• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Memorization and Time Managment are Stressful

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Memorizing and tracking the many tasks I have to accomplish every week is a big source of stress in my life.

Which function is responsible for memorization? Is it Si?

Do any of you find this sort of memorization and time managment stressful?

What can I do to relieve this stress?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
As an INXP it doesn't come with this function set either.

Get yourself a system, and use it. It's almost a relief. i use a rock solid system of "to-do"s using the calendaring and project management in lotus notes which we use at work. So every email piece of works gets sent to a new to-do. I then flag it for urgency and just update the narrative as stuff moves.

That way I can print out a list of "everything" when I need to. The time management I have to do to the nearest 6 minutes.. so it's just about sticking to it.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Thank you both.

I'm afraid that a PDA would add another level of complexity to my life. If I had one then I would worry about it breaking, whether or not the batteries are charged, etc. Well you get the idea.

I've tried utilizing to-do lists. The problem is I end up with list upon list. Nested lists if you will. And, invariably I grow disgusted and aggravated with the mess I've created and toss the whole works in the bin.

My apologies, I should have mentioned that I am seeking more of a psychological solution. A holistic approach. I want to attack the root of this problem, which is why I'd like to know which function or lack thereof is the source of my distress.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I forgot to add that part of what is causing this stress is the fact that I can't stop thinking about all that I have to do. The tasks keep cycling through my thoughts, which is very annoying. For whatever reason I am unable to "pause" this part of my brain ...

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I forgot to add that part of what is causing this stress is the fact that I can't stop thinking about all that I have to do. The tasks keep cycling through my thoughts, which is very annoying. For whatever reason I am unable to "pause" this part of my brain ...

Aha! Well you need to tell yourself you can deal with it, I'd say.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Aha! Well you need to tell yourself you can deal with it, I'd say.

I probably do need a (pardon the expression) good kick in the ass to jolt me out of this. That part I am working on. Oddly enough I can be strong willed with sufficient motivation. And I must tell you that my motivation is increasing by the day.

cn1234567890

MBTI Type
ENFP
I use my cell phone! it has a planner thing where i can put in tasks/events and then i tell it when i want it to go off. I have the same problem...especially in school, when I'm interested in something I workworkwork, but if there is no end in sight (within the next 3 days) or i'm not interested i do need a good ass kicking now and then..

I like your picture too, I love beagles :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, very.
Invest in a PDA.

I recommend either a PDA like my fruity friend here suggests, or try an idea introduced by another of my favorite endorsers of fruit. The Flintstones.

Figure either a PDA or a stone and chisel.

Or do like I do. Avoid assignment and shirk what responsibilities you do acquire.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I use my cell phone! it has a planner thing where i can put in tasks/events and then i tell it when i want it to go off. I have the same problem...especially in school, when I'm interested in something I workworkwork, but if there is no end in sight (within the next 3 days) or i'm not interested i do need a good ass kicking now and then..

I like your picture too, I love beagles :)

Good idea but a cell phone presents the same problem as a PDA. More complexity.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I recommend either a PDA like my fruity friend here suggests, or try an idea introduced by another of my favorite endorsers of fruit. The Flintstones.

Figure either a PDA or a stone and chisel.

Or do like I do. Avoid assignment and shirk what responsibilities you do acquire.

There must be some other way. Think, think!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Or do like I do. Avoid assignment and shirk what responsibilities you do acquire

Now there's the spirit!

JustDave: Sorry I can't be of more help to you. When I have a lot to remember to do, or I have something that is causing me a great deal of anxiety, I usually go for a long drive to relieve the stress. Wouldn't recommend it though if gas prices are too high.

bandit

MBTI Type
INFJ
JustDave: I too have a lot of trouble trying to stick to my to-do lists. It's stressful too. I always end up making lists, sometimes as long as an A4 size paper, only to realise that they've become worthless midway through, because I've started to change my priorities, according to how much time I can possibly allocate for all. Then I make a new list and the cycle continues. I still keep some of the obselete ones, just to show myself how my arrangements, circumstances and requirements are never absolutely fixed.

For me, the only way I relieve stress is to complete the most urgent tasks at hand. Nothing else will do better for me. I prioritise the tasks according to how urgent it needs to be done because the stress I get from this is usually the fact that the most urgent matters aren't done yet. Urgent can mean tasks that are nearing deadline/s (or overdue), tasks that precedes other major tasks, etc. What works for me is that I'll start by listing down the most urgent tasks in my mind (I make sure I can 'see' the tasks 'line up in a single file') and arrange them according to the level of urgency, the first being most urgent, while the last being the least urgent of the few I've noted. Once I'm done with that lot, I'll move over to the less urgent ones and so on so forth. I feel it's a lot easier to handle small bits (little chunks) at a time than to tackle an entire truckload of tasks to complete.

A list won't do here either. I've tried. The level of urgency will change with time too. So the list will need to be updated very frequently. I'm not good at memorizing (I've forgotten a lot of my piano pieces that I've re-learnt several times) but I can remember a few or a handful at a time.

I know my brother who is INFP won't do what I do, in this matter and I know perceptions can greatly differ among individuals. I find it is more efficient for me to start by looking at all of the options that I have and gradually zoom in closer to more minute details when I've sorted out the bigger picture first.