• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts and long periods of isolation.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Extroverts, how do you start behaving/feeling after long periods of isolation? Do you lose energy and get lethargic, or do you turn all buzzy and anxious? How long is too long? What strange things do you do in closed off rooms during those times and what got you there in the first place?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Extroverts, how do you start behaving/feeling after long periods of isolation? Do you lose energy and get lethargic, or do you turn all buzzy and anxious?
I veer abruptly and uncomfortably between those two extremes -- usually lethargic, but then a manic Te voice jumping in and saying "YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING", followed by a spurt of pointless productivity, then even more lethargy. Rinse, repeat.
How long is too long?
Depends on whether or not I have anything fun planned. Doesn't matter if the fun thing is with friends or not. As long as I have something to motivate me, I'm happy alone.

Edit: If the one and only fun thing was like three or four days in advance, I might still get lethargic. I'd need to keep myself busy in the meantime, with things that I find "important".
What strange things do you do in closed off rooms during those times
Sometimes I make exclamations and laugh scornfully at myself -- but that's rare, and only if I feel strongly about something.
and what got you there in the first place?
?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroverts, how do you start behaving/feeling after long periods of isolation? Do you lose energy and get lethargic, or do you turn all buzzy and anxious?
like EJCC said, i go back and forth. i'll get really lazy feeling, and then suddenly get bursts of energy where i feel like i gotta move around. i also feel this like great sense of opportunity when i'm alone for a long time. like i have all this glorious time to do literally whatever i want with. it's overwhelming, and i often end up with a lot of half-started projects. more often than not, i just get really into learning about something online, and go down rabbit holes like that. also, loud music. every time.

How long is too long?
yeah, depends on the circumstances. time kinda flies when i'm alone and occupied, and i often end up feeling like i didn't get enough time to finish all of those grand ideas i had at the beginning of my isolation period. sometimes i get restless and need to take a walk or a drive though.

What strange things do you do in closed off rooms during those times and what got you there in the first place?
hah, singing and dancing is probably my strangest thing. sometimes i speak out loud, practicing spanish, thinking aloud to myself, or otherwise speaking fun or meaningful words (like practicing accents or reading poems). i dunno i probably do other weird stuff too. that's the nice thing about being alone. whatever weirdness comes up, you have the option to entertain it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very similar to nic and sometimes I feel like I completely geek out and it takes me a min to remember how to speak to people. I've had that happen often enough to mention it. I can't really explain what I mean by that do you're just going to have to use your enfp powers on that one.

But yeah I get super drained feeling like I need someone to come over and chat with me for a min to reset me or something.

So I usually fuck around for a loooong time and then have to do something.

Sunny Ghost

Oooh, I've been wondering about this too. An eSFP friend of mine is going through a weird phase. He's becoming paranoid. I had always saw him as an ESFP 7w8, but this new depressive phase that he is in is making me wonder.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Extroverts, how do you start behaving/feeling after long periods of isolation? Do you lose energy and get lethargic, or do you turn all buzzy and anxious? How long is too long? What strange things do you do in closed off rooms during those times and what got you there in the first place?

Ugh. Both. I get bluh and impatient. I think 8 hours is usually too long. I sing, take videos of myself, lay on the floor and draw, clean, organize, dance to music, try on new outfits, do crazy makeup, and so on. It's appealing if there aren't practical things to get done in my life. If they are I usually freak out because having people around helps me get motivated for the practical things.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There a kind of progression for me, after a couple weeks without meaningful contact I start getting anxious, but then after that phase I get slow and unmotivated. I'm prone to lots of web browsing and Netflix watching, usually a comfort show (Freaks and Geeks). Then a switch flips and I get energetic again and start entertaining myself by taking on an odd project that I find amusing, or learning a dance move, riding my bike, or taking photos. But without outside contact my brain still feels introverted, and doesn't seem to function the same.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just read a book or chat online

so it's all fine though I do have to leave the house regularly enough to go here or there even if alone

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My biggest requirement for contact with people is "contact with the right people."
I make it a point to keep current with those near and dear to me, and thankfully relationships are two way streets and so half the time they get ahold if me.
So, if I don't hear from my "inner circle peeps" I do miss them and then call/e-/text/show up on doorstep at 3:30 AM, etc. :newwink:

At times, I do get the urge to just "socialize with random people" and that's when an ad-hoc trip to nearby restaurant/bar equipped with a TV is real handy. :cheers: This typically occurs when I've been pent up working on alot of stuff fir days and days. :shock: :BangHead: :laugh:

Symptoms of me feeling isolated? Ohhh I get irritable :ranting: But, luckily I'm self aware and adjust accordingly - most of the time. :whistling:

If I'm busy doing things of my choosing & interest - I can cruise for quite a long time. If I'm slammed & balls to the wall busy with other people's stuff (aka "work") then I need to depressurize with some type of meaningful socialization from time to time in order to keep a sufficient level of zest in my every day life.

All work and no play makes Halla a dull boy. :angry:

Cheers!

:hifive:

-Halla74

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I get depressed when I'm alone for too long. I need time for myself frequently, but I couldn't stand a week or even a few days being completely isolated from people. I would get crazy out of boredom. Being alone for one day is quite nice, but everything longer is bad. I'm not the type of person who enjoys talking to people on parties, unless I'm drunk or know them very well, but still, I'm an extrovert, so yeah.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm technically Ne-dom, but I don't really feel like an extrovert. I'm one of the mythic "introverted extroverts", and basically, I live in isolation.

Luckily, the nature of Ne is such that I find that as long as I'm interacting in some form (chatting online, doing a project, speculating on world events, etc) and switching that around a lot, I'm okay.

I do know the feelings of being pent-up, though, and feeling like I'm about to go batshit if I don't talk to someone. Basically, as an E, I do have to process externally to come to conclusions. This isn't always easy for me to do given both my isolation and the weirdness of my thoughts...so generally I just write stuff down instead.

If I get depressed, it's generally for more existential reasons ("I have no friends.... :( ")

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because my ideas are so awesome, I deserve not one, not two, but three--count em THREE--posts.

Deleted.

Last edited:

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
I don't know whether I'm an extrovert, but I'll take a shot nonetheless. The only reason I still enjoy solitude is because of the internet. Simple. Or books and television, when I was younger. Put me in a room without internet, books or television and I'll begin to deteriorate both mentally and psychologically. Seriously, even with my imagination, I cannot envisage being alone in a room without internet for more than 6 or 7 hours (without books and television, probably 2 hours). When I'm alone in my home and deprived of these luxuries (when I'm grounded, yes, I still have 2 more months in high school), I tend to either walk around the house introspecting or on the balcony looking at the world!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Definitely buzzy and anxious, sometimes lethargic. But mostly kind of hyperish, in a bad way. :17425:

Duration depends on a lot of things. If I've really recently been very social I can go awhile. I go stir crazy pretty fast though. I have a hard time staying home for more than a day. It's a bit different when I'm at school, because I move around quite a bit on campus. But, if I'm at my parents on a break I have to leave every day. Even if I'm just going to a coffee shop to read and people watch. If I have something to look forward to I do better.

When left alone I tend to skip instead of walk. If my roommates are all gone I definitely sing in the shower. If I'm starting to feel stir crazy but have no real reason to go anywhere I might have a little dance party by myself. I also watch a lot of sitcoms. I pretty much always have music playing if I'm alone.

Generally the only times I'm alone are if all the people I live with are out. Which is pretty rare, since I have 4 roommates. But when it does happen, sometimes I go to a coffee shop or something. I can't focus on homework when it's too quiet and still.

Side note: I also have ADHD, so that definitely adds my general twitchiness and need for stimulation. :bunnyglee:

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I become either tired or restless depending on my mood. I need outside intellectual stimulation and I have trouble using my own thoughts to entertain myself. Ironically, it is a big reason I like internet message boards. :D

Though I am an extravert, I am not really a very sociable person, it is just that I cannot live inside my own head for long periods, I need external stimulation or else I feel like my brain starts going around in circles and I feel like something out of the movie "Groundhog Day". I start having conversations with myself just to keep me stimulated.

EDIT: It seems like all of us Ne-Doms in this thread have ADHD, LMAO!

Last edited:

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
like EJCC said, i go back and forth. i'll get really lazy feeling, and then suddenly get bursts of energy where i feel like i gotta move around. i also feel this like great sense of opportunity when i'm alone for a long time. like i have all this glorious time to do literally whatever i want with. it's overwhelming, and i often end up with a lot of half-started projects. more often than not, i just get really into learning about something online, and go down rabbit holes like that. also, loud music. every time.

yeah, depends on the circumstances. time kinda flies when i'm alone and occupied, and i often end up feeling like i didn't get enough time to finish all of those grand ideas i had at the beginning of my isolation period. sometimes i get restless and need to take a walk or a drive though.

hah, singing and dancing is probably my strangest thing. sometimes i speak out loud, practicing spanish, thinking aloud to myself, or otherwise speaking fun or meaningful words (like practicing accents or reading poems). i dunno i probably do other weird stuff too. that's the nice thing about being alone. whatever weirdness comes up, you have the option to entertain it.

OMG, get outta my head!!! :shock:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't... I don't remember ever being alone for more than a few days. I didn't realize it until I read this thread.

Because of that though, I do know how I am when I need to introspect and go 'couch veggie' and dirty for a bit and have to have an audience while doing it. I'm generally pretty quiet and if I have to speak, it's short and to the point. Maybe even just a nod and 'mhmm'. I go between that end of the spectrum to small bursts of caring what they're talking about and then wrapping it up quickly.

I imagine though that if I were forced to be alone for more than a few days, I'd reach out somehow, even if it's just to read or listen to other people's ideas and answer to myself (or out loud - usually out loud). Being forced to be alone when I don't NEED to be alone generally ends with either complete laziness to the point of unconsciousness or extreme energy to the point of obsession.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

I start having thoughts that no one cares about me and that Im a lone wanderer in a wasteland apocalypse and that one dude looked at me funny yesterday while that other fucker is trying to convince everyone that Im an idiot...

Then my friends ask me how Im doing and the sun starts shining again.