• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

_

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I really would like to talk about all this, but not if I'm going to have to wade through oblique snide comments about how I moonlight as a serial killer.

That shit is not cool.

G

Ginkgo

I'm saying I'm a normal well adjusted person who has psychopathic traits that benefit me greatly. I still value and have empathy for other people just not in the same measures others do.

One would think this thread was created for people like myself to express what its like, but if you have no interest in learning what its like to be different then I've got nothing for you.

So if your done with your crusade to round up the villagers and light the torches, please leave.

I'm on no crusade.

In fact, in another thread about psychopathy, I defended the stance that even pure psychopaths possess a level of calm that predisposes them to (perhaps) handle interpersonal situations more fluidly. The idea that they're socially inept is a popular misconception.

Re: your comment about a welcoming thread environment - I wasn't sure if you were alluding to the fact that this thread was made by a (potentially dangerous) alleged psychopath, or if you had some diffidence to post because you wanted to defend psychopathy at the risk of being berated.

Ironically, even though I possess little to no psychopathic traits, I don't seem to be as sensitive about this conversation as you do. Perhaps I am projecting?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm on no crusade.

In fact, in another thread about psychopathy, I defended the stance that even pure psychopaths possess a level of calm that predisposes them to (perhaps) handle interpersonal situations more fluidly. The idea that they're socially inept is a popular misconception.

Re: your comment about a welcoming thread environment - I wasn't sure if you were alluding to the fact that this thread was made by a (potentially dangerous) alleged psychopath, or if you had some diffidence to post because you wanted to defend psychopathy at the risk of being berated.

Ironically, even though I possess little to no psychopathic traits, I don't seem to be as sensitive about this conversation as you do. Perhaps I am projecting?

My response was to [MENTION=17495]CapLawyer[/MENTION].

Someone with psychopathic traits is understandably more sensitive to a conversation about psychopathic traits than someone without them.

EDIT - however your comment about how normal folks with those traits being more dangerous is utter bullshit.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I bet [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] is in the same boat I am on this.

G

Ginkgo

My response was to [MENTION=17495]CapLawyer[/MENTION].

Someone with psychopathic traits is understandably more sensitive to a conversation about psychopathic traits than someone without them.

EDIT - however your comment about how normal folks with those traits being more dangerous is utter bullshit.

I believe I used the phrase "psychopathic values". Imagine a neurotypical who valued being cool under pressure to the point that he/she repressed their emotions. That's not "cool" or "collected" like you'd think a psychopath would approach issues - that's just an accident waiting to happen.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I believe I used the phrase "psychopathic values". Imagine a neurotypical who valued being cool under pressure to the point that he/she repressed their emotions. That's not "cool" or "collected" like you'd think a psychopath would approach issues - that's just an accident waiting to happen.

Lots of people repress their emotions.

I think its quite a leap to say doing that makes one an accident waiting to happen.

A lot of times I feel like emotions are an accident waiting to happen.

Have you ever heard of a crime of passion?

R

RDF

Lots of people repress their emotions.

I think its quite a leap to say doing that makes one an accident waiting to happen.

A lot of times I feel like emotions are an accident waiting to happen.

Have you ever heard of a crime of passion?

Roughly speaking, I think there are three dimensions to being a psychopath (having Antisocial Personality Disorder): 1) Cool under fire; 2) Impulsive/thrill-seeking; 3) Having no inhibiting values ("It's okay to cheat on my wife as long as she doesn't find out")

I think it's easy enough to be or even to learn 1 and 2. But the "values" dimension is a little tougher: You have to be that slimy guy who is willing to shit on anyone in your way, and everyone around you knows it.

Maybe it's just me being an Fi-dom, but I think lack of values is what differentiates psychopathy from a mere "cool under fire" attitude: It's that lack of values and that willingness to indulge rip-offs.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Roughly speaking, I think there are three dimensions to being a psychopath: 1) Cool under fire; 2) Impulsive/thrill-seeking; 3) Having no inhibiting values ("It's okay to cheat on my wife as long as she doesn't find out")

I think it's easy enough to be or even to learn 1 and 2. But the "values" dimension is a little tougher: You have to be that slimy guy who is willing to shit on anyone in your way, and everyone around you knows it.

Maybe it's just me being an Fi-dom, but I think lack of values is what differentiates psychopathy from a mere "cool under fire" attitude: It's that lack of values and willingness to indulge rip-offs.

Well I've never cheated on a girl.

I've been cheated on, but never the other way around. I value loyalty.

I am more impulsive than I would prefer though.

R

RDF

Well I've never cheated on a girl.

I've been cheated on, but never the other way around. I value loyalty. [...]

Well, that's the rub. That's why I don't see you as being very psychopathic. When I read your posts, you seem to be pretty values-oriented about a lot of your personal beliefs.

Below is some background on Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD). Again, APD is the DSM designator for "psychopathy" for purposes of diagnosis and treatment:

[The DSM] describes Antisocial Personality Disorder as a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:
--failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
--deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
--impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
--irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
--reckless disregard for safety of self or others; .
--consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
--lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.

Personal beliefs of people with APD:

--I have to look out for myself.
--Force or cunning is the best way to get things done.
--We live in a jungle and the strong person is the one who survives.
--People will get at me if I don't get them first.
--It is not important to keep promises or honor debts.
--Lying and cheating are OK as long as you don't get caught.
--I have been unfairly treated and am entitled to get my fair share by whatever means I can.
--Other people are weak and deserve to be taken.
--If I don't push other people, I will get pushed around.
--I should do whatever I can get away with.
--What others think of me doesn't really matter.
--If I want something, I should do whatever is necessary to get it.
--I can get away with things so I don't need to worry about bad consequences.
--If people can't take care of themselves, that's their problem.

(Both of the above are from http://www.ptypes.com/antisocialpd.html )

Also, see this on diagnosis and treatment of APD:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205083625/www.toad.net/~arcturus/dd/antisoc.htm

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well, that the rub. That's why I don't see you as being very psychopathic. You seem to be pretty value-oriented about a lot of your personal beliefs.

Here is some background on Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD):

Personal beliefs of people with ASPD:

(Both of the above are from http://www.ptypes.com/antisocialpd.html )

Also, see this on diagnosis and treatment of APD:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205083625/www.toad.net/~arcturus/dd/antisoc.htm

Trust me, I have the traits.

I'm not as empathetic as most folks.

If put in a situation where I had to, I don't think I would hesitate to kill someone.

Im pretty Machiavellian from time to time.

I'm not too far down the scale of psychopathy, but I'm definitely on the scale.

R

RDF

Trust me, I have the traits.

I'm not as empathetic as most folks.

If put in a situation where I had to, I don't think I would hesitate to kill someone.

Im pretty Machiavellian from time to time.

I'm not too far down the scale of psychopathy, but I'm definitely on the scale.

I trust an ENTJ to not be very empathetic. But their strong Te usually means that they have some strong ideas about how society should work, kind of like an ersatz Fe. So I don't tend to think of them as having that sort of raw "sliminess" of someone with real APD.

But yeah, I'm sure ENTJs could stick a knife in someone's back on a one-time basis if they truly believed the prize was worth it.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I trust an ENTJ to not be very empathetic. But their strong Te usually means that they have some strong ideas about how society should work, kind of like an ersatz Fe. So I don't tend to think of them as having that sort of raw "sliminess" of someone with real APD.

But yeah, I'm sure ENTJs could stick a knife in someone's back on a one-time basis if they truly believed the prize was worth it.

The only place I would stick a knife is in someones front.

R

RDF

I seriously considered stabbing a kid who had been picking on me with a broken plastic ruler in elementary school.

I'm an ex-Marine. I'm an expert in firearms and pretty good with knives and fists. I would have no problem killing, if necessary. But that doesn't make me a psychopath. To be a true psychopath, you have to have that moral sliminess, IMO.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm an ex-Marine. I'm an expert in firearms and pretty good with knives and fists. I would have no problem killing, if necessary. But that doesn't make me a psychopath. To be a true psychopath, you have to have that moral sliminess, IMO.

I don't think I am one.

I just think I've got some similarities.

I've been shooting since I was a child, and have a background in MMA and am just OK with knives.

R

RDF

I don't think I am one.

I just think I've got some similarities.

I've been shooting since I was a child, and have a background in MMA and am just OK with knives.

Fair enough. These personality disorders are a continuum, meaning we're all on that scale somewhere (IOW, we all have "some similarities"). I took the psychopathy test linked in the article in the OP and came up with "Average," myself. Averagely psychopathic, I guess. :D

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think my ability to dispassionately assess the value of things will aid me greatly in my new career in finance.

G

Ginkgo

Disco, I just don't see you as a psychopath. Yeah, gradients exist, but at a certain point you have to draw the line.

Do you unfeelingly swindle people out of considerable sums of money?
Do you torture small animals just to exert control over them (skinning them alive, stabbing them, battering them etc.)?
Do you deliberately lie at the sharp expense of others?

R

RDF

I think my ability to dispassionately assess the value of things will aid me greatly in my new career in finance.

I'll agree with you there. That feeds into the "coolness under fire" dimension of psychopathy, and ENTJs have that in spades. OTOH, watch out for any manifestation of the "impulsivity" dimension. That particular dimension will definitely get you into hot water in the finance arena. :)