• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what mental illnesses make people harder to type

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
do you think it's specific ones? or do you think it can be any of them and it really depends on the severity. or do you think when a mental illness kicks in the type changes? I don't have an answer I want to know your thoughts

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
No matter what sort of mental illness is at work, you can always get a good sense of what a person's type if you know what to look for and not accept stereotypical behaviors. As such, I don't think there is actually a great deal of mental illnesses will actually how one justifies themselves, functionally speaking. Outside of maybe having a particularly more obvious inferiority flaring.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No matter what sort of mental illness is at work, you can always get a good sense of what a person's type if you know what to look for and not accept stereotypical behaviors.

so your theory is that someone in psychosis is still typoble? but you need to be a really good typist? never considered that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No matter what sort of mental illness is at work, you can always get a good sense of what a person's type if you know what to look for and not accept stereotypical behaviors.

so your theory is that someone in psychosis is still typoble? but you need to be a really good typist? never considered that.

baccheion

Medication for mental illnesses can make people harder to type. For example, Adderall (is ADHD a mental illness?) can literally change your personality.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
do you think it's specific ones? or do you think it can be any of them and it really depends on the severity. or do you think when a mental illness kicks in the type changes? I don't have an answer I want to know your thoughts

I know I have a hard time typing my dad because of his ADHD. I think deep down he really is a J type, but his ADHD causes him to be unproductive and constantly late.

I also know that when I was really depressed/having a lot of anxiety I secluded myself from the outside world and avoided spending time with friends. To someone who doesn't know me well this could have made me seem like an introvert.

I think a lot of mental illnesses can make people harder to type because they change behavior/thinking patterns.

G

Glycerine

My anxiety issues and depression probably make me seem IXXJ e6 (people equate anxiety and reactivity with 6). I think mental covers the person's true/core self with shit or distorts/exaggerates it.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well... CBT can help those out with negative thoughts.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think that people who are manic can look like an EXXP

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know I have a hard time typing my dad because of his ADHD. I think deep down he really is a J type, but his ADHD causes him to be unproductive and constantly late.

I also know that when I was really depressed/having a lot of anxiety I secluded myself from the outside world and avoided spending time with friends. To someone who doesn't know me well this could have made me seem like an introvert.

I think a lot of mental illnesses can make people harder to type because they change behavior/thinking patterns.

Good points.

I'd also add that Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can make someone look more J, Aspergers makes someone look more I and T, histrionic makes someone look more F. I could go on and on with this.

baccheion

A lot of these disorders, by the way, can change someone's personality, but you can usually tell that something's off. For example, with OCD, you'll notice the great deal of stress/obligation a perceiver with OCD would be under to be doing all these typical judger things, whereas the judger would find relief from the rituals. The disorders change the superficial personality that you see, and makes it harder to tell the type the person really is, but it doesn't make it impossible (if you know what to look for).

Alea_iacta_est

Common personality disorder mistypes:

AsPD: mistype often as ENTP, ENFP, or ESTP due to superficial charm and narcissistic tendencies, extremely hard to type compared to other disorders due to AsPD chameleon tendencies and masking techniques

OCD: insta-mistype as xxxJ because of necessity for order (mistyped cognitive function wise), also proven to correlate much higher with ISTJ

BPD: Simulates IxFx (Extreme emotional imbalance and hypersensitive emotions), also extremely hard to type because emotions can go from full blaring to absolutely nothing in a matter of minutes and chameleon behavior

AvPD: Ixxx (some avoidants are extroverts because they gain energy from social situations, but they also fear being criticized and may appear introverted)

Schizoid PD : can mistype as INxx because of the fantasy worlds both the type and disorder can build in their minds.

Schizotypal PD: can mistype for INxx because of inflexible belief structure and eccentricities

Aspergers Syndrome or ASD: Heavy mistype on INTJ or INTP because of the resemblance that these two types have with the disorder, essentially ASD is plummeting Fe while heavily increasing Se as well, but it could still be any type. (People with ASD can be extroverted it's just rarer and extremely unsatisfying to the afflicted)

Histrionic PD: ExFx, craving for attention is synonymous with feeling and extroversion. (It would be possible to have an introverted histrionic)

Paranoia (all forms) : xNxx (iNtuitives are linked to paranoia for worrying about many possible outcomes when Sensors could easily be paranoid based on their current surroundings and present situations)

Possibly to be continued. (probably on request)

Alea_iacta_est

(Continued on Request)

Dependent PD: ExFx (as characterized for the need of other people (E) and the emotional dependency on others (F)), It would be entirely possible to have a dependent INTJ (but it would be sheerly improbable because of the INTJ need for independence) if the INTJ were socially inhibited and had a comorbid diagnosis with an executive disorder.

Narcissistic PD: ExTx Most Narcissists appear ExTx on the outside but are actually very emotionally sensitive and could easily pass for an xxFx. I would highly doubt that there are many introverted narcissists, but I have met a few before.

Depressive/Melancholic PD: IxFx, All depressives give the illusion of introversion and a very aloof nature to them, and would socially appear to be IxTx, but could easily be any type. There is a slight correlation with feeling (not very broad though, there are a lot of thinkers with this disorder) A depressive can also be an extrovert but can be so depressed that they don't seem like it.

Passive-Aggressive PD (no longer an actual disorder in the DSM-IV, but still a disorder in the ICD ): xxFx, there are plenty of passive-aggressive thinkers, so while P.A. PD is often synonymous with feeling, it is by no means feeling-exclusive.

Sadistic PD (also no longer included in DSM but included in ICD I think): IxTJ, this disorder is often mistyped as IxTJ because of what appears to be an absence of empathy and sympathy and a very cold, calculating nature. In reality, Sadists come in all flavors (all of them utterly terrible and frightening) ranging from the combustible feeler to the quiet and introverted thinker.

Masochistic/Self-Defeating PD: xxFx due to emotional imbalances. Masochists ultimately want to see themselves fail and want to experience pain, while this may sound reminiscent of Feeling, it is still a psychological imbalance and could be present in any type at the same probability.

Psychopathy/Sociopathy (no longer an independent disorder due to its folding into AsPD, which I believe to be entirely idiotic): ISTP (sociopath) and INTJ (psychopath) (yes, an entire type stereotyped for these two disorders, thanks media). The media portrays the sociopath (and the psychopath) to be the quiet person who will undoubtedly snap and kill several people. The main difference between a sociopath and a psychopath is that one is extremely impulsive (sociopath) and one isn't (psychopath), and they can be any type and even have a preference and correlation with Extroversion. Now, flip-sidedly, not all psychopaths and sociopaths are extroverted, and just as there are many flavors of Sadists, there are just as many flavors of Psychopaths and Sociopaths. An actual sociopath or psychopath taking an mbti test would most likely mistype as ExTx, even though there are many introverted and feeling (ironically (this is due to yielding to impulses)) psychopaths and sociopaths. They can be any type, but no matter what they will appear friendly like a feeler and people-oriented like an extrovert.

rav3n

According to Jung:

Psych types said:
Naturally in saying this I only refer to those cases which occur under normal conditions. Under abnormal conditions, i.e. when there is an extreme and, therefore, abnormal attitude in the mother, the children can also be coerced into a relatively similar attitude; but this entails a violation of their individual disposition, which quite possibly would have assumed another type if no abnormal and disturbing external influence had intervened. As a rule, whenever such a falsification of type takes place as a result of external [p. 416] influence, the individual becomes neurotic later, and a cur can successfully be sought only in a development of that attitude which corresponds with the individual's natural way.

MBTI was based on:

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/isabel-briggs-myers.asp

Isabel Myers (1897-1980) and her mother, Katharine Cook Briggs (1875-1968), developers of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument, shared a vision. They wanted to enable individuals to grow through an understanding and appreciation of individual differences in healthy personalities and to enhance harmony and productivity in diverse groups.

From the time she was a young girl, the vision of Katharine Briggs was to understand human development and to discover the keys that would enable each individual to reach his or her full potential. She observed differences in personality among healthy effective people in the world around her and became determined to understand and describe the origin of and the reasons for the differences.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Narcissistic Personality Disorder...

How might someone with NPD mistype?

I ask because I am 95% certain my father has NPD and he typed ESFJ.

Alea_iacta_est

All Narcissists seem extroverted due to their social abilities and self-confidence; the only true way to find out the E/I dichotomy would be to ask him whether he gets energy from social situations or depletes energy in social situations.

For the N/S dichotomy, Narcissistic PD is completely unrelated and will probably show the true results

For the T/F dichotomy, Narcissists like to think that they are highly rational and logical, so there is a favoritism towards T, which could be the Narcissist seeing his ideal self rather than his true self.

For the J/P dichotomy, Narcissistic PD is completely unrelated and will probably show the true results.

Narcissists can be any type, just as any mental disorder.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thing is, it is easy to jump to a conclusion that a person might have a disorder, but one has to consider how severe it must be for it to diagnosed as such.

In my case, I made the mistake of thinking that the person I was seeing, had BPD. Turns out, she was just ESFJ :laugh: Our personalities simply clashed big time. I know now, not to jump to such conclusions any more, because I was informed by someone that knew a patient with BPD and gave me real life examples. I'm only mentioning it, for the sake of considering that it might be a simple personality clash, rather than a official diagnosed disorder.

:cheers:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm curious if psychosis can make someone look n. I had a few and I learned recently that the doctors just pretended I can't tell you why I'm probably going to be silenced for posting this. I know they were real because they felt real, so could that have made me look infp?

Aspie aspiring

I think all types of disorders would make it harder to type... I have Asperger's, and it's impossible for me to figure out mine. Jungian theory is based on one part of ourselves being able to reject the opposite; the problem is that my psyche refuses to reject anything at all. I've considered nearly every type for myself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Since no one answered my most recent question I googled it and came up with nothing.