• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you or do you not put your MBTI type on your TypoC profile?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I list my mbti type because out of all the systems it's the only one I've been able to figure out, and I want to be like YEAH! LOOK AT ME I KNOW MY TYPE. Actually it's because I don't know just did.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I tend to believe that a listed MBTI type would actually misrepresent me.

Moreover, if the forum had a mindset of "Oh hey, this person proves that ISTJs can think out of the box" rather than "Pff, you only believe this because of your SiTe fixation" I'd be all for it--as it'd help us all out in actually understanding typology.

Yes, exactly.

I think that giving partial identifiers or no identifier can be in some ways more educational than full labels. It encourages analytical thinking about how and why a person could relate in some ways but not others, or to open our minds that they may be coming from any perspective. It used to drive me nuts - to some extent it still drives me nuts. But that's a good thing. Our minds desperately want to fill in blanks, but life is full of blanks. We can cursorily fill them in to satisfy ourselves... or we can keep digging. Even within types there is huge variety, and the line between types is not as solid as it may sometimes seem. The theory is a shortcut to understanding, but it is also an illusory scaffold.

Which is not to say that there is anything wrong with a fully fleshed-out profile. There are always more blanks to fill, as [MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION]'s signature reminds us! :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For my entire forum career, I've been the only consistently posting ESTJ. And for just as long, I've been told I'm "atypical" because I'm fairly healthy and well-adjusted. To be honest, I joined to prove a point, and I've been proving that point ever since.

So, personal relationships and fun intellectual discussion aside, my presence here wouldn't have much purpose if I didn't list my type.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So many people enjoy INTJ-bashing, that I thought I would provide an obvious and available target, since I really couldn't care less. (See: I can be civic-minded and insensitive at the same time!)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Obnoxious as it sounds, I feel like I've won the typological lottery a lot of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than who I am. Displaying my type feels oddly ostentatious. Like a Harvard grad who feels the need to drop the H-bomb five seconds into meeting them.

At the same time, I feel that there's a lot of pressure to "act out" one's type when it is displayed prominently. Like, I feel less able to be myself and more conscious of a certain stereotype. It seems unbalanced after a certain point.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i put mine because i remember when i first joined and was learning about types that it helped me get a sense of the different vibes of the different types. it was cool to realize that i could "read" the persons type by their phrasing n stuff.

i think it's helpful and i'm nothing if not helpful. :cheese:

I agree. It's helpful to all the rest of the members so they can understand type better. I started a thread on this a few years ago. It has always seemed dumb to me not to include your type.

I think that giving partial identifiers or no identifier can be in some ways more educational than full labels.

I don't see how.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
A member teasingly told me that I posted like the wind and that one never knew when I'd blow into or out of a discussion, so I decided it would be fun to use them as my type letters, BUT, I do list my latest function test results in my signature for the benefit of other posters.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To see if I can still be myself without conforming to expected behavior

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For my entire forum career, I've been the only consistently posting ESTJ. And for just as long, I've been told I'm "atypical" because I'm fairly healthy and well-adjusted. To be honest, I joined to prove a point, and I've been proving that point ever since.

So, personal relationships and fun intellectual discussion aside, my presence here wouldn't have much purpose if I didn't list my type.

This too. I feel the need to prove that not all SJs float through life blindly following social norms and obnoxiously trying to force everyone else to do the same. Since apparently that is a commonly held belief around here. :shrug:

93JC

What you might call helping "better understand where people are coming from" I call jumping to conclusions and stereotyping.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't see how.
It's a special decoder ring identifier used to read a label, uhh, but only works if looking through a skylight when trying to find the four letter code.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Obnoxious as it sounds, I feel like I've won the typological lottery a lot of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than who I am. Displaying my type feels oddly ostentatious. Like a Harvard grad who feels the need to drop the H-bomb five seconds into meeting them.

At the same time, I feel that there's a lot of pressure to "act out" one's type when it is displayed prominently. Like, I feel less able to be myself and more conscious of a certain stereotype. It seems unbalanced after a certain point.

Did this just happen :shock:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i put mine because i remember when i first joined and was learning about types that it helped me get a sense of the different vibes of the different types. it was cool to realize that i could "read" the persons type by their phrasing n stuff.

i think it's helpful and i'm nothing if not helpful. :cheese:

this

At times I've left it blank or put something silly because I wasn't sure what it was or thought that my opinion of what it was bothered some people.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did this just happen :shock:

Yea. Seriously. Like if that pilot 'Sully' were to say he were a hero when asked (for landing the plane in the Hudson river saving everbody's life) then he wouldn't be considered one!?

The guy landed a jumbo fucking jet in a river, and it was full of people, who he saved all of their lives!! Yes, fuck yes, he can say he is a hero. Just have honesty is all.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

Great explanation for it

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't see how.

Because of the pitfalls of starting to attribute too much to type, and allowing a person's type precedence over their communication. Take away listed type, or parts thereof, and you've lost a shortcut around their point of view. The reader is more likely to slog through analyzing the information and how it relates to the poster's personality instead of attributing to the label and calling it a day.

Given that this is a type forum, I enjoy seeing people's listed types, and like to think it lets me understand them better. But I think it's valuable, too, to have deviations from the theory.

My main point being that I like allowing variation. To me it is more valuable to see "ixTj, ENFP, iSFP, ntj" than to see "ISTJ, ENFP, ISFP, ENTJ". The first grouping tells me more and makes me think more. The second grouping is more helpful to a newcomer, but there are plenty of resources for newcomers.

W

WALMART

This too. I feel the need to prove that not all SJs float through life blindly following social norms and obnoxiously trying to force everyone else to do the same. Since apparently that is a commonly held belief around here. :shrug:

But that is the sense type's forte - to float. It is what is principally wrong with humanity - everyone's lookin' for ground.

To the sky, I say!

I stopped displaying my type when I stopped personally relating to one piece of type theory and began identifying with the whole.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My old supervisor had a friend like this. He would sometimes time him to see how quickly he revealed this to a new acquaintance.

For me, it's like putting my name on my office door. If I take it down, I don't stop being me, I just get more questions.

Last edited: