• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing Your Friends, Associates, Comrades?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wonder how you all generally learn about the types of others. For example, a typical throwaway line found in a post might be something like "An ESTP I know"... What I always wonder is, How do people learn types of others?

Do you ask, or do you utilize some kind of 'observation-based typing' method?

Murrdogg

I observe & analyze. Then, match up traits & getting to know the way they decide their actions & view their perceptions. Not difficult for me.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I observe & analyze. Then, match up traits & getting to know the way they decide their actions & view their perceptions. Not difficult for me.

Okay, but how long do you think it would take? And how well would you need to know them?

Sunny Ghost

Some people are quicker to type than others. Some people completely baffle me and I can't figure out their type for years. But, yeah... learning about MBTI, the functions, and then observation.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty much the same as everyone else said. I observe and match up traits. Sometimes I can't figure them out for a while though. If they're close to me I can sometimes get them to take a test. Others are blatantly obvious. I'm not the best at it yet though.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I observe the way they communicate verbally and in writing, which reveals their thought patterns. Basically, I look for evidence of the functions that they appear to prefer. Some like Ne or Si tend to jump out at me. Others like Ni or Se seem harder to identify. I try and determine what kind of temperament they are (NT, SJ, SP or NF). I assess whether they seem to be an introvert or an extrovert. I also try and get a sense as to whether they appear to be an intuitive or a sensing type. So my conclusions are a combination of these things. Sometimes I ask them.

Some people are much harder to type than others.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep it simple. And some people will probably say that I stereotype... >.>

I was taught to go by preference of letters first.

1) I find out if the person is either an I/E, S/N, F/T, or J/P preference. I skip a set of letters if the person feels like they're both. For example I would leave the space blank if I knew the person was an ES_ J.

a) I do this by observing
b) And I do this by asking them questions​

• I often know when someone is an Introverted Feeler by facial expressions
  • Same for Extraverted Feeler
  • Once I have those two things down I automatically cut out 8 other types. Ex: If the person is FP or TJ, they're introverted feelers. They just don't "emote" like a TP or FJ

Then if I'm stuck and I don't get an insight about the person that fits with a type, I look at the functions.

I use the functions as a way to double check everything. I don't primarily use them as a way of typing people though. I hate doing that. It takes much longer for me to get context for figuring out only their functions.

That's an extremely simplistic outline of the way I do it.

If I don't know the person, and it's only a matter of seconds. I use body language and facial expressions and I can usually figure out the last 2 letters.