• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Month of birth and type [serious]

poll is public.

• Total voters

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
So, I have just read an article in a scientific magazine according to which traits such as susceptibility for depression,
the body size, life expectancy, etc. are related to the month one is born in.
The factor isn't actually the month of birth but the seasons one has grown up in their mother's belly.
The author of the magazine bases this on several studies. For example the one with the life expectancy is the result of an analysis
of 6 million registered deaths in Germany from 1992 to 2007, stating that people born in autumn and winter live longer than those born in spring and summer.

I found this quite interesting, so I want to know now, if MBTI, Enneagram or whatsoever is is also influenced by the month of birth.
I'm sorry I can't give a link for the article, since it was published in a german magazine and you would have to buy the whole edition
and pay an interpreter, but you get my certificate that it isn't bullshit.
Note: This poll is public. If you haven't got your type(s) standing in your profile, please post it below.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ. 5w6. sp/sx. February.
Skeptical.

You should link the article, regardless.. perhaps some Germans here will collaboratively translate it for us..
Right, Germans?! ..right... ? :puppy_dog_eyes:

R

Riva

For example the one with the life expectancy is the result of an analysis of 6 billion registered deaths in Germany from 1992 to 2007

???

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose you'd need to take into account the hemisphere where the person was born. :thinking: There are some Australians/New Zealanders/etc here.

Also, I think whatever conclusion you come up with using data from Germany won't work for a lot of other countries. Seasons can be much less differentiated depending on the place.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Yes, but I suppose the overwhelming amount of people here are from the temperature zone of the northern hemisphere, so everything season-related might a little inaccurate, but I guess it still works.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've read somewhere that from statistics people who die of old age tend to die shortly after their birthday -- maybe it's a psychological effect that people 'hang on' until after their birthday?

Sorry I can't provide a link or anything -- since I read that article when I was still in middle school. I think it's interesting though. I think in the past sick people who survived winter into spring tended to be able to recover, which can't be purely because it's getting warmer.

Lots of people 'hang on' until their loved ones can make it to their bedside too...

This is making me sad...

Sunny Ghost

So, I have just read an article in a scientific magazine according to which traits such as susceptibility for depression,
The factor isn't actually the month of birth but the seasons one has grown up in their mother's belly.
The author of the magazine bases this on several studies. For example the one with the life expectancy is the result of an analysis
of 6 million registered deaths in Germany from 1992 to 2007, stating that people born in autumn and winter live longer than those born in spring and summer.

I found this quite interesting, so I want to know now, if MBTI, Enneagram or whatsoever is is also influenced by the month of birth.
I'm sorry I can't give a link for the article, since it was published in a german magazine and you would have to buy the whole edition
Note: This poll is public. If you haven't got your type(s) standing in your profile, please post it below.
I've heard this before.

My birthday is in April and I'm an ISFP. Had been prone to depression most of my life.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting. I'm February, ENFP, 6w7.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP 7w6 so/sx. July. I'm a summer baby raised in a beach town. :blush: My inner cancer is happy.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP

February, INTJ. I was always tall for my age and have grappled with depression.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INFP type 4 so/sx April

I'm intrigued by this topic.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So this poll is only for people from the Northern Hemisphere... :dry:

INFP 4w5 born in September (SPRING)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
March. ENFP 7. I've been struggling with depression (misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder) since I was a teen (so much for the myth of "ENFP 7s don't get depressed!" :dry: ). I was born and lived most of my life in a subtropic zone.

I've read something about susceptibility to depression being tied to birth month/season. I don't think that type is though.

á´…eparted

passages
I feel like this is a pile of horseshit? I see absolutely no reason what so ever how birth month could have even a slight influence on personality or type. I generally think it is a bad idea to over-extrapolate the data of research, because it often can lead one astray. If there is a link, I suspect it is really really weak. There are way more major factors that would influence personality.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but no one has said it yet.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel like this is a pile of horseshit? I see absolutely no reason what so ever how birth month could have even a slight influence on personality or type. I generally think it is a bad idea to over-extrapolate the data of research, because it often can lead one astray. If there is a link, I suspect it is really really weak. There are way more major factors that would influence personality.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but no one has said it yet.

Well, about the only scientific justification for time of year effects on personality have to do with the interaction of critical periods of development with environmental effects. One could imagine that being mostly stuck indoors for the winter during a critical period for physical development might turn someone away from physical pursuits (as a highly simplified example).

Studies have, in fact, found such an effect (even though it's pretty slight). Of course, this means that such seasonal effects would offset by six months when comparing the northern and southern hemispheres (and such effects would be far more minor around the equator).

á´…eparted

passages
Well, about the only scientific justification for time of year effects on personality have to do with the interaction of critical periods of development with environmental effects. One could imagine that being mostly stuck indoors for the winter during a critical period for physical development might turn someone away from physical pursuits (as a highly simplified example).

Studies have, in fact, found such an effect (even though it's pretty slight). Of course, this means that such seasonal effects would offset by six months when comparing the northern and southern hemispheres (and such effects would be far more minor around the equator).

While I can see that, I have a really hard time seeing how that could have a measurable effect on a specefic part of personality that MBTI measures. If just for the fact that even in the northern hemisphere, seasonal changes and differences vary quite a lot.

If you've seen a study, I suppose that is something. There you have it though, it's very slight. Overall I don't think it would impact the person.