• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MMORPG's (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) and MBTI types

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
One of my friends and I were talking about how, normally, the point of role playing is to play a specific character. However, in MMORPG's, we have noticed that many people will tend to choose a character that represents their personality. Maybe it proves for a more satisfying gaming experience?

Anyhow, here are possible correlations between World of Warcraft characters and MBTI types:

1. Paladin: ENTJ
2. Rogue: ISTP
3. Priest: ENFJ, ESFJ, INFJ, ISFJ
4. Hunter: ENTP, ENFP
5. Warlock: INTJ
6. Druid: ISFP, INFP
7. Warrior: ESTP, ISTP, ESTJ, ISTJ
8. Mage: INTP

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, although I have a character of every class, my main since release was a hunter. My GF (INTJ) consistently played druid, priest and shaman (does not like paladins)... although she also has a character of every class.

I mostly enjoy playing rogue, hunter and mage. She enjoys every support class, even turning stuff like rogues and warriors into support classes. It amuses me how many times she has attempted to bandage me... as a warrior... while I'm being attacked. "But I just wanted to help". "Taunt my dear... TAUNT".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
World of Warcraft (ranked in order of interest?)
1. Warrior
2. Hunter
3. Paladin
4. Druid
5. Rogues
6. Priests
7. Shamans
8. Warlocks
9. Mages

In terms of play, I think the things that are most important to me class-wise are:
1. Autonomous (i.e., solo well?)
2. Versatile (wide-range of skills that can cover most situations?)

When I played City of Heroes, my favorites:
1. Fire/Kinetics Controller (control, buff/debuff, & pets)
2. Empath/Psionic Defender (buffs & heals -- the multitasking/real-time prioritizing was lots of fun... but soloing ability was awful :( )
3. Ice/Fire Tanker (crowd control, some damage, good protection)

I like being the one to "hold everything together."

When I played the video game Gauntlet, I would always play the elf, though -- I loved being able to dodge everything and shoot from far distances. Speed fit my playing style.

I mostly enjoy playing rogue, hunter and mage. She enjoys every support class, even turning stuff like rogues and warriors into support classes. It amuses me how many times she has attempted to bandage me... as a warrior... while I'm being attacked. "But I just wanted to help". "Taunt my dear... TAUNT".

Oh, that's rich. :)

Anyway, I don't think we can break down the classes by MBTI types -- it partly depends on how the class gets played, or why it was selected.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oh I'm pretty sure there's a link. I think people choose a class that goes the best with their personality. My buddy and I were having a conversation about how similar people tend to be to their class.

People who play Paladin's are honest people with integrity who enjoy doing the Right thing (aka ENTJ's :D )
Warlock's are secretive, evil warmongers without morals who would sell their mother if they could (aka INTJ's :devil: )
Warrior's are straightforward, no nonsense, go for it (aka ESTP's)

Obviously, a team comprising the Paladin and Warrior is just awesome.

My GF (INTJ) consistently played druid, priest and shaman (does not like paladins)...

Hmmmmm... Be careful, people who don't like paladins tend to have low ethics:alttongue:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I beg to differ...I loathe the healing/support/magic classes, because I find it incredibly boring to just stand there and heal/buff people or spam keys to blow things up magically. I like evades-based, melee classes...it's just more fun to fight things directly and be able to move quickly.

My brother, ENFJ, likes magic and healing classes however. (Which means we usually make a nice team.) We're this way with playing console games together as well...he navigates and directs, I work out battle tactics on the fly and make the mental jumps necessary to solve puzzles.

My boyfriend, INTP, likes healing classes as well as evades classes. I think in some ways, he likes playing healing classes because he gets to play god. And in this, the two of us can make a formidable team regardless of which class he's playing...partially because we get into the same mindset and can act independently while mostly maintaining a joint effort. (Though I can be really stupid and space out while we're fighting something. I, for some reason, think his character could survive a nuclear bomb and will be slow at doing any emergency healing at times.)

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oh yes, there's a variety of people of course playing different classes. But there does seem to be patterns when you compare people on Teamspeak/IRL and their WoW character.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always been drawn to druids ... had one in the original Everquest as a primary and have one now in World of Warcraft as a primary. My second favorite character is my rogue. I like the versatility of the druid (can play healer, rogue, or warrior) and the damage ability of the rogue. Since I'm an introvert, I solo a lot ... and the druid/rogue stealth abilities allow me to do things alone that would usually take groups.

I also have a Warlock on Everquest II, which I enjoy playing because ... once again ... it permits me to solo. I already have a small team with the warlock and his pet ... and do not have to socialize as much or deal with messy group dynamics.

When playing the traditional D&D type games, I tend towards the true neutral alignment ... neutral/neutral. I don't have a particular affinity for either good or evil. Once again, I usually choose a druid ... although sometimes a rogue or warrior.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Oh I'm pretty sure there's a link. I think people choose a class that goes the best with their personality. My buddy and I were having a conversation about how similar people tend to be to their class.

I don't think there will be a significant link between type and class. A lot of it has to do with age (there is a clear correlation there, from what I remember)... but the dominant personality trait in MMOs is NT or I, depending on what research you go by.

I chose my class because I like pets. That was it. I didn't know it could solo, or not get a group without begging for hours... If I could repick my main, I'd play a healer, I think... I only raided a little with a druid, but I enjoyed it.

Obviously, a team comprising the Paladin and Warrior is just awesome.

For PvE, the best combinations I know, grinding wise, are;

Druid + Rogue
Paladin + Rogue
Warrior + Duid
Warrior + Shaman

Of the caster groups;

Shaman + Mage
Mage + Mage
Warlock(demonology) + Warlock
Warlock(destruction) + Mage

Hunters solo better than they can play in groups... but hunter-hunter is probably the best mix (using bonus pets, like howl and a dps pet for aggro control... BM going towards DPS pet and marksman for TSA)

The only reason I know this is because my GF and I are grinding up one of each class... so we've mixed it up a bit. The only thing that we haven't really gotten to try is my hunter and her druid (66/60), along with my mage and her hunter (30/44... don't have anything else in that range right now, so I gotta close the gap).

So I haven't tried hunter-mage yet... but I know it doens't work well, simply because mages are burst damage, which breaks the pet aggro advantage. Might as well play two mages... our two mages can spike damage into 3-6s kills (ie: 2-3 fireballs, blast to finish, if needed).

Hmmmmm... Be careful, people who don't like paladins tend to have low ethics:alttongue:

She's an INTJ. Not so different than you ENTJs... FWIW, the two main warlocks I know are SPs, simply because they are/were the ultimate PVPers come expansion (they had 3/4 60s at the expansion period).

The couple of RL friends that played, one hardcore, both look towards healing classes. They are also decidedly *not* Fs, in fact... they are about as T as you get. They chose them because they wanted to raid, and healers are needed.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've always been drawn to druids ... had one in the original Everquest as a primary and have one now in World of Warcraft as a primary. My second favorite character is my rogue. I like the versatility of the druid (can play healer, rogue, or warrior) and the damage ability of the rogue. Since I'm an introvert, I solo a lot ... and the druid/rogue stealth abilities allow me to do things alone that would usually take groups.

I also have a Warlock on Everquest II, which I enjoy playing because ... once again ... it permits me to solo. I already have a small team with the warlock and his pet ... and do not have to socialize as much or deal with messy group dynamics.

When playing the traditional D&D type games, I tend towards the true neutral alignment ... neutral/neutral. I don't have a particular affinity for either good or evil. Once again, I usually choose a druid ... although sometimes a rogue or warrior.

Well it's funny, in D&D type games I've often noticed INTP's being either true neutral or chaotic neutral... and going for Druid/Rogue/Mage. I have yet to see one play Lawful Good, let alone a Paladin.

I have systematically played Paladin's in about 3/4 of role playing games. I just find the experience more satisfying. There's something of ridding the world of evil and being a hero for everyone... :)

I don't think there will be a significant link between type and class. A lot of it has to do with age (there is a clear correlation there, from what I remember)... but the dominant personality trait in MMOs is NT or I, depending on what research you go by.

Well, not really because MMORPG's like WoW attract all sorts of different people so I don't think NT's are as dominant as they were traditionally. Also, WoW is not a "true" RPG as such. It's a video-drug with RPG elements.

She's an INTJ. Not so different than you ENTJs... FWIW, the two main warlocks I know are SPs, simply because they are/were the ultimate PVPers come expansion (they had 3/4 60s at the expansion period).

Are you kidding me?!? :D In practice, the difference between ENTJ's and INTJ's are like the differences between Light & Dark, Salt & Pepper, Fire & Ice, Metallica and Blink 182, Engineering and Physics, ... Oh yes, I can see some SP's being Warlocks, good point. But I know quite a couple INTJ's as Warlocks.

The couple of RL friends that played, one hardcore, both look towards healing classes. They are also decidedly *not* Fs, in fact... they are about as T as you get. They chose them because they wanted to raid, and healers are needed.

Hmmm they were nice T's then :alttongue:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Are you kidding me?!? :D In practice, the difference between ENTJ's and INTJ's are like the differences between Light & Dark, Salt & Pepper, Fire & Ice, Metallica and Blink 182, Engineering and Physics, ... Oh yes, I can see some SP's being Warlocks, good point. But I know quite a couple INTJ's as Warlocks.

Well, I'll give you that INTJs are a bit more... visionary... than most ENTJs. But having an INTJ GF as well as working with and knowing quite a few NTJs outside of that, I don't see a significant difference between them.

But I certainly see no tendency towards being "good" or "noble" at all... both for INTJs or ENTJs. Both seem to be heavily driven towards active support roles in general (not-DPS, so tanks healers buffers).

Hmmm they were nice T's then :alttongue:

Hah hah, no... they just wanted to raid and took the most direct path towards their goal. Those like that level up a farming alt. Or in the case my friend, uses my hunter to farm.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Well it's funny, in D&D type games I've often noticed INTP's being either true neutral or chaotic neutral... and going for Druid/Rogue/Mage. I have yet to see one play Lawful Good, let alone a Paladin.

I do have a lower level Paladin toon on WoW, as well as a Priest ... but I don't play them very often. It is true that I'm more drawn to the druid and rogue.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I'll give you that INTJs are a bit more... visionary... than most ENTJs. But having an INTJ GF as well as working with and knowing quite a few NTJs outside of that, I don't see a significant difference between them.

Well, then all is lost for you my friend... If you cannot see such big differences, I don't know what to tell you.

But I certainly see no tendency towards being "good" or "noble" at all... both for INTJs or ENTJs. Both seem to be heavily driven towards active support roles in general (not-DPS, so tanks healers buffers).

Are you really sure you know ENTJ's? In WoW they are over-represented as guild masters and paladins. Ask a couple of them to take an MBTI test, you'll see.

Keep looking then!

Hah hah, no... they just wanted to raid and took the most direct path towards their goal. Those like that level up a farming alt. Or in the case my friend, uses my hunter to farm.

You just enjoy contradicting ENTJ's, young padawan. Aaaah... I can sense the force in this one :yes:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Are you really sure you know ENTJ's? In WoW they are over-represented as guild masters and paladins. Ask a couple of them to take an MBTI test, you'll see.

The guild masters bit I agree with. The paladin bit... I don't agree at all. I only know of two that play wow which have actually been tested and while they aren't hard core, they don't even have paladins as alts.

The other ENTJs I know are from work, not wow. Uhmm... Good isn't the word I associate with ENTJs, in game or out.

You just enjoy contradicting ENTJ's, young padawan. Aaaah... I can sense the force in this one :yes:

*shrug* My experiences don't mesh with yours, that's all. Strong enough differences that I would of said the opposite of what you have...

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
The guild masters bit I agree with. The paladin bit... I don't agree at all. I only know of two that play wow which have actually been tested and while they aren't hard core, they don't even have paladins as alts.

The other ENTJs I know are from work, not wow. Uhmm... Good isn't the word I associate with ENTJs, in game or out.

Not 'good' for you, perhaps, but ethical and trying to do the "Right" thing for sure. At least the ones I've known have tended to be like that, and also in the Enneagram were either type 1's or type 8's, two types heavily bent on justice, being hero's, protecting others, etc.

*shrug* My experiences don't mesh with yours, that's all. Strong enough differences that I would of said the opposite of what you have...

Amazing to me. All the ENTJ's I've known tended to be "Good" especially. Your experiences also seem counter to what type theory would predict. Maybe we just have different definitions of what "Good" is and a person that may take strong stances towards things and try to shape his/her environment according to principles might not be seen as good for you, but it is for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Oh, it's okay, you know -- since MBTI is just a large sham anyway and is merely pseudo-psychology cloaked in a veneer of respectability, people are free to make up whatever they want that fits their personal proclivities, regardless of contradicting experiences that are brought up on the thread. :whistling:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not 'good' for you, perhaps, but ethical and trying to do the "Right" thing for sure. At least the ones I've known have tended to be like that, and also in the Enneagram were either type 1's or type 8's, two types heavily bent on justice, being hero's, protecting others, etc.

I meant; Not good, not right, not ethical... I haven't met a group that was more ammoral, except INTJs. The only difference seems to be that ENTJs cover themselves with a whole lot of rationalizations while INTJs are just soul suckers and accept it.

Amazing to me. All the ENTJ's I've known tended to be "Good" especially. Your experiences also seem counter to what type theory would predict. Maybe we just have different definitions of what "Good" is and a person that may take strong stances towards things and try to shape his/her environment according to principles might not be seen as good for you, but it is for me.

No, type theory certainly makes no comments towards "good", except that ENTJs are power mongers, shaping their world around them. You get both spectrums of that - cult leaders, CEOs, organised crime... Heh, you get Barthilas types more than Tirion types, I'd say.

Pursuing your own nature - pursuing power, influence and marshalling others to do it goesn't fit into any definition of good that I know of. They serve others just as far as it serves their vision.

Now that I think about it, Paladins are a good match for ENTJs...

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oh, it's okay, you know -- since MBTI is just a large sham anyway and is merely pseudo-psychology cloaked in a veneer of respectability, people are free to make up whatever they want that fits their personal proclivities, regardless of contradicting experiences that are brought up on the thread. :whistling:

:smile:

I meant; Not good, not right, not ethical... I haven't met a group that was more ammoral, except INTJs. The only difference seems to be that ENTJs cover themselves with a whole lot of rationalizations while INTJs are just soul suckers and accept it.

That seems rather unlikely. ENTP's and INTP's would be way more amoral. Conscientiousness correlates with morality. Also, theoretically, it doesn't make any sense. The legal system is basically a Te machine. ENTJ's may be bent on bringing order wherever they go: this means ethics and goodness. The problem with people's conceptions of ENTJ's is the "if it's good it ain't an ENTJ" syndrome. There are plenty of nice ENTJ's. Just open your eyes for them!

No, type theory certainly makes no comments towards "good", except that ENTJs are power mongers, shaping their world around them. You get both spectrums of that - cult leaders, CEOs, organised crime... Heh, you get Barthilas types more than Tirion types, I'd say.

Well yes it does. Going back to Jung's definition of Extraverted Thinking, you'll see. BTW, Te is the function behind laws and the legal system. It also comes to play in some ethics.

Pursuing your own nature - pursuing power, influence and marshalling others to do it goesn't fit into any definition of good that I know of. They serve others just as far as it serves their vision.

There is nothing inherently bad about power. The problem is the misuse of power. Without power, you can't do anything. If you want to improve the world, how will you do it without *some* power. This is the way things get done. ENTJ's seek power when they realize corrupted people have it and they should take it back to do things the "Right" way and fair way for everyone.

Of course, the old ways seem to be good for those who like chaos and dislike laws... Hence the false perception that ENTJ's are trying to do something bad. People perceive laws being imposed on them as "bad" so they see ENTJ's de facto as bad for doing so.

My, My... what an earth did one of them do to you!?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
That seems rather unlikely. ENTP's and INTP's would be way more amoral. Conscientiousness correlates with morality. Also, theoretically, it doesn't make any sense. The legal system is basically a Te machine. ENTJ's may be bent on bringing order wherever they go: this means ethics and goodness. The problem with people's conceptions of ENTJ's is the "if it's good it ain't an ENTJ" syndrome. There are plenty of nice ENTJ's. Just open your eyes for them!

Heh, sounds like Wikipedia...

Anyway, conscientiousness, to the best of my knowledge, does not reflect morality. One of the early complaints with FFM was that it lacked a moral component. I'll give you that C correlates to "contentiousness", as in acting in accordance with your own beliefs... but you'd have to be pretty ego-centric to believe that this is a standard of morality in and of itself. This is aside from the dispute that everyone acts in their own beliefs; the only significant difference between C- and C+ is that C+ will attempt to bring order (ie: force others) to act in accordance with their own "conscientiousness".

I'll assume you are talking about deviancy with Ps... deviancy and control factors are well known, as are OC behavior, argument behavior, passive aggressive behaviors... FFM measures how people behave, and so if you accept that order is the first step towards morality, then J would be the more moral of the two.

Lastly, J and C are weakly correlated... C and any form of moral particulars are moderately correlated. It is a hell of a stretch to go from J to moral standards.

Well yes it does. Going back to Jung's definition of Extraverted Thinking, you'll see. BTW, Te is the function behind laws and the legal system. It also comes to play in some ethics.

Law <> morality, especially in this context. Law here defines social order and control.

There is nothing inherently bad about power. The problem is the misuse of power. Without power, you can't do anything. If you want to improve the world, how will you do it without *some* power. This is the way things get done.

Yes.

ENTJ's seek power when they realize corrupted people have it and they should take it back to do things the "Right" way and fair way for everyone.

No. It ends with the above sentence. ENTJs seek power. Control. Order. There is no magic about ENTJs that make them fair, incorruptible or any range of requirements to have a sense of morality.

Of course, the old ways seem to be good for those who like chaos and dislike laws...

ENTJs are progressives, like most Ns; what is being argued has nothing to do with if they inflict change - they do.

Hence the false perception that ENTJ's are trying to do something bad.

I said amoral, not immoral. They act in and of their own nature, like all people do. That nature is to lead, to control, etc.

People perceive laws being imposed on them as "bad" so they see ENTJ's de facto as bad for doing so.

My, My... who stood up to you to get you all worked up?

My, My... what an earth did one of them do to you!?

Sorry, nothing - quite the opposite. You guys are very handy to have around. It's why I'm dating an INTJ (I can't handle the E, because E- is my dominant trait, dangerously so)... I work with several. I have been friends with one for over a decade and am friends with more than that now.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Anyway, conscientiousness, to the best of my knowledge, does not reflect morality. One of the early complaints with FFM was that it lacked a moral component. I'll give you that C correlates to "contentiousness", as in acting in accordance with your own beliefs... but you'd have to be pretty ego-centric to believe that this is a standard of morality in and of itself. This is aside from the dispute that everyone acts in their own beliefs; the only significant difference between C- and C+ is that C+ will attempt to bring order (ie: force others) to act in accordance with their own "conscientiousness".

I'll assume you are talking about deviancy with Ps... deviancy and control factors are well known, as are OC behavior, argument behavior, passive aggressive behaviors... FFM measures how people behave, and so if you accept that order is the first step towards morality, then J would be the more moral of the two.

Lastly, J and C are weakly correlated... C and any form of moral particulars are moderately correlated. It is a hell of a stretch to go from J to moral standards.

And you can thank me for one of our ealier conversations on intpc for the argument about the J/C correlation :D So my own argument is biting me in the butt. Well, yes, it's true. My point precisely is that it is a tendency.

Hence, if anything, there are reasons to believe that J's will be slightly biased towards being moral compared to P's.

Law <> morality, especially in this context. Law here defines social order and control.

Yes, you do have a point.

As a sidenote, morality may be considered as a set of laws and imperatives about behavior that are structured around Te.

Depending on the underlying philosophy, the part that Te plays may be more or less important. Kant's view on ethics functions on principles and is a very good example of Te ethics. That is, acting morally not because of any feeling for your neighbor, but for a higher standpoint of "justice".

Ultimately, laws depend on a conception of morality.

No. It ends with the above sentence. ENTJs seek power. Control. Order. There is no magic about ENTJs that make them fair, incorruptible or any range of requirements to have a sense of morality.

Well, my point is precisely that Extraverted Thinking is this magic that makes them fair. Of course, unhealthy Dominant Te's may have twisted laws, principles and be in contradiction with themselves. However, healthy Dominant Te's will be by far (and I would like to really insist on this point) the most ethical, fair and just of people.

I said amoral, not immoral. They act in and of their own nature, like all people do. That nature is to lead, to control, etc.

I completely disagree with you. They are certainly not amoral. That is best left for INTPs. They are the ones who tend to be amoral. If anything, ENTJ's will be either moral or immoral. I would contend that this depends on their level of health.

R&H have correlated Type 1 with Extraverted Thinking. Here's what they say about the healthy levels:

Level 1(At Their Best): Become extraordinarily wise and discerning. By accepting what is, they become transcendentally realistic, knowing the best action to take in each moment. Humane, inspiring, and hopeful: the truth will be heard.

Level 2: Conscientious with strong personal convictions: they have an intense sense of right and wrong, personal religious and moral values. Wish to be rational, reasonable, self-disciplined, mature, moderate in all things.

Level 3: Extremely principled, always want to be fair, objective, and ethical: truth and justice primary values. Sense of responsibility, personal integrity, and of having a higher purpose often make them teachers and witnesses to the truth.

My, My... who stood up to you to get you all worked up?

Hey, I didn't realize I was *so* influential with INTP's to the point where they copy my style :D

Sorry, nothing - quite the opposite. You guys are very handy to have around. It's why I'm dating an INTJ (I can't handle the E, because E- is my dominant trait, dangerously so)... I work with several. I have been friends with one for over a decade and am friends with more than that now.

Who on earth wants to be friends with "amoral" people? And how would the ENTJ's you described be "friends"? Friendship is about trust and an important part of that is knowing that your friends have ethics!

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
I absolutely despise WoW. However, I did try every class and managed to stick with a Night Elf Hunter to about lv. 26 or so.

Does this make me a closet ENXP, or a closet ENXP wannabe?