• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I using Ne?

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], I'm not sure what your story indicates about your cognition, actually, if anything.

I can speak as an NP about my own Ne-usage but that's about it. Give it some observation, and tell me if you can observe something similar going on in your thought processes (though I don't claim to speak for all Ne-users):

Anyway, sorry I haven't been able to analyze your post in depth. I think you're probably the best person to decide which function it most accurately reflects, once you've gotten a firm hand on the ins and outs of all the functions. I hope my examples might help you determine what role, if any, Ne plays for you. You may have to really observe yourself to see what's going on, though.

Good luck!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The incident in the OP describes ISFP thinking in a nutshell.

Se is also about possibilities. But Se possibilities are concrete, and in the OP, they are concretely about possibilities for pleasure (cocaine or heroine use); with Fi coming out in terms of wanting to help the individual. Se and Fi in the Op are torn between two possibilities: wanting to help and wanting to leave well enough alone.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I told my ISFP wife this story, and she wasn't interested in your Ne or whatever; she started going on about what the guy might have been doing in there.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're absolutely right that it's not at all random. As well as about the Si backbone. As for introverts having an easier time of tracing - maybe, maybe not. I find it very easy to trace Ne. Like, EXTREMELY clear. The Si links might not be as immediately evident, but the external N sure is.

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], sounds like full-on 6 to me. I do this sort of "running down a situation" thing all the time. It makes Ne + 6 seem a little more Ni, I think. But it's not Ni for me because it's not well-oriented in probability. Exactly which imagined situation I "run down" has more to do with what's been going on externally that I put together than a sense of what's most likely to happen. And my sense of what's most likely to happen is borne from Si experiential data, not Ni inference.

Now I'm almost sure I'm INFJ…
I am too much of a sensetard to be a sensor, and I care too much about other's happiness to be a thinker.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like you use Ni and it was especially strong that day.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Now I'm almost sure I'm INFJ…
I am too much of a sensetard to be a sensor, and I care too much about other's happiness to be a thinker.

That's interesting! You're feeling more Ni than Ne?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes, especially in cases like what [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] described. I do, however, seek newness and dislike drudgery like Ne, though. I also have a messy room and generally am disorganized. I always related to P more than J…but isn't Ni a perceiving function?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes, especially in cases like what [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] described. I do, however, seek newness and dislike drudgery like Ne, though. I also have a messy room and generally am disorganized. I always related to P more than J…but isn't Ni a perceiving function?