turned me off. Come to think of it, they were also both religious. However, I'm sure I work with cool ENTPs, just by the sheer volume of coworkers I have. Some of them must be ENTPs that I like.

As to Ni-doms, I have a few in my life. My girlfriend is the one I'm closest to. One thing I've noticed is that she is very good at jumping to conclusions and worrying about things that haven't happened.

My imagination. That's a good question. I can imagine things that are fantastical, it's not hard to. I'll tell bedtime stories to my daughter that involve absurd situations, because I know she loves that kind of thing. But in my normal interactions during the day, the imagination I have comes out in more real-to-life ways. I'll talk to my girlfriend and imagine what we might do in the near and distant future. It's not flying on unicorns, it's a trip to France, for example. I'll imagine new ways to layout the furniture in my home sometimes, or plans for the weekend. Sometimes I will write creatively or draw.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's it like to not be N-inferior?

W

WALMART

5153548667_cf60627798_z.jpg

The elephant in the jungle is N-inferior.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
O HAI THAR! :hi:

You're right...this is an incredibly difficult question to answer because, for me anyway, it's akin to asking, "What color is up?" or something else equally nonsensical.

Sorry about that. :D

I don't know, it's something I barely sense of the periphery of my mental thought processes. To put this in the form of a simile: It's like a distant voice that I sometimes hear over the roar of my day-to-day thoughts. It's nothing something I really can actively tap into so much as feel.

Hmm, I think I get what you're saying. But how would you sometimes hear that distant voice in an example? :thinking:

While I do judge ever Intuitve I meet on a case-by-case basis and I have many that I love (in fact, all of my longer term intimate relationships have been with NFs), I have found that generally NF's delight me and NT's irritate the shit out of me.

Hahahaha gotta love NTs. :heart:

I view the future very well. I know where I've been and what I've overcome and from all of that I derive a great deal of strength and fortitude that I am confident will allow me to endure any storm I should find myself in. While I certainly can not predict what will happen in the future, I believe that dithering about it is worse than useless. Put your best foot forward, put on your game face, and get out there and kick some ass. Everything else will work out as it should.

Aww, that's a good way to view it (this is why I love ISJs :wubbie:). I guess this is where we differ. I'm constantly thinking about the future, where I'll be, what kind of people will be at my side, what I'll be doing, and so on. Sometimes I worry that the things I want won't be there or things I don't want will be there. But that worrying inspires me to actively go out and try to...well...do the bolded! Maybe inspire isn't the best word, but I want to live with no regrets. I'm sure most people don't. There always will be, but I wanna look back at the end of the day and at least say I gave it a shot.

That being said, I find I tend to focus on more practical, immediate things and my N's friends and family often focus a lot on (often) unrealized possibilities. I realize I'm thoroughly over-reaching here but I can only deal with stereotypes with such a broad question. Sorry :(

Hmm. So what kinds of examples would you have for both? You mean things like who's doing the cooking, if the bills are being paid, and that stuff for you? Sorry for such a broad question. :blush:

I think it would be better to say I go for the more immediate and likely to happen whereas N's reach for the possible and the ideal. Neither is wrong and there are times and places for both. But I think that's a broad generalization, I have no doubt there are N's far more practical than I'll ever be.

I see. So would you say, if you and an N were both approached by someone at the same time it would go certain ways for the both of you? Like, you might go out with them because you think the person seems nice, attractive, and so on and the N might go out with them because they seem like someone things could work out with in the long-run, or someone they'd want to do various activities with? I dunno, a lot of mental chatter is going on in my head right now ahh! This is very interesting to learn about though haha.

Having Asperger's Syndrome, I have a very active imagination. The weakness for me I think as opposed to an Intuitive is that I'm really good at taking pre-existing concepts and molding them into something else. Intuitive's seem to have the ability to come up with wholly original stuff all on their own and it's something I do very much envy about them.

Aww, don't envy! You're an ISFJ - everything about ISFJs are just great. :newwink: But that's interesting though. Thanks for the reply!

What's it like to not be N-inferior?

Hmm, well if you ask me some follow-up questions I might be able to give an answer. :wink:

5153548667_cf60627798_z.jpg

The elephant in the jungle is N-inferior.

So cute! I want to be N-inferior now.

I'm about to head out to dinner, so I'm gonna reply to this later. Just quoting to let you know I'm not ignoring you! Bye! :hi:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry about that. :D

No need, and I apologize if I came off as being rude or abrasive there. I don't know if it's the jump in testosterone because I'm working out a lot now, but I'm finding generally that I'm getting more aggressive and impatient as of late. I don't know.

Either way, I'm sorry if I came off as an ass :sorry:

Hmm, I think I get what you're saying. But how would you sometimes hear that distant voice in an example? :thinking:

Well, think of it as like this nagging...thing...that's in the back of your mind when you find yourself in a situation. It's like there's this barely distillable voice or feeling in the back of my head when I'm in a situation and unless I'm cool headed or relaxed, I have *no* chance of hearing that voice.

I hope that made sense. Abstract expression is one of my weaker points :(

Hahahaha gotta love NTs. :heart:

As earlier, I hope I didn't come off as saying, "I HATE NT's!!" I know a few NTs that I get along with great.

It's just, of any type, they are the ones that seem to have the easiest time pissing me off ;)

Aww, that's a good way to view it (this is why I love ISJs :wubbie:). I guess this is where we differ. I'm constantly thinking about the future, where I'll be, what kind of people will be at my side, what I'll be doing, and so on. Sometimes I worry that the things I want won't be there or things I don't want will be there. But that worrying inspires me to actively go out and try to...well...do the bolded! Maybe inspire isn't the best word, but I want to live with no regrets. I'm sure most people don't. There always will be, but I wanna look back at the end of the day and at least say I gave it a shot.

I understand that feeling completely. I get that way sometimes too.

I guess what pulls me out of that ending cycle of doubt and uncertainly is the knowledge if I don't get up and do something now then nothing will get done. It's a feedback loop that never ends until YOU decide to make it end.

Hmm. So what kinds of examples would you have for both? You mean things like who's doing the cooking, if the bills are being paid, and that stuff for you? Sorry for such a broad question. :blush:

Quite alright, I'll do my best.

I think either or are unite capable of the basic tasks of daily life. I think a good example might be that I would be interested that Richard Dawkins might be speaking that night at an event and an intuitive might be more concerned with whether he's discussing atheism or biology. Not that I wouldn't be interested in either subject matter, but meeting Dr. Dawkins would be more interesting to me would be FAR more interesting than discussing atheism or biology.

Again...I'm painting a broad brush and I'm sure that this isn't always the case. But it's been my general observation. I suspect this is why a lot of Intuitive's can perceive us Sensors as being shallow, which is unfair but understandable.

I see. So would you say, if you and an N were both approached by someone at the same time it would go certain ways for the both of you?

Quite likely but I suspect this has less to do with the difference between N's and S's and more to do with a myriad of other factors.

Like, you might go out with them because you think the person seems nice, attractive, and so on and the N might go out with them because they seem like someone things could work out with in the long-run, or someone they'd want to do various activities with? I dunno, a lot of mental chatter is going on in my head right now ahh! This is very interesting to learn about though haha.

Something like that. Whether I have a future with them is very important to me but when I first meet a potential partner the first things I look for are chemistry, whether we can talk to each other, and compatibility. Beyond that, I don't really tend to worry about "Is there a future here? What's their career choice?" and other such things that I feel are really malleable and prone to change. Focus on the fundamentals and work out the rest.

Of course, I'm single now, so there is a good possibility I may need to reevaluate how I approach relationships :laugh:

Aww, don't envy! You're an ISFJ - everything about ISFJs are just great. :newwink: But that's interesting though. Thanks for the reply!

Quite welcome, and thank you for the kind words, that's very sweet of you :wubbie:

But no, I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging my blind spots and admiring the people around me who excel in those areas. Gives me inspiration and something to work for! :solidarity:

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well if I'm not ISTP / ENTJ (and quite honestly I don't see myself as rational-dom type)...

So, here we go,

1. Relationship with "Aha!" "eureka" moments: lovely, just don't get them all the time. Also, when I try to look really deep into some logical concept, what its meaning really is, I like that too, it's just something so vague that it's hard to "grasp". I like intuitively thinking in mathematics and that one's not vague, it's strong and reliable. And I like relying on intuition in navigating around (physically in the world) but I'm not sure if that's MBTI N :p. Possibly just the gut instinct of Se, it's just that I don't focus on the details too closely to do it. (Got a broad spatial focus instead.)
...Well all that was for the positive part. I'm sure there's some more bits but I didn't think of those right now.

Negative relationship: I don't care about "future possibilities" but see below for more on that. I also don't care about analysing in some broader context the real life situations in-the-moment. I don't want to get distracted from living all of it through.

2. Intuitive types, I don't think I understand them but I don't have an issue with them
Some of them can seem very interesting ;p

3. I don't think that much about the future. If I do, it is to give me a direction, goals. "Future possibilities" sounds annoying. Why spend my time imagining unlikely BS? Sorry not trying to belittle types who do like doing that.

4. How it shapes my worldview... it gives this uh, objectivity but not in the sense of knowing everything of course. I just often have no evaluation of stuff. And, on a philosophical level, it is a strong reliance on reification.

5. Pragmatism? I don't know how strong the correlation is, I'm willing to believe there is some.

6. Imagination: thinking up stories is enjoyable sometimes. Just like reading a fiction book. No daydreaming about my life however.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

See that's the thing I wouldn't want to be doing much. Thinking about the future this much all the time, no not my thing. Why not just live it instead of imagining it. You still sound N to me ;)

I know you asked someone else about that, but I'll say, I find cooking incredibly boring if it takes longer than a minimal amount of time thus I view it as a waste of time. As for bills being paid, it can be sorted in a few seconds online, no need to give it more thought.

I see. So would you say, if you and an N were both approached by someone at the same time it would go certain ways for the both of you? Like, you might go out with them because you think the person seems nice, attractive, and so on and the N might go out with them because they seem like someone things could work out with in the long-run, or someone they'd want to do various activities with? I dunno, a lot of mental chatter is going on in my head right now ahh! This is very interesting to learn about though haha.

That's such stereotyping there... I've been called shallow (and I disagree) but trust me I would go out with someone for a longer time only on the basis of whether I think things could work out in the long run and yep doing whatever activities together is good too, why did you assign that to N?

Though I will say I don't do a thorough evaluation about the future right away. I let it come through experiences. If that makes sense.

And it's true that physical appearance matters a lot to me. (Why the hell is that a "shallow" thing?)

No need, and I apologize if I came off as being rude or abrasive there. I don't know if it's the jump in testosterone because I'm working out a lot now, but I'm finding generally that I'm getting more aggressive and impatient as of late. I don't know.

Either way, I'm sorry if I came off as an ass :sorry:

Gotta be a subjective thing, because it didn't seem rude at all, just noting your logical opinion about something.

Does that help? ;p

I think either or are unite capable of the basic tasks of daily life. I think a good example might be that I would be interested that Richard Dawkins might be speaking that night at an event and an intuitive might be more concerned with whether he's discussing atheism or biology. Not that I wouldn't be interested in either subject matter, but meeting Dr. Dawkins would be more interesting to me would be FAR more interesting than discussing atheism or biology.

Again...I'm painting a broad brush and I'm sure that this isn't always the case. But it's been my general observation. I suspect this is why a lot of Intuitive's can perceive us Sensors as being shallow, which is unfair but understandable.

Yep it's unfair. I've been called shallow by some N recently because I have a bag that has the picture of a cat on it and I showed it to him happily. What?

Hmmm yeah it would be interesting to meet Dawkins. :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm very much the same way and I am an N. I am much better at taking things that already exist and putting them together in new ways than trying to come up with something entirely original. I wonder if most people are like that though. I'm skeptical about most things being totally original even if it appears that way on the outside. Even with things that look totally different and bizarre, there may have been some everyday mundane thing that inspired that.

I guess what makes me N is that I tend to focus more on possibilities and ideals and the future than on practical, in-the-moment things. But I can be very practical and in-the-moment when needed.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, it's like…every time I see some N, I shoot it with my trusty rifle.

Them Ns aint gonna catch me nappin, no sir.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

Hmm...

[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] [MENTION=11928]Vetani[/MENTION] [MENTION=15167]The Iron Giant[/MENTION] [MENTION=8485]tinker683[/MENTION] [MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION] [MENTION=4358]Jeffster[/MENTION] :D

Hope it doesnt seem like im generalizing, but a general rule that I have recognized is that the more Se some one has, the more impatient that they are about little things.

Where my Se's at? I doubt they will disagree.

To answer your question for the Se doms, Im pretty sure that they spend minimal time "imagining" or perceiving situations that have not yet happened.
This does not mean that they do not judge actions of people or judge what they should do in life.
They are 2 differen things.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For the ESPs and ISJs here. I'm genuinely curious.

Hi honey. :)

What's your relationship with Intuition?

I value it, and it's something I've been improving on over time. Trying to think of catchy headlines for that ad helps me work my Ne, while figuring out song lyrics work Ni. If anything I find that the lyrics keep you listening, whereas the beat catches you.

How do you view Intuitive types?

I don't view them any differently. Then again, how I see people is in terms of how they DON'T irritate me -- so if they don't, chances are I'm going to open up to them and see what their strengths are.

How do you view the future and the possibilities it holds?

The future is uncertain, and all hell breaks loose when it doesn't match up to what I expect. In this regard I try not to think so much about it, like the future/my expectation is EVERYTHING to me. I think it's important to have some sort of direction but never make the end point your everything. I find that taking the scenic route makes me happier and less brooding.

Possibilities are fun only when the activity is fun. I like to write ad copy, and thinking of different, catchy headlines is fun. It makes me laugh at all the different ideas and how ridiculous they are. But it's not fun when you're thinking of all the possible ways someone you love dearly is going to wrong you some way or another.

How does being S-dominant shape how you see the world and how you think?

I'm quite visual. To make sense of something, I have to be able to see it inside my head. That's why I was always good at language, because I could paint a picture with words. And to paint a picture with words implies that the word has its roots in a concrete object.

It's always been about what I can see right now, and it's about seeing myself in the future with what I have seen. I've never seen God before, and I can't see myself being close to God because I've never seen him (his form) in action.

Do you think you're more realistic/pragmatic than Intuitive types?

No. I can be every bit as idealistic about my love as any NF could be. Some NFs are even more realistic than I am when it comes to this.

How does your imagination operate?

This is going off the premise that every idea formed is a new version of what it used to be.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
You see everything as it is. You don't get angry when people make "transendentalist" vs "existentialist" arguments. You don't see the reciprocity of interaction between humans.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what's it like not coming up with new povs and crazy theories? and seeing numerous possibilites in a situation? but only stating the one that makes the most sense to you?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hope it doesnt seem like im generalizing, but a general rule that I have recognized is that the more Se some one has, the more impatient that they are about little things.

Where my Se's at? I doubt they will disagree.

To answer your question for the Se doms, Im pretty sure that they spend minimal time "imagining" or perceiving situations that have not yet happened.
This does not mean that they do not judge actions of people or judge what they should do in life.
They are 2 differen things.

I think you got those right. :)

what's it like not coming up with new povs and crazy theories? and seeing numerous possibilites in a situation? but only stating the one that makes the most sense to you?

The bolded, is that weird to you? :D To me the opposite is weird. :p Surely it's easier to stay with what's in front of you than trying to get your mind to wind up in some completely different place.