• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you or do you not put your MBTI type on your TypoC profile?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Obnoxious as it sounds, I feel like I've won the typological lottery a lot of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than who I am. Displaying my type feels oddly ostentatious. Like a Harvard grad who feels the need to drop the H-bomb five seconds into meeting them.

This is funny to me. I looked at Harvard when applying to colleges and remember one of the downsides mentioned was that while it is a beautiful and prestigious college replete with competence, opportunity, and resources, it also often hosts a highly competitive atmosphere with many success-driven students, and because of the graduate focus, undergrads can miss out on warm personalized faculty attention unless they really, really push for it. Granted, I did not go Harvard - I didn't even end up visiting it - and do not know the truth of its situation, but that informational bit strikes me a lot like how I feel like being an ENTJ would be. Different priorities are more important to me and I have a different sort of perspective so hearing that you feel like you're "winning" is sort of amusingly out in left field for me. I'm genuinely glad that you like being your type, though.

At the same time, I feel that there's a lot of pressure to "act out" one's type when it is displayed prominently. Like, I feel less able to be myself and more conscious of a certain stereotype. It seems unbalanced after a certain point.

I feel almost the opposite, like when I have my full type displayed I feel like I have to make it clear how I deviate so I'm not assumed to be the "standard model" when that assumption might undermine the point I'm trying to convey. In my case e6 really messes with J/P on the MBTI.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Different priorities are more important to me and I have a different sort of perspective so hearing that you feel like you're "winning" is sort of amusingly out in left field for me. I'm genuinely glad that you like being your type, though.
I feel the same way, about "winning the type lottery", but then I would hope everyone does. To me, it's about being comfortable and happy with who you are, not thinking you or your type is better than anyone else.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did what...?
Sorry. I fell asleep.

But yeah I mean that your reason is because it would be like bragging?? that's hilarious to me that you actually feel that way.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel the same way, about "winning the type lottery", but then I would hope everyone does. To me, it's about being comfortable and happy with who you are, not thinking you or your type is better than anyone else.

This. Exactly this. Though it is funny to me to see how readily self-confidence can be misconstrued as something negative.

Jaguar

I tend to believe that a listed MBTI type would actually misrepresent me.

Ditto.

That some believe one method of categorizing people should work well for all, tells me more about how they think than any MBTI type they could put in their profile.

A definition of typology: A system used for putting things into groups according to how they are similar.
The MBTI is one way to categorize people; it's not the only way.

I started two threads on Harrison-Bramson Thinking Styles, years ago. Their method of categorization worked well for me.
If you're interested, read the book: The Art of Thinking by Allen F. Harrison and Robert M. Branson.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
For me, it's like putting my name on my office door. If I take it down, I don't stop being me, I just get more questions.
This is true for everybody, especially if you are of the opinion type theory carries any weight. You are who you are after all. And if you don't think type theory carries any weight, why in god's name would you register at a forum about typology (except maybe for a brief rant about how you think it is invalid)?

It seems only rational to display a type indicator here. So I would expect all the NT rationals to do so. True to type, I would expect some other types not to.

In order to nip contrary examples in the bud, I know there are some exceptions to the NT rule. I've never quite been able to figure those NT's out (assuming they have accurately self typed). I figure it's either special snowflake syndrome ("don't box me in") or just plain contrariness ("you can't force me to conform to your rules"). INTP's are especially prone to these attitudes (again, true to type I might add).

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i post mine to help myself and others understand types. nothing about displaying it makes me feel bound to any pattern of behavior or afraid of being judged. if someone's gonna judge me for my type, that's their problem. this is a typology forum, after all.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Moreover, if the forum had a mindset of "Oh hey, this person proves that ISTJs can think out of the box" rather than "Pff, you only believe this because of your SiTe fixation" I'd be all for it--as it'd help us all out in actually understanding typology.
Or (arguably) worse and far more common, "you don't fit my (narrow) view of what type X is...you are clearly delusional and mistyping yourself!!!"

For my entire forum career, I've been the only consistently posting ESTJ. And for just as long, I've been told I'm "atypical" because I'm fairly healthy and well-adjusted. To be honest, I joined to prove a point, and I've been proving that point ever since.

So, personal relationships and fun intellectual discussion aside, my presence here wouldn't have much purpose if I didn't list my type.

+1, to a lesser degree (I know there are a few more ISTPs around now, although not many/any? others still around who've been consistently here since the start).

Also I joined to talk about typology, and although I don't think as highly of the system anymore, I do think it has some utility for people who are looking to understand various types, so I guess I leave my label on for that purpose. I like it when other people list their types. It helps broaden my impression of each type, which I think is a good thing.

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont really want other to judge me by some silly letters and numbers without knowing me.

Also, I am not really 100% sure of my MBTI or enneagram, for different reasons.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep it there to see how they react and how they apply prejudice automatically towards me. It's funny to see how they automatically, either attack, or be drawn towards me, or run for their life. I'm relaxed about it, either way. Oh an mostly because I'm all about openness and relaxedness. Sharing of information is 2nd nature for me. (obviously within bounds) It reveals their hidden intent towards me, if I keep it there. People are funny creatures and it stimulates discussion about stereo types. I think it is a great benefit for everyone. I think it is necessary, like for a beginner, the end user should have the choice if they can see it or not, not me keeping it from them. New option for forum :laugh:

G

garbage

And for just as long, I've been told I'm "atypical" because I'm fairly healthy and well-adjusted. To be honest, I joined to prove a point, and I've been proving that point ever since.
It's great when a member of a particular type comes across as a c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker. An ESTJ who has an open mind? Unpossible!

One can drill good, solid lessons into others' heads by simply existing. Keep fighting the good fight.
A definition of typology: A system used for putting things into groups according to how they are similar.
The MBTI is one way to categorize people; it's not the only way.
On that note, I'm an advocate for allowing more typology labels on the lefthand side under out avatars. There are many, many systems out there that we gloss over. We could stand to expand our general knowledge of typology by having other systems stare us directly in the face.
Or (arguably) worse and far more common, "you don't fit my (narrow) view of what type X is...you are clearly delusional and mistyping yourself!!!"
"Pff, you're in an unhealthy Ni-Fi loop. I'ma dismiss everything you say."

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On that note, I'm an advocate for allowing more typology labels on the lefthand side under out avatars. There are many, many systems out there that we gloss over. We could stand to expand our general knowledge of typology by having other systems stare us directly in the face.

Me too. Then I'd have more room for other things in my signature! :happy2:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I list it when I feel like it, which isn't all the time.

It's much, much less representative of me than my Enneagram type, which I do list. In fact, in looking back at my old "type me" threads, overall member consensus about my MBTI type has changed several times. I tend to believe that a listed MBTI type would actually misrepresent me.

This

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most people here know my type by now. I enjoy occasionally tinkering with it, though I'll list it most of the time.

I keep the enneagram as that one is newer, less discussed and perhaps less obvious about me.

G

garbage

I also believe pretty strongly that we conflate many different systema. Despite their common rooting in Jung's types, the details differ with each perception, and these perceptions are different enough to warrant splitting into their own models. Some overlap more than others.

Jung describes four functions; then drills down to types by describing introverts and extraverts, then introverted/extraverted rationals and irrationals, then eight type descriptions. That is, he views Intuition as a function, Extraverted Intuition as a way the function is used by an Extravert with Intuition as his dominant function. He describes eight types: essentially, classed by dominant function (Ne, Te, Si,...). He mentions also that, say, the Ne suppresses thinking, feeling, and sensing, the last of the three repressed the most. Done.

MBTI breaks types down further, with the assumption that each of Jung's types can be split into two, with one each having a secondary function that is opposite to the dominant in both rationality and attitude (I/E).

The official MBTI assessment, CPP, measures one's preferences for E over I, T over F, S over N, and a fourth dichotomy similar to but not equivalent to rationality/irrationality. The test is trait-based, but meant to be an indicator of one's true type. Its result is often used in tandem with a professional to help the respondent make sense of his results. Overall, this whole thing places much more emphasis on the (now) 16 types than on the fumctions from which they are derived. Still, this interpretation of types/MBTI turns the system into a pragmatic, trait-based assessment.

Kiersey, of course, divorces function and type much more. He's an aside, here, but he represents one perspective.

(Socionics is also another offshoot of Jung, based squarely on functions, etc.)

What some call the JCF system is sometimes used interchangeably with MBTI, sometimes not. It again emphasizes dominant and auxiliary functions as a way to arrive at type. This is the schema that we tend to use to describe and arrive at MBTI types. We talk of the ISFJ as one who leads with Introverted Sensation, secondarily adopts Extraverted Feeling, and suppresses Extraverted Intuition. Each type gets one Pi function, one Pe, one Je, and one Ji in its stacking; and one attitude each of S, N, T, and F. This is a very, very rigid overlay on top of Jung's original type descriptions, but it's the most commonly used type model around these parts.

Knowing this, through which perspective should we fill in that lil' blank? Depending, I could give you about three different answers.

(I typed this on phone. Hopefully not too full of errors.)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also believe pretty strongly that we conflate many different systema. Despite their common rooting in Jung's types, the details differ with each perception, and these perceptions are different enough to warrant splitting into their own models. Some overlap more than others.
This is interesting. I think I agree with you. The systems get conflated!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
nobody can care why an infj would post the same content, when an estp can get all the lulz for the same exact kind

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have nothing to hide as far as my type goes. Stereotypes be damned.

Because I believe it’s my type? At least I hope the hell it is or I’ve been promoting the wrong tribe. :hexer: Haha.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really have a reason. I just put it there.