• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you attracted to people who represent your weaker functions?

á´…eparted

passages
Se doms are able to draw me in assuming their Se manifests in a physical manner. It can be very attractive to me. A big issue is if they mentally can't keep up with me. The biggest issue is most ESFP's I have met, we have very few common interests. If we do, we usually don't match in the areas. What I love most about ESFP's is they are able to draw aspects out of me that I don't usually like to (such as being competative, playful, and spontenious). I in turn can help ground them and get them to focus and not need to be constantly moving. So there is a ton of potential.

S

Stansmith

I like some overlap, myself. A couple of functions different, a couple the same, but different order. I like nerds who know interesting things and are funny. My husband is an INTP and I'm fairly smitten with him, except when he wakes me up. I don't like anybody who wakes me up no matter how much I like them when they aren't waking me up.

I don't dislike ESTPs, but I'm not especially attracted to them, either. Like, they can be fun to play with but I want to go home with my quiet, self-contained nerd. But I have a strong need for predictability because of my particular insecurities.

Yeah, I could also see myself having decent chemistry with an ENFP, as opposed to just an NTJ or SFP.

S

Stansmith

Yeah I gotta be able to do my thing. Te and Si bog me down and even make me feel incompetent at times.

I can see where you're coming from when it comes to ETJs...I'd say my interest in ENTJs is mainly from afar, although my limited experiences with a few well-balanced ENTJs (including a professor who actually self-typed as one) have been pleasant as opposed to domineering.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see where you're coming from when it comes to ETJs...I'd say my interest in ENTJs is mainly from afar, although my limited experiences with a few well-balanced ENTJs (including a professor who actually self-typed as one) have been pleasant as opposed to domineering.

not sure if i know any ENTJs. i imagine they'd be too intense for me, but i'm sure i could have a good friendship with one. i usually prefer introverts or EXXPs. i don't think i could keep up with an EXXJ or even want to try. i know quite a few ENFJs and an ESTJ, who some of my best friends. i just couldn't be in a romantic relationship with any of them. same with the Si-doms in my life. they're great friends, but there's no way i could date them.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like Ti. it challenges me, and in a positive relationship where i actually empathize with and try to understand the other person (and feel open to it because i receive the same), it helps that part of me awaken. i am also willing to ask for teaching. for me, there's a difference between that and being controlled, and there's a difference between that and simply being separated yet symbiotic. i'd like the relationship to promote growth, which starts with both qualities of relationship and my own accountability to learn and take responsibility for my own path.

Se is more difficult. sometimes i feel some chemistry, but unless i'm willing to let go of my sense of who i am more, it doesn't go very far, because the part of myself i most identify with struggles to feel truly seen. not that Ne can see it in my own terms either, but the way they can pull a rabbit out of a hat is reassuring to me that our guesses are as good as it gets, and i'm willing to give up more as a result of this and just let myself fall into it sometimes (even if i don't trust it socio-cognitively, i can sometimes trust it relationship-wise and in terms of my lust for possibilities). it works best if i try to understand the assumptions made and really then try to reflect on my experience and try to trace the path through it. it also sometimes just provides a collision of small hunches that leads me to a place that i've never been before, which is addicting.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when I was a kid, my friends tended to outgoing and did well in school the opposite of me.

rogue350

I'm really not attracted to people they represent my weaker functions. My sister is an ISFP and my mother is an ESFJ and I don't understand either of them. It seems like there is a language barrier between us. We don't have the same interests or approach to religion. It's difficult but I continue to live with them.

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I have a huge hard on for Te doms personality wise. ENTJs in particular. Just that decisive, "let's make every moment matter and hopefully get some fat cash in the process" attitude feels true to the person I want to be in life, so I naturally sit quietly and try to take notes in their presence. Si doms too to a lesser extent, I love their discipline and "my body is a temple," outlook on life, even if constant routine and protein shakes makes my Ne all edgy and pet lip.

If Jung's theory of the anima and individuation holds any weight, I'm sure there's an ESTJ out there that can push me towards this ideal, but until then, I'll try not be too black and white about the concept, especially when relationships are involved.

look.sky.ward

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not much. Ne is too distracted for my liking. Fe comes off as too much of a people pleaser to me. I'm attracted to people who seem to be independent of others' approval. Si... no.

ESFP represents my weaker functions. So it's a no.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that I get along great with ESFJs. I really like them! I assume this is because my strongest function (Ne) sort of inspires them (it's their tertiary) and vice-versa with their Fe. My aux is Ti, but it's not strong enough to be annoying to them, and their Si is not strong enough to make me feel totally inferior.

Si-doms really do make me feel like a dummy, though. I went out with this ISTJ guy who told me everything he knew about everything, and I became totally withdrawn by the end of our time together--I felt so retarded! That stuff about our inferior function making us feel inferior is totally true.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I do enjoy the clarity of hearing an unfiltered Te. Refreshing!

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm not sure. I kinda like Fi.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Not so much attracted to my opposite, function-wise. But recently realized the source of intense attraction in a relationship I once had with an ISFP was a combination of her Se-aux and Ni-tert meshing with my Ni-dom and Se-inf. That relationship was the most sensually amazing experience I have ever had with another human being - not only the sexual aspect (though that was amazing in itself) but also the deep shared sensual pleasures like music and food. It was like we resonated at the same frequency at the intersection of the intuitive and the sensual, and I credit her for naturally moving in ways that brought that shared sensuality into our shared experience (unfortunately we were sorely incompatible in other extremely significant ways, but that sensual-intuitive layer was quite extraordinary).

yeghor

There's definitely a physical attraction...but mental attraction not so much...

I think we are all allergic to/irritated by (and at the same time awed by) those who are dominant in our inferior function...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm somewhat turned off by the idea of looking for somebody to cover my gaps, the concept feels like it weakens me. It introduces a crutch.

YES.

Anima doesent mean inferior function, its a completely different concept. But yes im usually much more attracted to F than T types.

It doesn't mean the inferior, but it's generally understood to mean someone who embodies it, as it's experienced as "not yourself" or an opposite mentality, and thus represents the "feminine" part of yourself (or for a woman, the animus is the "masculine"). What is your understanding?

--------

I see myself in ESTJs a bit. But it's not a "me" I like. It's a nit-picky, critical, dismissive, harsh person I dislike. So I tend to be repelled by them; they're sort of what I resist in myself. Of course, they are not those things, or those negatives don't define them. So I have been friends with some & liked & respected some. They were smart, funny, friendly, and admirable in how much they accomplished.

But I like the method to my madness; I think I'd choke trying to manage my life as they do theirs. I never get a sense they admire me, outside of my fashion sense, and my ego requires admiration for attraction to occur. A lot of times they react to me like I'm some unruly person out to tear down civilization or a self-absorbed snob, or something like that, and this triggers my prejudices against them.

I don't generally find myself romantically attracted to ESTJs. I think the only two ESTJ men I thought were attractive were good-looking enough to chalk it up to the physical more than personal charm or any connection between us.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No...I scare them with Ne and they make me feel like an incompetent 5 year old with Si :ninja:

I am attracted to ISTPs though, basically those that are able to wield the functions I utterly am unaware of or suck at due to them being my shadow bottom two. It gives for a very alien/bodylanguage only attraction though as communication becomes automatically pushed out of your comfort zone.

I've noticed that the Ni-Se combo in general tends to do it for me though, with a slight penchant towards introverted thinkers.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it doesn't weaken you. it strengthens you. you might perceive that it weakens you because most people don't want to admit that they have weak areas, and even if they do, they don't want to admit that they can't patch the holes in the fences without any help. in reality, that's what makes them vulnerable.

i don't think it's a conscious process. i think we're unconsciously attracted to people who "cover our gaps," so to speak. the union increases the survival chances of each partner and even offspring, if you really think about it, in a world where predators are checking the fences for inconsistency.

I will agree to this and I only realised later why I wanted to find a clone of someone I was close with. Only to find out later that she was an ESFP. So I felt either instinctively or subconsciously drawn towards her, without knowing about MBTI in the first place.

wolfy

awsm
My opposite functions, weaker functions? Yeah, I am thinking not really.

flowerkin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find myself seeking the approval of xxTx often, but I can never make it work. My F is too strong, I guess - I ultimately find them too cold to pursue a relationship with.

I've never dated another xxxJ, but the "P" in my past partners has always caused problems. I do enjoy my relationships with extroverts more than my relationships with introverts, though... maybe my ideal partner would be ENFJ.