• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you see the problem with typing others? Is it worth it?

Chancelade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI was designed as a tool to type yourself, not others, and providing a way to interact with people who seemingly already know their own types. Misidentifying yourself is always a danger, but mistyping others is more likely - you try to type based on impressions, but you can't really know what cognitive processes others use. You may mistype a stressful person frequently using his/her shadow functions instead of the real ones, and you might also encounter the problem of learned skills. If an INFP has a strong grip over his/her Si, yet prefers not to show his primary or secondary functions for whatever reason (social pressure, traumas etc.), you are likely to mistype him/her.

Some of you frequently type celebrities and people you've actually never met (!) at TypoC. Why? I don't see this as a moral issue, and I do realize that typing others might have some uses for both parties: they can be more tolerant, compassionate etc. towards each other, but what if you mistype someone, and start a conversation with false assumptions? What if you talk to an INFP as if he/she were an ISTP? This might really screw up the connection, and it might reinforce the unhealthy behavior of a stressful person.

I have a personal policy not to type anyone except for myself. Do you see the possible costs and benefits (for the lack of better words -> yuck, I hate these expressions) of typing someone? Is it still worth it? Why? Are there any other benefits of typing people?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some of you frequently type celebrities and people you've actually never met (!) at TypoC. Why? I don't see this as a moral issue, and I do realize that typing others might have some uses for both parties: they can be more tolerant, compassionate etc. towards each other, but what if you mistype someone, and start a conversation with false assumptions? What if you talk to an INFP as if he/she were an ISTP? This might really screw up the connection, and it might reinforce the unhealthy behavior of a stressful person.

Because I talk to people as if they're people, and not labels.

Typology theories are fun to play with, and they're fun lenses to look at yourself and others with. It's fun to discuss, but I don't let it leak into how I communicate with others or my relationships with people.

Standuble

It really comes down to a) whether the person who is re-typing is advising or dictating that they are the wrong type (and in regards to dictating how far they will press the issue) and b) whether the person would use it as an incentive to investigate further or convince themselves that the other person is correct without further investigation. I myself had someone suggest I was mistyped early on in my MBTI studies a few years back and it initially cast what I understood into doubt. However because of it I allowed myself to doubt my conclusions and study the topics further until I knew enough to determine that I had been correctly typed and that I could provide reasoning if such an incident happened again.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, to begin with, I question the idea of "mistyping" oneself. One can find a better type, perhaps, but type is nothing but theory and does not correspond perfectly to the real world. It is not like we have a gene that discretely identifies whether we are ISTP or ESFJ.

Given that understanding, I think it can be applied to others as well. There are no perfect fits, just approximations and paradigms. What is the value in attempting to type my father? Well, the reason I stumbled across MBTI to begin with was that I was trying to understand why my father and I struggled to communicate so much. I identified him as INTJ at first, then realized INTP was better. I identified myself as INFP then ENFP. The more I read, the more I discovered potential reasons we miscommunicated. I tried using tactics from INTP advice to get along better with my dad. They were, overall, very helpful. Our relationship and communication has much improved thanks to the MBTI... regardless of the relative accuracy of the types.

Chancelade said:
what if you mistype someone, and start a conversation with false assumptions? What if you talk to an INFP as if he/she were an ISTP? This might really screw up the connection, and it might reinforce the unhealthy behavior of a stressful person.

Yep. And that's a danger that's true with all sorts of assumptions.

Just like any other assumption, I think it's worth thought but always with the understanding that you may be lacking crucial information and that your perspective is just one of many.

It's so important to keep the endgoal in mind, too. Why do we use any tool? What am I trying to achieve? Most of us seek better understanding of ourselves and others, and type can help with that, but it can only take us so far. It's important to always bear that in mind.

Some of you frequently type celebrities and people you've actually never met (!) at TypoC. Why?

More importantly, we assign them types, we debate those types, we dig into the theory, we talk about aspects of personality and life that are interesting to us. For those of us who enjoy it, we are left with a sense of engagement and fulfillment. Type is ultimately just another unit of language, a symbolic shortcut to indicate something. In that way it is no different than the English words I put on this page to transmit my ideas to you. Even if I haven't chosen the best words, or I create misunderstanding, I am at least trying to bridge the gap between spaces to make our lives richer.

badger055

Permabanned
I have no morals so yea I type everyone just so I know what I'm dealing with. I want to know what our chemistry is like so I know if I'm wasting my time. I can't mistype my analytical skills are too good. They will show their true colours eventually.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't mistype my analytical skills are too good.

badass.jpeg

Chancelade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, to begin with, I question the idea of "mistyping" oneself. One can find a better type, perhaps, but type is nothing but theory and does not correspond perfectly to the real world. It is not like we have a gene that discretely identifies whether we are ISTP or ESFJ.

Fair. Still, the fact that MBTI does not correspond perfectly to the real world does not mean that one cannot mistype oneself because of whatever he/she feels atm. I think people have a tendency to attribute more meaning to their type than necessary: if you think your thought processes correspond more to ISTP than, say, ISTJ, and you're wrong, that could prove to be problematic, especially if you "over-identify" with your ISTPness. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

I also think your type has little to do with genetics, but I think this is another issue, and not relevant in this case.

the reason I stumbled across MBTI to begin with was that I was trying to understand why my father and I struggled to communicate so much. I identified him as INTJ at first, then realized INTP was better. I identified myself as INFP then ENFP. The more I read, the more I discovered potential reasons we miscommunicated. I tried using tactics from INTP advice to get along better with my dad. They were, overall, very helpful. Our relationship and communication has much improved thanks to the MBTI... regardless of the relative accuracy of the types.

This does not necessarily address the potential problems of typing someone. You might've just got lucky that your "tactics for INTPs" worked.

It's so important to keep the endgoal in mind. Why do we use any tool? What am I trying to achieve? Most of us seek better understanding of ourselves and others, and type can help with that, but it can only take us so far. It's important to always bear that in mind.

I see. My question is whether it's worth it at all, and whether the possible problems can outweigh the potential benefits. My answer to the second question in the topic's title is "yes", but I'm interested in your opinions.

Chancelade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]: I hope you didn't assume that I address people as labels: using typology does not mean that I can't see individuals as individuals. Recognizing certain patterns in a self-typed INTJ, ESFP etc. can help me discover them, including what is unique in them. It can also reinforce my immediate hunches about them, regardless of type. I just don't type others myself because it might lead me astray.

If you're simply doing this because it's fun, and you don't take typology into consideration when talking to someone or doing stuff with them, that seems to be understandable for me. But then it's nothing more than an amusing card game or board game, right?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]: I hope you didn't assume that I address people as labels: using typology does not mean that I can't see individuals as individuals. Recognizing certain patterns in a self-typed INTJ, ESFP etc. can help me discover them, including what is unique in them. It can also reinforce my immediate hunches about them, regardless of type. I just don't type others myself because it might lead me astray.

I wasn't. :) I was just saying that that's why I don't really see a problem with typing others in my case. I think what you said in the last sentence is really admirable actually. You're so self-aware that you know your limits and what's best to do and not do - that's one of the best ways to use typology theories as well imo.

If you're simply doing this because it's fun, and you don't take typology into consideration when talking to someone or doing stuff with them, that seems to be understandable for me. But then it's nothing more than an interesting card game or board game, right?

Pretty much. :yes: I mean, there are tons of ways of looking at the world and this is one of them. One view doesn't rule over all the others so I guess your assessment of how I view typology is pretty dead on. Haha, the card game is a very nice way to sum it up for an E7 specifically. :laugh:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fair. Still, the fact that MBTI does not correspond perfectly to the real world does not mean that one cannot mistype oneself because of whatever he/she feels atm. I think people have a tendency to attribute more meaning to their type than necessary: if you think your thought processes correspond more to ISTP than, say, ISTJ, and you're wrong, that could prove to be problematic, especially if you "over-identify" with your ISTPness. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

Yes, I do. You are wanting to talk about the problems of type. I agree with you that this is a pitfall. However, I would say the reality of the pitfall is more in overidetifying with typology, period, rather than overidentifying with a certain type.

The theory itself isn't stable; to some degree it's a moving target. And there is no real proof that our MBTI preferences do not morph significantly enough over time to merit a change in 4-letter type. It has already been demonstrated that people's Big 5 scores do change reliably with age.

This does not necessarily address the potential problems of typing someone. You might've just got lucky that your "tactics for INTPs" worked.

Sure. For what it's worth, I think my typing of INTP of my dad is as accurate as possible and he agrees.

My question is whether it's worth it at all, and whether the possible problems can outweigh the potential benefits. My answer to the second question in the topic's title is "yes", but I'm interested in your opinions.

Interesting; I would assume otherwise based on your personal policy. My answer is yes as well because I see type as a tool, where its worth to me is defined by how much closer it brings me to my goals. Overall, my experience has been that typology has brought me a richer understanding and appreciation of myself and others, and has improved my relationships with the people closest to me. But I have fallen prey to its pitfalls, too. I have had short periods and events in my life where I have struggled to leave the paradigm of type, and as a result I have periodically pulled myself away from the theory. I enjoy it but I have no desire for it to eclipse my thinking, which I believe is its main danger. I think people have to consciously regulate their thinking, kind of a meta-awareness of perspective. Ultimately I see type like money... it's useful because it allows us to shortcut through the realities that take up resources. But the danger is in mistaking understanding type for understanding people, just like it's in assuming that money is directly conducive to what we want.

If someone doesn't have the awareness and self-control to regulate themself, then the exchange isn't worth it. But if they can - and I think we all can - then it is.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bill Clitton likes them with a few extra pounds.

Oh I see. I generally don't pay attention much to her appearance because you know...she's a singer.

/stops derailing thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh I see. I generally don't pay attention much to her appearance because you know...she's a singer.

/stops derailing thread

I think the paparazzi made a big deal about her putting on some extra weight a few years back? I dunno, I don't watch TMZ type shows but it was an internet meme for a little while.