• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does depression make you an intuitive?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
No, I know many S types who have gone through, some who are still going through, depression and it doesn't make them more intuitive. It does, however, seem to heightened certain aspects of their already existing personality. For example, my xSFP sister in law, the more depressed she becomes, the more "impulsive" things she does.

Sunny Ghost

I'd agree that I experienced more of my tertiary Ni during my depressive state. But I also think it was a lot of Fi+Ni looping action.

Sunny Ghost

No, I know many S types who have gone through, some who are still going through, depression and it doesn't make them more intuitive. It does, however, seem to heightened certain aspects of their already existing personality. For example, my xSFP sister in law, the more depressed she becomes, the more "impulsive" things she does.

Hmm... I'm guilty of this, too.

I suppose it depends on the depressive episode.

For me, it's like this:

Negative external source out of my control-->stupid, impulsive behavior/reaction (Se in combination with distraught Fi) -->examination of both negative source and stupid impulsive behavior (Fi in combination with Ni)

But intuition is pulled out by depression alone.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
On some MBTI tests I get INTP, but I know I am INTJ. At those times I think I am more depressed, at least that is what I speculated until now. I wonder if it is really related.

You might be compromised in ways that others wouldn’t be in those instances, and vice versa. Regardless of what played the major role, it didn't seem to affect the end result for you. :)

I

Infinite Bubble

The depression increases a person's tendency to ruminate, but also reflect on things
Reflection is an intrinsically intuitive exercise, where normal labels and definitions of things are dissolved

That sounds more akin to introversion really, I'm not sure if depression would make someone perceive connections between things more than usual. Maybe because many people stop being active and perhaps that leads to sensory information given less weight. But at the same time I can imagine tert/inferior sensors engaging in a lot of unhealthy sensory activities such as overeating or self-harm.