• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does my archetypes theory compare with the MBTI?

Kimani

The Charmers are all going to be extraverted types. They are entjs, estjs and estps. The Professionals are enfjs, esfjs, esfps, isfps and isfjs. The Designers are intps istjs, intjs and istps.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Archetypes cant be linked to typology, unless you redefine the word archetype and well then there is no other reason to use the word archetype other than to get some attention.

People who cant answer the question honestly(either try to lie or dont know themselves enough to answer truthfully) or have some biases evoked by current life situation might get false answers from tests(especially from the crap ones you get for free), that doesent mean that the system itself would be effected by environmental factors or that its somehow flawed. The truth is that you cant make a questionnaire that wouldnt be affected by those factors.
The person who ever said the thing at op clearly doesent understand the most basic thing of MBTI, MBTI does not give results for type, it only suggests a type based on how you answer the questions and even all the numbers for each letter only means a possibility of that letter being correct based on how you answered. Finding the best fit type with a professional is where the type is determined(if it can).

I think the word you are looking for is temperament sorter, not archetype whatever.

Kimani

I know that individual archetypes can't be linked to typology. You are right to an extent. I'm not linking archetypes individually to a typology. I'm combining them to create my typology. I'm saying that when they are combined like this they create personality types or are equivalent to personality types.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love archetypes and like the idea of relating them to typology, and it's interesting to link them with disorders. It's also interesting to make mirrored pairs. The overall purpose of the system being illuminating societal roles seems relevant, but yielding only 3 possible results makes it quite simplistic and I am not sure very useful. I also am not sure of the titles. Clearly I would be a "Professional" by your system, but I don't really relate at all in that capacity to that title. I think my mom and boyfriend would be Professionals as well, and my father and brother Designers, which I feel like is probably a slightly more applicable title, and my brother's best friend would be a Charmer, which also seems more applicable. But now what do I do with that information?

Kimani

Well you can use the career counseling section to find a suitable ideal career for yourself. I've also been told it would be good for cognitive behavioral therapy.

I've spoken with a social worker who wanted to use my idea on her emotionally disturbed population as a career counseling tool. I'm currently in talks with another social worker who said she is going to help me get this patented and standardized.

The Professional is called that because they are all about catering and conforming to other peoples needs. They are professional.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well you can use the career counseling section to find a suitable ideal career for yourself. I've also been told it would be good for cognitive behavioral therapy.

I've spoken with a social worker who wanted to use my idea on her emotionally disturbed population as a career counseling tool. I'm currently in talks with another social worker who said she is going to help me get this patented and standardized.

Well, I'm glad if you can find some application for it.

It seems much like the Holland Codes, though, with Social/Helpers and Professionals correlating, Thinkers/Investigators and Designers correlating, and Persuaders/Enterprising and Charmers correlating.

I don't mean to knock your theory. But I think you have something more interesting going with the archetypes in the CBT/DSM diagnosis area than in the career counseling area.

Kimani

More feedback please. I want to see what others on here have to say....

Kimani

http://personalitycafe.com/general-psychology/76723-my-theory-personality-types.html

"There's a lot of stuff out there like this. In some ways the approach might be a better method of categorizing than MBTI type codes but this is so adjectival I think it would be hard to standardize or apply across cultures.

Well I think recognizing the archetypes and their influences on a person is a good start. John Beebe does this by wrapping the functions in archetypes. It also doesn't create the, often misleading judging/perceiving dichotomy that often gets so overinflated when people talk about type."

chaoticbrain

MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find this very interesting, and you said there are many theories like this out there ? I haven't read any of these "archetype" theories before, but yes very interesting, I'd be interested in hearing more specific examples of how these archetypes manifest.

Kimani

No, I didn't say that there are many theories like this. I was just quoting what someone said about my theory. I'm glad you find it interesting though.

chaoticbrain

MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Archetypes cant be linked to typology, unless you redefine the word archetype and well then there is no other reason to use the word archetype other than to get some attention.

People who cant answer the question honestly(either try to lie or dont know themselves enough to answer truthfully) or have some biases evoked by current life situation might get false answers from tests(especially from the crap ones you get for free), that doesent mean that the system itself would be effected by environmental factors or that its somehow flawed. The truth is that you cant make a questionnaire that wouldnt be affected by those factors.
The person who ever said the thing at op clearly doesent understand the most basic thing of MBTI, MBTI does not give results for type, it only suggests a type based on how you answer the questions and even all the numbers for each letter only means a possibility of that letter being correct based on how you answered. Finding the best fit type with a professional is where the type is determined(if it can).

I think the word you are looking for is temperament sorter, not archetype whatever.

Archetypes can and would go together with things like introversion and extroversion, from what I understand, archetypes would be formed based on what is beneficial for the individual, such as appearing scary in order to get something you want, and people would manifest in different archetypes based on their natural strengths and tendencies.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Archetypes can and would go together with things like introversion and extroversion, from what I understand, archetypes would be formed based on what is beneficial for the individual, such as appearing scary in order to get something you want, and people would manifest in different archetypes based on their natural strengths and tendencies.

Ehh, i would suggest you to ditch your current idea about archetypes completely and study the subject a bit more from some more reliable sources. For example people dont manifest in archetypes, but archetypes manifest in people. Archetypes are not formed by the person, but archetypes from the person etc etc, you got it all backwards :/

Archetypes are the structures of the collective unconscious, which is the inherited aspect of your psyche, which is shared by all people. All complexes(which are the structures of the personal unconscious) has roots in archetypes. So while we all share the same archetypal patterns in our fundamental brain wiring, those archetypes are personalized differently in different people. For example we all have the archetype of a hero, but how we relate to this inner hero and in what situations we act it out varies from person to person and is dependent on the persons complexes(and is not dependent on the persons type in any way).

Sure you can say that one person act out this hero often at one point of his life and is trying to catch people doing bad things. But when that guy gets stabbed and almost dies when trying to catch a graffiti artist, how he related to this archetype of a hero might change drastically, now he might not act it out at all.

This theory assumes that how the person relates to archetypes is something static(or if it doesent, choosing a career based on something that changes from moment to moment at least to some degree would be extremely stupid) and this obviously is not true. Also not to mention that the whole idea of personality(which this theory is trying to fit archetypes into) by definition is that the personality is reasonably static over time, and again how archetypes manifest in people is not something static, hence they cant be used to type personality. I could go on and on about explaining this, but i dont really care to do that, so im just going to suggest that you read Jung or some good sources on Jungs ideas like the journal of analytical psychology or books of jungian therapists.

chaoticbrain

MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] well, I may read Jung's thoughts on archetypes, though it seems like mostly your just arguing against the use of the word archetype, which I don't see why is so important, I mean he can use the word in this instance differently then Jung used it yes ?

Kimani

There are two archetypes for each of my types. So that means even the way I'm using them they aren't static. One archetype can dominate and then go away and another archetype can take it's place as being dominant.

And then there are many other less significant archetypes that occasionally come to the surface but not nearly as frequently as the two that define the personality.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTP well, I may read Jung's thoughts on archetypes, though it seems like mostly your just arguing against the use of the word archetype, which I don't see why is so important, I mean he can use the word in this instance differently then Jung used it yes ?

Jung made up the term archetype and gave it a definition. Using that word and meaning something completely different is like using the word dog when referring to a spider monkey, makes zero sense. Also he claims that he got this from Jungs theory, which kinda means that he is trying to use Jungs term archetype, when in fact he is not.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are two archetypes for each of my types. So that means even the way I'm using them they aren't static. One archetype can dominate and then go away and another archetype can take it's place as being dominant.

And then there are many other less significant archetypes that occasionally come to the surface but not nearly as frequently as the two that define the personality.

All the archetypes are in all people(tho they manifest in different people differently), not just two archetypes. Also when an archetype(in its real meaning) dominates the personality, its a sign of a neurosis(or some other mental illness) and not normal way of the person behaving.

Kimani

I know that a person encompasses all the archetypes. That's why I said that there are many other archetypes that also come to the surface. I even make that clear on my site.

This theory is about disorders so the 2 archetypes are dominating the personality giving evidence of disorders / mental illness.

I'm not using the term archetypes in any way that Jung wouldn't approve of. I don't understand what you're so offended by.