• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

_

rogue350

What's the definition of "bad" again? If someone was compassionate, I don't know if I would label them "bad."

Without an agreed upon entity, there isn't bad or good. If we don't all agree upon a religion and a set of morals then it is all just man made.

The traits you quoted are very, dare I say, are very "alpha" (makes the sign of the cross lest I invoke The TG). Which might explain why some women really dig those "unsuccessful" psychos in prison and marry up etc. Remember Dahlmer's wife?

It also may take advantage of the female desire to nurture and improve their mate or partner. I'm not saying that all women are nurturing but this could very well be a variable in criminal relationships. There are always those people who have good ideas and great minds but can't ever get their thoughts and inventions to be used for day to day life. They might become frustrated and become criminals. One bad influence can make a person completely change their thought process and become dark and "bad". These women that date criminals might see the "good" in even the worst people.

There is also the allure of dating a "bad-boy" but in the case of criminals it's taken to the extreme. Criminals might also be able to manipulate and control their mates. Like The Joker did to Harley Quinn.

Detachment can be positive in dealing with problems rationally or having an independent mindset.
Yes, but without compassion and factoring in the way that people will be affected by decisions and new changes could be a big problem. That is why it is good to have people who are detached and people who are "feelers" and analyze the way things affect others.
I think psychopath is a word that is used too loosely to be meaningful, apart from a clinical context. So I don't think you could really suggest a one-to-one correspondence with any types.

I will play devil's advocate and say that extreme selflessness is just as unhealthy as extreme selfishness. I'm not sure which is more destructive... but the thing is, sometimes when people are really selfless, they expect something out of it. Maybe not money or material goods, but they expect something. You can "give" things, and still have it be mostly about you. The lower levels of Enneagram 2 are like this. Selflessness is praiseworthy when it takes the actual needs of others into account. If not, then I'm not so sure.

I don't think it is actually selfless if you expect something out of what you're doing. That is an issue with people who give without having a heart and compassion. Doing "good" things for recognition is wrong! That is like a company that gives to charities for tax credit. That isn't selfless at all.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Without an agreed upon entity, there isn't bad or good. If we don't all agree upon a religion and a set of morals then it is all just man made.-

Obviously. Good and bad are subjective, based on the framework chosen.

I think here, my question was just revolving around what sort of framework was being used where compassionate was still being labeled as "bad," as it's usually not a term labeled as bad in the frameworks I've run across. It was more a question for clarification.

Of course in a thread referring to "psychopath," well, that's a very defined term, and behavior credited to psychopathy is considered "bad" at least to the degree that it supposedly needs to be "fixed/healed" in order to be labeled mentally sound.

rogue350

Obviously. Good and bad are subjective, based on the framework chosen.

I think here, my question was just revolving around what sort of framework was being used where compassionate was still being labeled as "bad," as it's usually not a term labeled as bad in the frameworks I've run across. It was more a question for clarification.
I've always had a knack for pointing out the obvious! ;) wouldn't you agree that characteristics generally classified "bad" or "good" can be quite the opposite? It's like a person who kills criminals. Is that "bad" or "good"?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always had a knack for pointing out the obvious! ;) wouldn't you agree that characteristics generally classified "bad" or "good" can be quite the opposite? It's like a person who kills criminals. Is that "bad" or "good"?

Yeah, I think that's "gray". :smile:

It all depends on how it's framed. Still, I doubt I would call a Dexter wannabe "compassionate" as a character trait. I suppose you could say he is compassionate toward the people who WOULD have been victimized, while being cold and ruthless towards the killers he is killing. But typically, in practical experience, that kind of "coldness" filters through the entire personality, and compassionate is not a global trait.

Alea_iacta_est

Before I begin, this is a really long post, and if you don't want to read some non-psychologist's theory on AsPD and only want the bare bones of what I'm saying, skip to right after the psychopath characteristics list.

The DSM did a really shitty job of organizing AsPD, mainly because of the fact that they threw out the words sociopath and psychopath because they were too "demeaning", so now all three of those labels (AsPD, sociopath, and psychopath) are considered to be the same disorder, which in a certain light could be somewhat true but not really.

AsPD should be defined as
1. Lack of empathy centered around Remorse/Guilt but can branch out to basic emotions such as love, grief, sadness, doubt, etc.
2. Internally based grandiosity (i.e. "I know I'm superior to everyone else and don't need assurance", as opposed to a Narcissist's externally based grandiosity, which is more like "I'm superior to everyone else because everyone admires me.")
3. Emotional callousness and increased irritability
4. Excessively aggressive behavior when provoked and disregard for the rights of others
5. "Survival of the Fittest" fixation (I am strong and willing to do terrible things to defend myself, even before someone strikes)
6. Some Manipulative behaviors

I think that Sociopathy should be a sub-disorder of AsPD (that includes all of the above-mentioned traits) revolving around
1. Extreme Impulsiveness (this is a defining characteristic of all AsPDs in the DSM IV and not limited to a sub-disorder such as I've done)
2. Complete lack of fear and most anxieties
3. Superficial Charm
4. Failure to learn from own mistakes
5. Excessive Manipulative behaviors

However, Psychopathy is more likely to be comorbid AsPD and Sadistic Personality Disorder, the latter of which is no longer in the DSM because they shoved it in with AsPD along with the sub-disorders that don't necessarily possess sadistic tendencies, they would exhibit all the traits of AsPD, Sociopathy and the Sadistic traits:
1. Excessive Cruelty to others
2. Pleasure derived from harming, torturing (mentally or physically), and manipulating others
3. Explosively violent or Implosively violent
4. A fascination with weaponry, violence, torture, and injury
5. Tyrannically controls people for amusement (a psychopath would do things like forcing his girlfriend to stay in the house and never leave or else she would face physical punishment)

From this, we can conclude that the psychopath (by these definitions) is actually at a disadvantage in society, due to their impulsitivity and lack of learning from previous mistakes from Sociopathic tendencies combined with the Sadistic traits of explosive violence and excessive cruelty to others. The Sociopath is also at a disadvantage in society, but less so than the psychopath because they don't exhibit as many "red-flags". The AsPD is at more disadvantage than the sociopath, but still less than the psychopath, mainly because AsPDs don't all exhibit superficial charm and can't emotionally connect with people due to bio-chemical imbalances in their brain, which sociopaths still have, but due to their impulsive and charming nature can make friends rather easily and feign emotions better. In summary, AsPD and its derivatives all put the afflicted at a disadvantage in society.

So why then are so many C.E.O.s and successful businessmen psychopaths? They aren't, and that's because of something called the Dark Triad (or from new research, the Dark Tetrad which includes sadism). The Dark triad represents the absolute worst characteristics of human nature: Narcissism, Psychopathy, and Machiavellianism. Most successful businessmen and C.E.O.s are Machiavellian.

Machiavellianism appears to be like Psychopathy on the surface but is more calculating and scheming. Machiavellians don't lack empathy, but they suppress it because they deem it to be a weakness. High Machs (people who score above a 60 on the Mach IV) tend to flatter people (unlike AsPD and sub-disorders) and can be superficially charming like a psychopath or sociopath. The main differences between psychopathy and Machiavellians is that Machiavellians don't hurt people for the sake of hurting them (they calculate the optimum route to achieve their goal, if it so happens that you are in the way, they will hurt you, but as minimally as possible), and that psychopaths will go out of their way to mentally or physically harm others. High Machs also don't like to draw attention to themselves, they prefer to pull the strings in the background and manipulate situations to their advantage (which is why they are in the Dark Triad, they are puppeteers and con artists), while a psychopath will crave for others to love them and draw attention to themselves by creating drama or using their superficial charm to mislead others into trusting them, and if they can't have that, they crave for others to fear them.

To summarize, AsPD and its sub-disorders are not advantages, but disadvantages. Machiavellians tend to be more successful than the average person because of their willingness to deceive and manipulate others, but they too, are at a disadvantage. Once a victim or bystander catches wind of a Machiavellian's plan, it will collapse, and this has happened many times with celebrity scandals and political scandals. So while a Machiavellian can achieve success easily, it is often short-lived. No disorder will give you a complete advantage in anything, it will always have its drawbacks, hence the name "disorder".

Nicodemus

So why then are so many C.E.O.s and successful businessmen psychopaths? They aren't, and that's because of something called the Dark Triad (or from new research, the Dark Tetrad which includes sadism). The Dark triad represents the absolute worst characteristics of human nature: Narcissism, Psychopathy, and Machiavellianism. Most successful businessmen and C.E.O.s are Machiavellian.

Machiavellianism appears to be like Psychopathy on the surface but is more calculating and scheming. Machiavellians don't lack empathy, but they suppress it because they deem it to be a weakness. High Machs (people who score above a 60 on the Mach IV) tend to flatter people (unlike AsPD and sub-disorders) and can be superficially charming like a psychopath or sociopath. The main differences between psychopathy and Machiavellians is that Machiavellians don't hurt people for the sake of hurting them (they calculate the optimum route to achieve their goal, if it so happens that you are in the way, they will hurt you, but as minimally as possible), and that psychopaths will go out of their way to mentally or physically harm others. High Machs also don't like to draw attention to themselves, they prefer to pull the strings in the background and manipulate situations to their advantage (which is why they are in the Dark Triad, they are puppeteers and con artists), while a psychopath will crave for others to love them and draw attention to themselves by creating drama or using their superficial charm to mislead others into trusting them, and if they can't have that, they crave for others to fear them.
[MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION], how about Machiavellianism?

Here is a test.

baccheion

[MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION], how about Machiavellianism?

Here is a test.

Oh no, I got a 61. Anyone who is depressed, angry at the world, at arms with the world, or who have lost faith in the world will probably score high on this test.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

This is really accurate for an online test. I scored around the same vicinity, 94.

watch_out_calvin__we_got_a_badass_over_here_by_thewulfman-d54w2h9.png

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recall this silly test that was so effortless to me that it got me wondering whether I was a psychopath.

On another occasion, I read about psychopaths being able to watch gruesome scenes without having their heart beats affected, which is something I'd never be able to pull.

Also, this video demonstrates very well how flawled are the psychopath detecting techniques:

Alea_iacta_est

This video was great, thanks for sharing it. I think part of the problem with the flawed diagnoses of AsPD is that 1. AsPD is heavily comorbid with other disorders, most notably sadistic and substance abuse and 2. People with only AsPD don't feel that they are impaired in life, and they often don't think that anything is wrong with them, meaning that there are fewer people that psychologists, therapists, and psychiatrists can study and appropriately define.

If you think the psychopath checklist and AsPD checklist is bad, Schizoid PD has the absolute worst of it all. Schizoids are much rarer than AsPDs and psychopaths because Schizoids don't care enough to get help, they are the paragon of indifference. Many psychologists actually suggest that Schizoid PD is one of the most common types of mental disorders, but their complete absence and unwillingness to waste the energy to go to a mental health expert has left the DSM with broad definitions for Schizoid PD that can be associated with several other pds.

The DSM and psychologists are truly in a pickle, how do you study and define something that you don't have?

Alea_iacta_est

We should ask the theologians.
lol
I think theology is the point where Pseudo-sciences turn into Philosophy.
They would most likely respond "We don't have to have it, its everywhere if you look hard enough" or they would begin debasing sciences that utilize mathematics to study what they don't have so that they would have somebody to roll in the archaic muck with.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
One pro I guess is that feelings don't interfere with your ambitions to achieve something you deem worthwhile, satisfying. Always productive if you just set your mind to it. I sometimes kinda wish I was a psychopath... Or an ENTJ 3w4. I procrastinate too much if I'm not generally happy and satisfied with my life, and the thing is that I'm always sad because everything sucks.