• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne-users; to what extent do you notice body language?

S

Stansmith

I've always been highly sensitive to body language and facial gestures, including my own. However, whenever I tell my ENFP therapist about a certain physical 'vibe' or presence I give off (mincing and standoffish), he never seems to not notice what I'm talking about, or even the importance in it, when to me its incredibly obvious. When I mention physical vibes or reaction I get from other people, he always seems perplexed by the concept, although he naturally tries to put himself in my shoes somewhat with his Ne.

Starry

I gain more information from the subtlest muscle movements, twitches, glances, etc. than anything from words really. But most of the time I feel like I'm absorbing the thing (thing? human interaction) energetically if that makes sense...

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Se users are very observant in a way I'll never be. My dad is an ESTP, and he is very good at sizing people up based on physical observation. He's not very sensitive about some things, but he's good at that. My mom, an ENFJ, likes to think she has amazing people-watching skills, but I've found that my dad's much more observant, even if his interaction skills are pretty so-so.

I pay a lot of attention to faces, and expressions, but I've noticed that I have a hard time taking in people's physicality as a whole. I tend to hyperfocus on small things, and my Ne uses that as a jumping off point. I'm also often lost in own little world, so I miss a lot of things.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Se users are very observant in a way I'll never be. My dad is an ESTP, and he is very good at sizing people up based on physical observation. He's not very sensitive about some things, but he's good at that. My mom, an ENFJ, likes to think she has amazing people-watching skills, but I've found that my dad's much more observant, even if his interaction skills are pretty so-so.

I pay a lot of attention to faces, and expressions, but I've noticed that I have a hard time taking in people's physicality as a whole. I tend to hyperfocus on small things, and my Ne uses that as a jumping off point. I'm also often lost in own little world, so I miss a lot of things.

I'm very much the same. Especially the bolded part.

Starry

My mom, an ENFJ, likes to think she has amazing people-watching skills, but I've found that my dad's much more observant, even if his interaction skills are pretty so-so.

^This surprises me...but that's based solely on my own experience and not necessarily any kind of 'known expected findings' ha. My Mom...can know deeply and form lasting bonds with an entire crowd of people without speaking to a single one of 'em... in your average visit to Starbucks or someplace like that. It's so weird and weirder still when she interrupts someone she knows *in reality* to empathize with/comment on something having to do with one of her 'new bffs' <-and I'm not talking gossip..I'm talking empathizing with the details of a stranger's life (details she should not necessarily know.) I hate going places with her. And speaking of instinctual variant I think ^^this is very ENFJ so-dom. What do you think your Mom is?

^^I attribute this to being highly sensitive and so I create a tunnel vision of sorts. The more comfortable I am the more I can take in.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I used to be very oblivious to it, now I'm making a conscious effort to read social cues/body language. You know that test going round the nets where you can judge a person's emotion through their eyes? I did OK, 25/36, but the ones that I missed were all to do with flirting. Desire, flirtation, and fantasizing... man, there's a sign if I ever needed one :smile:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i know that i give more importance to voice tone, body movements, eye movements etc than to words. also, this is why i'm not a big fan of Facebook, chats or any kind of non-visual / non-auditory communication system. this forum included....i feel kinda frustrated that i can't express myself fully.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not much. I have a hard time determining how people are feeling about things.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not much. I have a hard time determining how people are feeling about things.

Same. If I can't tell by their tone, I probably won't be able to tell at all. I pay very poor attention to detail, so it's hard enough for me to discern the nuance in their actions, let alone process in real-time and form an opinion about how they're responding physically.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get an overall vibe of a person that includes body language. I am pretty decent with that. But I am not very keen on the exacts. I laughed today when my ESFP friend told me my eyebrows looked especially good today. I have eyebrows? Oh, yeah, I do!

I am surprised that an NF counselor doesn't do vibe. Funny.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I gain more information from the subtlest muscle movements, twitches, glances, etc. than anything from words really. But most of the time I feel like I'm absorbing the thing (thing? human interaction) energetically if that makes sense...

Yep, not sure what I'm reading, but I'm all about the vibe. Face-to-face is a huge advantage for me too. Like being physically near someone.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get an overall vibe of a person that includes body language. I am pretty decent with that. But I am not very keen on the exacts. I laughed today when my ESFP friend told me my eyebrows looked especially good today. I have eyebrows? Oh, yeah, I do!

I am surprised that an NF counselor doesn't do vibe. Funny.

Very strange…

A

Anew Leaf

I am very gifted when it comes to body language and vocal tones. I may not always be able to explain why I know something is true. and I r very Ne.

Starry

i know that i give more importance to voice tone, body movements, eye movements etc than to words. also, this is why i'm not a big fan of Facebook, chats or any kind of non-visual / non-auditory communication system. this forum included....i feel kinda frustrated that i can't express myself fully.

Yep, not sure what I'm reading, but I'm all about the vibe. Face-to-face is a huge advantage for me too. Like being physically near someone.

Yes. And yes nic. I know I do something with the information I take-in from the physical realm and I know it usually has to do with identifying and processing the exceptions. So for example, if a facial expression doesn't line-up with what I would expect to see...the wheels start turning in my mind in an effort to anticipate what will occur in the subsequent moments, minutes, hours... <-I consider this to be what everyone does though.

What may be different (idk but it has seemed different in my experience) is the total vibe absorption haha! And for that I just need to be in the same vicinity as the person...I don't need to be looking at them. Does this sound weird?

But I've told so many people here that this is what makes online foruming more challenging for ENFPs. I'm always blown away by...basically every type except ENFP it seems but...? These people that can write pages and pages and pages of text on demand...when I'm like...wtf's going on?

The other thing which may be outside the scope of this thread (I don't remember haha)...is how we build on things...generally in the moment...and this is why I believe ENFPs produce minimal text...lots of short little bursts of sentences... is because it is so unnatural for us to first read some big ass production of text...and then respond with some big ass production of text in isolation. <-In an ENFP world that would be drilled down to 7,047 short back-and-forth-sentences.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But I've told so many people here that this is what makes online foruming more challenging for ENFPs. I'm always blown away by...basically every type except ENFP it seems but...? These people that can write pages and pages and pages of text on demand...when I'm like...wtf's going on?

The other thing which may be outside the scope of this thread (I don't remember haha)...is how we build on things...generally in the moment...and this is why I believe ENFPs produce minimal text...lots of short little bursts of sentences... is because it is so unnatural for us to first read some big ass production of text...and then respond with some big ass production of text in isolation. <-In an ENFP world that would be drilled down to 7,047 short back-and-forth-sentences.

Oh god, someone understands. :cry:

The second I see huge paragraphs of text about something that I only have a small interested in I just go like "nope, not gonna happen." I can't read for that long and respond with that much! If we were talking face to face it'd be so much easier.

Starry

Oh god, someone understands. :cry:

The second I see huge paragraphs of text about something that I only have a small interested in I just go like "nope, not gonna happen." I can't read for that long and respond with that much! If we were talking face to face it'd be so much easier.

I'm still totally stressed out over the reincarnation thread (in where I saw a post from Lady X actually requesting an ENFP version I think haha...) and had to PM pinkgraffiti asking about it... But I'm just browsing the forum yesterday maybe lalala...and I come to this thread

where pink is claiming that it's like the most terrifying thing she's ever read or something... and I'm looking at it like...there is no way in fuck I'm going to be able to read that haha.

In a similar scenario Elfboy posts pages and pages of this stuff on Narcissism for e7 and then I believe quite a few days later asks idk had anyone read it or if there were any comments on the material...

and one of my favorite e7s of all time [MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] posts something like 'No e7 is going to read all that.' haha.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah I often feel like we don't present ourselves well online. All the depth and insight that we have are just wasted because we can't be fucked lol. From time to time, I do post essay-length posts, but as soon as someone responds to it, I'm not bothered to respond.

MacabreCharade

They're likely to compensate if they make an effort, and this typically plays out into varying and often quirky solutions. Unfortunately, many people don't realise this kind of effort and could end up frustrated with them anyway.

That kind of detail often slips by them and they may not occasionally even be too convinced they should compensate at all. It takes an unusual amount of effort and doesn't come naturally. So they may intentionally try to avoid dealing with these matters. Others would have lower expectations of them, since they never stepped it up in the first place.

While they do recognise that it exists, they often disregard it, as it belongs to a sort of different wavelength. One they're not generally interested in.

This may've been more of a functional comparison.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm still totally stressed out over the reincarnation thread (in where I saw a post from Lady X actually requesting an ENFP version I think haha...) and had to PM pinkgraffiti asking about it... But I'm just browsing the forum yesterday maybe lalala...and I come to this thread

where pink is claiming that it's like the most terrifying thing she's ever read or something... and I'm looking at it like...there is no way in fuck I'm going to be able to read that haha.

In a similar scenario Elfboy posts pages and pages of this stuff on Narcissism for e7 and then I believe quite a few days later asks idk had anyone read it or if there were any comments on the material...

and one of my favorite e7s of all time [MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] posts something like 'No e7 is going to read all that.' haha.

you know, but that reincarnation thing i was like: ok let me read the first paragraph maybe it's interesting....and the 1st led to the 2nd, to the 3rd etc. sometimes it happens. anyways, short version is that when you die you don't die abruptly, first your body starts losing its functions (sight, hearing, etc); the second stage, you start losing your mind (and they describe how); the last stage, you lose your soul. ok, so what was scary is that the guy talked about the first stage, which is really cool and neat, and people usually describe seeing a light etc. but then the guy says that the stage after (which is about losing the soul) is just like the most horrible thing you will ever experience in your life: you will recall all bad things that ever happened to you or which you ever thought about (so it's even more scary, because it's about imagination as well)...

then the guy talked about how your soul has these changes where you feel your head light and some energy from your head goes to your anus and one from your anus to you head and he describes the horrible sensations you will feel in this moment. i can't explain it well, you have to read it if you want the full impact. what really scared me is the idea that when you die it's not one moment and you're done, but a long process (can take days, weeks) for your soul to disintegrate, and you feel ALL OF IT (for a 7, this is scary). and mostly, you can escape none of it, because all the bad things you've been avoiding all your life are just gonna come back and hit you in the gut.

before you ask, basically the author sustains that these things are true because its in the tibetan book of the death, and because tibetans have a lot of experience with death by seeing their loved ones die at home, and because they experience many of these stages during meditation (there is even an induced death-type of meditation). oh, and that little by little, all of these things that are described in the tibetan book of the death have been proved by science.

freaky.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I take everything into consideration. I don't notice body languages consciously right away, but it certainly plays a huge role. I think this needs to be true for anyone really. If someone is sitting frowning/unblinking for instance........could be just silly sarcasm based on their words, or it could be uncomfortable/cold. You really can't ignore it!! *Vibe* almost always includes some sensory clues.