• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

_

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Basically what he means is that there's a place in society for psychopaths - to be expendable wartime cannon fodder. (I'm taking my paraphrasing artistic license to some charming heights, mind you).

Haha, I know what he meant.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Most psychopaths would be the ones *in charge* of that kind of thing, not cannon fodder. : P

Qre:us

We need the hard rough men patrolling our borders so we can sleep safe and sound in our beds at night.

This. Natural selection selects for the gene for antisocial personality, and research has shown that a proportion of every society will be made up of these types. But as a significant minority, or society would crumble from within. They are the ones who wouldn't think twice to put themselves at the front line of a tribal war. No hesitation, no fear, thirsty.

How this is manifested, makes or breaks a "psychopath" (clinical term, antisocial personality disorder). I remember in clinical psychology classes, reading that these people need a greater thrill/stimulation (of the "dangerous" kind) to feel what we would feel with much less extreme stimulation. Those brought up in a positive, functional environment grow up to be involved in work that is still aligned with society's values - like stuntmen, etc.

Those not, become ruthless killers, the parasites of our society.

So, just because someone is predisposed to this does not excuse it. Naturalistic fallacy. Environmental influences has a lot to do with how that will manifest. A big hint is if, as a kid, he is diagnosed with conduct disorder. (Yes, I used he as this is disproportionately skewed by gender)

Here's a classic example, The Iceman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfPY7httAw

Ps- it has nothing to do with MBTI personality type. That's ridiculous, at best, and a gross misunderstanding of MBTI and antisocial personality, at worst.

R

RDF

I can kind of see the point of the article. There are definitely some cold motherfuckers out there, but as long as they recognize boundaries, then that coldness can serve some useful purposes.

First off, some clarifications on terms. "Psychopathy" is a personality disorder, not psychosis or insanity. Second, "psychopathy" is largely a synonym for both "sociopathy" and "antisocial personality disorder." (See the first and second paragraphs of the Wikipedia entry under "Psychopathy.") Some people try to differentiate psychopathy and sociopathy in terms of their origin. But officially "psychopathy" is the main heading, "sociopathy" is just a more benign-sounding synonym, and "antisocial personality disorder" is the DSM designation for psychopathy.

And if you know about personality disorders, then you know that someone with a personality disorder can be perfectly functional. The big question is whether they observe the sorts of boundaries that keep them out of jail, or whether the disorder is so out of control that they end up colliding with the authorities.

From the Smithsonian article:

When psychologists talk about psychopaths, what we’re referring to are people who have a distinct set of personality characteristics, which include things like ruthlessness, fearlessness, mental toughness, charm, persuasiveness and a lack of conscience and empathy. Imagine that you tick the box for all of those characteristics. You also happen to be violent and stupid. It’s not going to be long before you smack a bottle over someone’s head in a bar and get locked up for a long time in prison. But if you tick the box for all of those characteristics, and you happen to be intelligent and not naturally violent, then it’s a different story altogether. Then you’re more likely to make a killing in the market rather than anywhere else.

Your OP:
Psychopath, AKA, ISTP.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Bull-fucking-shit.

There's literature showing correlations between various MBTI dimensions and psychological disorders, so your statement is trivially false. It absolutely has something to do with MBTI personality types.

No.

Correlation does NOT mean causation or validation of meaningful deduction. Apply some critical thinking.

There's a lot of studies/literatures that does not deserve the time nor patience to critically evaluate them.

If you want to waste your time grappling at straws , go ahead. I still get to call it...

Bull-fucking-shit

MBTI explains variance in psychological disorder prevalence, whether directly or by mediators

What kind of a gibberish is this? This is a very, very incorrect statement and mangling of the word "explain".

Give me one (just one) study that states that MBTI types (and its distribution) EXPLAINS the proportional distribution of psychological disorders in society.

Even if I were to entertain this (lacking in common sense) hypothesis, your own original source contradicts your conclusion:
- ruthlessness? Which MBTI (legit) profile describes ISTPs as having a behavioural preference of ruthlessness? And let's not go into P ( perceiving) and procrastination (which, as per your source, psychopaths are not).

And the final veering from common sense : personality traits ( in functional healthy people) cannot EXPLAIN personality (and psychological) disorders. There may be correlation, or linking dimensions of personality traits with psychopathy traits, but one cannot explain the other. It is illogical. Aka, bull-fucking-shit.

If your agenda is to prove how "badass" you are as an ISTP, because you're like (wannabe/romanticize) a psychopath, it's amusing like a kid trying on big boy pants. I'm guessing you're a young male.

Why so upset? Having a hard time with that "critical thinking" yourself? :)

Why so sensitive? Aren't you supposed to be psychopathic aka ISTP?

You haven't known me around the forum enough to know that this is my default tone for shooting down bullshit. It's got nothing to do with being personally upset. You're welcome for the initiation. :)

<3 Bunneh

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Being able to be cool under pressure is one of the best Pros there is.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
What's the definition of "bad" again? If someone was compassionate, I don't know if I would label them "bad."

Misguided compassion can be bad - for example, taking in an infected bum into your house and exposing your children to pathogens.

That's an extreme example, of course. More common examples would be people who value the appearance of compassion over true compassion (evil FJs), and people who are handicapped by tribalistic compassion (i.e. the indoctrinated)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think psychopath is a word that is used too loosely to be meaningful, apart from a clinical context. So I don't think you could really suggest a one-to-one correspondence with any types.

I will play devil's advocate and say that extreme selflessness is just as unhealthy as extreme selfishness. I'm not sure which is more destructive... but the thing is, sometimes when people are really selfless, they expect something out of it. Maybe not money or material goods, but they expect something. You can "give" things, and still have it be mostly about you. The lower levels of Enneagram 2 are like this. Selflessness is praiseworthy when it takes the actual needs of others into account. If not, then I'm not so sure.

If someone was Zen enough not to expect anything, then I would say that selflessness could probably not be too extreme. But how many people are that Zen?

I'm for the middle way between selflessness, and selfishness.

Well, gotta go pop my Ayn Rand books on tape into my Walkman and drift off to sleep, and let the word invade my dreams.

On a side note, why can't I stop shrugging? It's really annoying. Also, I've developed an intense hatred of globes, for some reason.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Psychopaths lives off the vulnerabilities of others. They blend in with others by mimicking them flawlessly. So I have some trouble with how one can sleep at night when the person you are supporting could be a psychopath having necrophilia dreams of your kids. e.g. Ted Bundy.

Permabanned
Psychopaths lives off the vulnerabilities of others. They blend in with others by mimicking them flawlessly. So I have some trouble with how one can sleep at night when the person you are supporting could be a psychopath having necrophilia dreams of your kids. e.g. Ted Bundy.

The not so obvious alternative to that would be, of course, not to do so.

baccheion

I like the distinction between psychopath and sociopath (though they get used interchangeably), because psychopathy results from missing or disabled areas of the brain whereas sociopathy, while you can be born with it, can be "learned" due to excessive life trauma. Psychopathy is the worse condition, even though both can be very dangerous.

Sometimes I get afraid, because I spot psychopaths and sociopaths like clockwork. I get afraid they'll try to kill me or something to hide their secret. They are just that obvious to me. And each time I do, and see how they act, I just scratch my head wondering why anyone could think I am one. Anytime someone doesn't get their way, or they feel slighted by me (over nothing), or they notice me keeping to myself, or not talking, or not smiling, they start trying to bullshit that there's something wrong with me, and they start trying to put some bullshit label like this on me. PSYCHOPATHS ARE NOT LIKE THIS (QUIET, NO SMILE, ETC), IDIOTS! THEY PLAY YOU LIKE A FOOL, AND YOU WON'T EVEN THINK TWICE THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM. FUCK YOU! But some people never learn. They just cling to their unfounded fears and beliefs, especially when they know they are wrong, and continue bullshit as though they are correct.

What a welcoming thread environment.

Really makes me want to contribute.

Weird. Are you saying you're a psychopath, or something close to it, and that you will, if given a welcoming environment, contribute your perspective on what it's like?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Weird. Are you saying you're a psychopath, or something close to it, and that you will, if given a welcoming environment, contribute your perspective on what it's like?

Traveling for thanksgiving.

Responding to this is going to make me angrier than I would prefer to be at thanksgiving, so I will get back to you once I've returned.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

I was responding to.....

Perhaps psychopathic values instilled in neurotypicals are even more dangerous than psychopaths.

I'm saying I'm a normal well adjusted person who has psychopathic traits that benefit me greatly. I still value and have empathy for other people just not in the same measures others do.

One would think this thread was created for people like myself to express what its like, but if you have no interest in learning what its like to be different then I've got nothing for you.

So if your done with your crusade to round up the villagers and light the torches, please leave.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I was responding to.....

I'm saying I'm a normal well adjusted person who has psychopathic traits that benefit me greatly. I still value and have empathy for other people just not in the same measures others do.

One would think this thread was created for people like myself to express what its like, but if you have no interest in learning what its like to be different then I've got nothing for you.

So if your done with your crusade to round up the villagers and light the torches, please leave.

You seem too sensitive to be a psychopath. Oh but you said psychopathic traits, not psychopathy....which...is different?