• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do the 8 Cognitive Functions Relate to Everday Life?

kikat

Could someone explain what specific behaviors people display in relation to the 8 cognitive functions? I've read endless descriptions on the 8 functions over the years, and it still confuses me. I guess I'm looking to see how how the 8 functions relate to everyday life. Maybe this will help me on my quest to find my own type. Thanks.

Se
Si
Ne
Ni
Te
Ti
Fe
Fi

Sunny Ghost

Hmm...

Fi is all about personal subjective feelings. Feeling is directed inwardly. So, for me, this tends to equate to over-sensitivity. I'm also more in tune with my feelings since I am an Fi (Introverted feeling) dominant type: ISFP. When I interact with others, I tend to think about how the interaction made me feel. I can also turn it around and feel empathy for others by putting myself in their shoes. I'll tend to be cordial and kind in my interactions because I want to keep my internal peace and I'd want the person I'm interacting with to maintain their personal peace.

Fe is a little different, and less familiar to me. Feeling is directed outwardly. My understanding is that their feelings are associated with norms and how one should act or respond. It's more outgoing and less focused on the self. (You'll have to get someone else to explain it better.)

Se is focused on external sensory data. This usually boils down to the five senses. The world is concrete and based on what one can taste, smell, see, feel, hear. People who use this as their dominant or secondary function tend to be artisans of some sort. Artists, painters, chefs, athletes, musicians, dancers, race car drivers, mechanics, and so forth. The world is manipulated by their hands and their body.

For Si, the world is concrete and based on what works. Si types tend to be more orderly. Where Se tends to enjoy working with their hands to create a fluid rhythm, Si hands works from memory.

kikat

Hmm...

Fi is all about personal subjective feelings. Feeling is directed inwardly. So, for me, this tends to equate to over-sensitivity. When I interact with others, I tend to think about how the interaction made me feel. I can also turn it around and feel empathy for others by putting myself in their shoes. I'll tend to be cordial and kind in my interactions because I want to keep my internal peace and I'd want the person I'm interacting with to maintain their personal peace.

Fe is a little different, and less familiar to me. Feeling is directed outwardly. My understanding is that their feelings are associated with norms and how one should act or respond. It's more outgoing and less focused on the self. (You'll have to get someone else to explain it better.)

Interesting. I can be sensitive and my feelings can get hurt but I'm not always sensitive to others feelings (actually this happens a lot). I am interested to learn more about Fe.

Se is focused on external sensory data. This usually boils down to the five senses. The world is concrete and based on what one can taste, smell, see, feel, hear. People who use this as their dominant or secondary function tend to be artisans of some sort. Artists, painters, chefs, athletes, musicians, dancers, race car drivers, mechanics, and so forth. The world is manipulated by their hands and their body.

For Si, the world is concrete and based on what works. Si types tend to be more orderly. Where Se tends to enjoy working with their hands to create a fluid rhythm, Si hands works from memory.

So, people with Se tend to be visual? Have a sense of aesthetics, right? I heard they're adrenaline junkies and spontaneous. Is this true? I honestly am so confused about Si. I'm assuming people with Si have good memories and like details. Not sure about that.

Thanks for helping me learn more about it. I can't seem to relate to the definitions of the cognitive functions; even when people explain in on the site.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
MBTI isnt a behavioristic model and you cant link behavior and functions like that, because same behavior can come out of different functions. Functions are just ways of perception and processing of information. Sure you can say that a particular way that someone reacted to something was the cause of his functions(along with the personal experiences that the person has had during his life, his genes, complexes etc etc), but if you see that exact same reaction on some random person, you cant say that it was caused by the same functions than the other person.