• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Know What Your Problem Is?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, do you? :)

It seems to be a most favorite past-time online to tell everyone else what their problems are, but this is a thread with one rule: You cannot tell anyone else what their personality problems are, but you may share a description of you own problems.

I'm looking forward to doing this. :unsure:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Inner not knowing. Insecurity. Indecision. Where many people seem to feel a magnetic "calling", I seem to feel tiny whispers of breezes in many directions. I feel like I am forever recentering. Rumi said, "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray." Which pull? I think I somehow failed at the Eriksonian stage of identity definition.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
low self esteem, correcting people when they're wrong, forgetting to eat when running around with my head chopped off, forgetting to shower if i'm running around with my head chopped off, not eating healthy, not keeping in touch with people I care about.easily overwhelmed

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Inner not knowing. Insecurity. Indecision. Where many people seem to feel a magnetic "calling", I seem to feel tiny whispers of breezes in many directions. I feel like I am forever recentering. Rumi said, "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray." Which pull? I think I somehow failed at the Eriksonian stage of identity definition.

This.

I seem to lack the ability to manifest. Like..ANYTHING. Though I've recently had the epiphany that, as an ENFP, my way of manifesting is probably in this way. Doing all things at the same time, working in projects, losing interest and coming back to it and slowly building up a skill set in 5-6 things at the same time and truly being a Jack of All Trades. Since most people prefer a more linear process, it's always made me look and feel more rudderless in comparison, but now I'm wondering if I'm just chasing ghosts and fighting my own nature - which only seems to throw me into extreme procrastination mode and cost me oodles of time and energy.

So, I decided to conduct a little experiment where I just give my whims free reign - which Im lucky enough to be in the position to try out. One day I'll plunge myself into the Norwegian language with zeal, the next into how Wordpress works, the day after we'll do a full body work out in Yoga and Dance, and the day after that we'll write an entire day. All I can do is see if it actually gets me anywhere, instead of driving myself batty trying to confine myself to one path :shrug:

The only exception are the things that need to be taken care of routinely, but those I've got down to a T anyways and they get handled Te-style: quick, efficiently and without much fuss. If need be, I'll put together a day with only those tasks to get them out of my way so I can fully delve back into where my heart takes me next.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of my personality problems result from being too Ni-heavy, so that I'm trying to process the Big Picture, and I am in a constant state of biting off more than I can chew.

One problem comes in trying to find core elements of larger systems, so that I can organize the sea of reality. When this is combined with my anxiety or distortions from experience, it can create an inner landscape of fractures occurring at multiple levels, so when the earthquake of pain is set off, I become broken at the core. This type of inner obsession is like clinging to a tree in a storm and only happens in a state of anxiety. When at peace I take in the vast expanse without judgment and feel enlightened. The levels of emotional pain I feel are something I have hidden most of my life by finding a place to be alone to have a break-down. More recently partners have seen it and are frightened, confused, and overwhelmed by the intensity of it. I end up having to live in fear of it.

A second problem comes from organizing reality along continuums of mutually exclusive poles. In this way you can create an enormous inner concept of reality that is flexible. This is helpful except that I am aware of the extremes of every concept, and once again, when subjected to stress I can become too aware of extremes, rather than a sense of flexible balance. I will consider extremes as greater possibilities than they are. In this way my ability to reason can become distorted and I am aware of some capacity to believe the ridiculous.

A third problem is related to empathy which can become a vice when over-extended. I become hyper-aware of the feelings of those I'm with and can reach an unhealthy point of not being able to identify my needs. The moment someone else walks into a room I have no clue what I want to watch, what I want to eat, or even for certain how I'm feeling. It is a strength at work when compartmentalized and working with just one person at a time, but in my home life I probably need extended periods of isolation where the only thing to feel and think are my own thoughts. This is also not a claim at being virtuous because this ability to diminish self leads to an unconscious anger which can erupt unexpectedly when others exploit the quality. For this reason I need close confidants who are aware of external boundaries, so they can push back against my obliviousness. Also related to this is a penchant for self-loathing.

I've also noticed that when stressed, I will have fluctuating boundaries. I will become intensely private and share nothing, or fall into complete self-exposure. I can keep dysfunctional people at a healthy distance, and then suddenly one randomly breaks through and hurts me. I can go from being suspicious and skeptical about others and then fall into complete trust of someone. I long for inner consistency and it is a core drive in my life, but I have to work very hard to maintain it because I am trying to reconcile every extreme, to discover order in the vast expanse which I cannot ever fully see, but must just extrapolate to make sense of.

So simply put, when subjected to stress I can become emotionally obsessive, depressive, and distorted in my thinking.

There is more, but that's for starters.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So, I decided to conduct a little experiment where I just give my whims free reign - which Im lucky enough to be in the position to try out. One day I'll plunge myself into the Norwegian language with zeal, the next into how Wordpress works, the day after we'll do a full body work out in Yoga and Dance, and the day after that we'll write an entire day. All I can do is see if it actually gets me anywhere, instead of driving myself batty trying to confine myself to one path :shrug:

Yay! Please let us know how it goes. I'll be so curious to hear.

I've been trying to figure out my future career path and it's been evolving like this: psychologist -> editor -> doctor -> physical therapist -> PT and yoga instructor -> PT, yoga instructor, and artist... it's getting wider. Might as well. Feel like I always move towards wider anyway.

fia said:
The levels of emotional pain I feel are something I have hidden most of my life by finding a place to be alone to have a break-down. More recently partners have seen it and are frightened, confused, and overwhelmed by the intensity of it. I end up having to live in fear of it.

:( :hug: I understand this. My partner has seen me at my worst and it freaked him out. It's nothing new to me, I hit it cyclically. But he thought I needed professional attention. No, this is just part of being an NF, I think.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yay! Please let us know how it goes. I'll be so curious to hear.

I've been trying to figure out my future career path and it's been evolving like this: psychologist -> editor -> doctor -> physical therapist -> PT and yoga instructor -> PT, yoga instructor, and artist... it's getting wider. Might as well. Feel like I always move towards wider anyway.

Heh, yeah I hear ya. Im going: interpreter -> writer -> blogger -> online entrepreneur -> psychologist -> animal behaviourist -> animal trainer -> etc etc etc

From what I can see, and the pattern I'm creating, I'm banking on online entrepreneur as it will allow me to do it all to the degree that *I* want to do it, and sample several projects at once, while hopefully finding the network connections I need to basically be a professional Jack of All Traits. And then it is a matter of seeing which trait becomes dominant. Fuck it, I suck at planning and sticking to a plan, so might as well just go with what I do naturally :D

Don't hold your breath though, I've been struggling with this for years :doh:

:( :hug: I understand this. My partner has seen me at my worst and it freaked him out. It's nothing new to me, I hit it cyclically. But he thought I needed professional attention. No, this is just part of being an NF, I think.

It certainly seems to be. Mine didn't know - and sometimes still doesn't know - what do either, but, I'm fortunate enough that he trusts me to sort it out instead of panicking as that is pretty much part of my tasks within our relationship. He also knows it is a pattern that comes and goes but he often is sort of at a loss as to what to do about it. He'll take instruction though and I have been known to spell out step by step when to hold me, when to let me cry and when to run through things with me. It is kind of weird to comfort and tell someone they are doing great as you are teaching them how to comfort you in that particular moment. It becomes rather meta - and occasionally is a bit much on top of it all. Still, he's come a long way and does a great job these days. It's kind of like teaching someone in the bedroom, tbh. :shrug:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From what I can see, and the pattern I'm creating, I'm banking on online entrepreneur as it will allow me to do it all to the degree that *I* want to do it, and sample several projects at once, while hopefully finding the network connections I need to basically be a professional Jack of All Traits. And then it is a matter of seeing which trait becomes dominant. Fuck it, I suck at planning and sticking to a plan, so might as well just go with what I do naturally :D

Hahaha true.

It certainly seems to be. Mine didn't know - and sometimes still doesn't know - what do either, but, I'm fortunate enough that he trusts me to sort it out instead of panicking as that is pretty much part of my tasks within our relationship. He also knows it is a pattern that comes and goes but he often is sort of at a loss as to what to do about it. He'll take instruction though and I have been known to spell out step by step when to hold me, when to let me cry and when to run through things with me. It is kind of weird to comfort and tell someone they are doing great as you are teaching them how to comfort you in that particular moment. It becomes rather meta - and occasionally is a bit much on top of it all. Still, he's come a long way and does a great job these days. It's kind of like teaching someone in the bedroom, tbh. :shrug:

:laugh: I know what you mean! I have guided mine, too. But he has been very supportive overall, which I am grateful for. Unfortunately I think the internal quality of it is what is so NF about it - they can't know what to do because it's so intrinsic to us what we need. But actually it occurs to me that is an interesting manifestation of inner knowing on our parts, even though it is what we both struggle with. As we are figuring out ourselves we are able to guide others to help us on our way. I feel like we have that capacity in the external world, too, which is why I have long been drawn to roles where I am able to support and guide someone in their growth, because walking with them through their growth allows me to walk in step with my own.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahaha true.

:laugh: I know what you mean! I have guided mine, too. But he has been very supportive overall, which I am grateful for. Unfortunately I think the internal quality of it is what is so NF about it - they can't know what to do because it's so intrinsic to us what we need. But actually it occurs to me that is an interesting manifestation of inner knowing on our parts, even though it is what we both struggle with. As we are figuring out ourselves we are able to guide others to help us on our way. I feel like we have that capacity in the external world, too, which is why I have long been drawn to roles where I am able to support and guide someone in their growth, because walking with them through their growth allows me to walk in step with my own.

Yeah, definitely. The thing is, at some point you have to take charge - and god knows I don't do taking charge normally but this is an exception - and heal yourself emotionally with their support. It is no different than him telling me to take care of this set of tasks so we can execute his vision and move our lives forward, while having him review my work. Granted, it is a bit weird, like a doctor walking a layman through how to take a bullet out of his leg, but as long as they agree to it, I say use them for the blunt instrument that they are and is at your disposal, seriously. It makes him feel better than sitting there helpless and worrying over me.

I hear you on the draw towards those kind of professions, but ime, as much as early experimentation on yourself is good for your skill level, serious emotional surgery is a lot easier done on someone else than on yourself - even with the aid of a willing beloved. Still..it has a certain feeling of accomplishment and amusement value when you look back at it afterwards though :wink:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also in relationships I tend to be self-depricating and apologize too often. I tend to feel unloved and rejected easily which ends up as me needing more reassurance than I should need. I've hurt people with this tendency.

I tend to feel responsible for things outside my control which also leads to anxiety, is not rational, and is probably my most imposed sense of self. My own reasoning is not whether or not it is in my control, but just a desperation to fix it at any cost.

I'm also extremely spacey which can result in me not being as responsible as I feel I should be, but on a positive note I do give other people a great allowance to be forgetful and make honest mistakes.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, definitely. The thing is, at some point you have to take charge - and god knows I don't do taking charge normally but this is an exception - and heal yourself emotionally with their support. It is no different than him telling me to take care of this set of tasks so we can execute his vision and move our lives forward, while having him review my work. Granted, it is a bit weird, like a doctor walking a layman through how to take a bullet out of his leg, but as long as they agree to it, I say use them for the blunt instrument that they are and is at your disposal, seriously. It makes him feel better than sitting there helpless and worrying over me.

I hear you on the draw towards those kind of professions, but ime, as much as early experimentation on yourself is good for your skill level, serious emotional surgery is a lot easier done on someone else than on yourself - even with the aid of a willing beloved. Still..it has a certain feeling of accomplishment and amusement value when you look back at it afterwards though :wink:

Lol, that is true.

Though, sometimes - and maybe this is in part thanks to my boyfriend's Fe - if I just let go of myself and my hangups, I can let him take charge and heal me, I think. Or (apparently I am in a Rumi mood), there is another Rumi quote that says something like "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it". And he is maybe very good at getting me to let down my walls so that the love that exists all around can flow in. Often the most powerful moments of healing for me seem to be more submission and acceptance and flow than active restructuring on my part.

I have to admit, I am not sure how long I could withstand emotional surgery on another person. When I first got out of college, I considered becoming a counselor, but I quickly found how incredibly drained I got from interacting directly with people's emotions and trying to "parry" with them. I get too drawn back into myself - I have poor emotional boundaries, and I suspect yours are better. I feel too much like a mirror. I like when there is a medium in between to focus on, some goal we are working on together, because then I can support and encourage and help heal with that structured boundary in place to ensure the roles don't change.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol, that is true.

Though, sometimes - and maybe this is in part thanks to my boyfriend's Fe - if I just let go of myself and my hangups, I can let him take charge and heal me, I think. Or (apparently I am in a Rumi mood), there is another Rumi quote that says something like "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it". And he is maybe very good at getting me to let down my walls so that the love that exists all around can flow in. Often the most powerful moments of healing for me seem to be more submission and acceptance and flow than active restructuring on my part.

I have to admit, I am not sure how long I could withstand emotional surgery on another person. When I first got out of college, I considered becoming a counselor, but I quickly found how incredibly drained I got from interacting directly with people's emotions and trying to "parry" with them. I get too drawn back into myself - I have poor emotional boundaries, and I suspect yours are better. I feel too much like a mirror. I like when there is a medium in between to focus on, some goal we are working on together, because then I can support and encourage and help heal with that structured boundary in place to ensure the roles don't change.

You aint alone on that, I too get drained. I can do a sprint, but not a marathon of that stuff. Once it turns into a marathon, I need to either see steady progress, and have indeed a goal we're both working together on, or I need the other person to be ok with me not providing them with answers and just be a soundboard for them to use. I cannot be the only one who puts in the leg work, but I'm willing to either do my share, or sit down with you in the mud without any expectations. If I get guilt tripped for not saving them when they aren't ready to be saved, I start putting up a shield coz otherwise it drains my battery completely. I can recharge from seeing them grow and put in the work, and I can muck about without having to invest much energy...but I cannot do both without any place to put in my plug, either.

And for that matter, much like your first paragraph describes - and its what I do usually when I handle my own wounds without asking for his assistance - people need to learn to be ok with being wounded and taking the time, and the help they receive to gain their bearings and heal. There is no point in making someone with a broken leg walk, before it is healed - and sitting down with them and being a soundboard does that. Once it is time for physiotherapy, I'm all for supporting them as they attempt to walk...as long as they aren't using me as a piggyback. At some point, you have to do the work, be uncomfortable and find out just how strong you are.

More on topic:

I'm a horrible flake. I'm getting better as I rid myself of the triggers that cause it, but I haven't worked through it all yet - and I *hate* that i procrastinate and run from those things, but I cannot seem to control that knee-jerk reaction yet. Mostly, the cause is that I don't know how to handle the situation or need tim to digest and my penchant for avoidance kicks in. Coupled with my chaotic nature, it often turns out wrong as I forget to get back to it :doh:

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an egocentric, overly progressive, unentertainable attention whore. And while you'd probably expect me to be the dumbest person ever, my IQ happens to be 140. Which drives me crazy, because I have to deal with realizing that people who are supposedly more clever than me actually happen to be total retards. ALL. THE. TIME.

I often don't care whether people like me or not, as long as they make me feel like I'm being noticed. I also tend to get pissed off when someone who I don't think deserves attention (because they're boring) gets more attention than I do. I strongly dislike boring people, to the point that I think they're evil. Others think I'm exaggerating.

I'm lazy, unless I really care about something. I neglect the serious things in my life when I feel like my social life is more important, but once the serious things get too important, I neglect my social life. It's one or the other. It's just a sign of me egocentrism. I like a lot of people, but there are few I really care about. I mostly care about me. It's bad, but I'll admit it.

Mostly I'm too much of a good thing, others can't really take it. Too competitive. Too realistic (others hate me for ruining their fantasy worlds). Too free (others despise me for it). I read an article about how funny people show signs of psychological discomfort and when I looked at the list of symptoms, I realized I might suffer from too much sense of humor. And I don't even think I'm funny.

But I think my biggest problem is I'm not boring enough and boring people are intimidating to me.

Permabanned
It ain't just a river in Egypt, is it. :D

Idk what you're referencing to...

G

garbage

Every 'problem' I have can also equally be couched as a strength--except for a particular mental illness that sometimes has me questioning my own perception and judgments, lopping off some of my own potential, isolating myself from others, and instilling huge existential crises. "Is it that thing talking, or is it just me? How much autonomy do I actually have over myself? How much autonomy does anyone have, really? What separates me from the murderers, thieves, and rapists of the world?" And so on.

There's a 'strength' to experiencing that for a short time as a reality check, but it's not worth experiencing over and over.

Sunny Ghost

My problems? I have lots, I'm certain. For one, I'm not perfect. I'm self centered. I can be manipulative in arguments towards those I'm upset with and see as weaker than myself. I like to win arguments. I tend to think too highly of myself and then flip to being insecure. I'm hyper aware of myself when I'm not engaged in conversation. And I tend to not think enough when I talk aloud amongst peers. This causes me a lot of anxiety. I over analyze my actions and words, as well as the actions and words of others. But mostly myself. I'm short sided and trying hard to become a long term thinker, so as a result, I'm irritated by friends who live in the moment and see them as stagnant. It's a reflection of someone I once was and am trying to get away from. I'm easily irritated by people in my space. Like roommates. I need to learn how to live better with others. It can't always be about me and what I want.

Dude. This! I feel that pain.