• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is INTJ overrepresented here, or are people getting it wrong?

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It seems like every other person on this website claims to be INTJ. Given it's only 1% of the population this cannot possibly be right, or is it? Maybe it's just overrepresented for some reason, but I have no idea why that is. It seems like everyone wants to be INTJ though, but rarely they are.

Secondary question: why aren't there many S's here? They are found everywhere in real life, but barely anyone here claims to be one.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's obviously because we're awesome, and everyone wants to be one of us. :rock:

Seriously, because Jungian Typology is such a ridiculously abstract topic, there's of course an overwhelming N bias among the typology community. There is also an I bias because introverts are more likely to frequent internet forums. The T bias can be attributed to mislabeling T as "logical" and F as "Emotional". Of course everyone wants to think they're logical, when in actuality, its more like "systematic" vs. "sentimental", and of course it just comes down to function preferences (Wittgenstein, the greatest logician since Aristotle, was a feeler). So we have INTX. And I'm not sure INTJs are more common than INTPs here.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Agreed with the above. I think there's genuinely a lot of I's and N's here -- it's a typology forum afterall. And yes, there do seem to be a lot of IN's who mistype as INTJ's, just because intelligence and organisation skills are valued in our society. I don't think the forum vets who call themselves INTJ are imposters though.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems like every other person on this website claims to be INTJ. Given it's only 1% of the population this cannot possibly be right, or is it? Maybe it's just overrepresented for some reason, but I have no idea why that is. It seems like everyone wants to be INTJ though, but rarely they are.

Secondary question: why aren't there many S's here? They are found everywhere in real life, but barely anyone here claims to be one.
It's just that this is their only social outlet, so they post a lot. I know, it sucks, we ought to have quotas.

W

WALMART

A few other sites don't have this problem, Socionics forums mainly. MBTI is pretty jacked on the S/N dichotomy. That, combined with the fact that this site is a spin-off of www.intpcentral.com, is why everyone thinks they are an intuitor.

I was astounded to see a professionally accredited admin on a Socionics forum acknowledge Ni-doms as "sloppy thinkers", because that's about what I've gathered as well. They subvert the actuality of systems in preference of "a priori" knowledge; if a duality were presented, sensors would be objectivists (perhaps facile in understanding, to attribute something negative), and surely many intellectual types around here would be in favor of this approach to reality. But I digress.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was astounded to see a professionally accredited admin on a Socionics forum acknowledge Ni-doms as "sloppy thinkers", because that's about what I've gathered as well.

You are easily astounded, Sensor.

:wink:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

Q1: With the current population of the planet estimated at 7 billion, let's first knock off 20% for illiteracy. We're left with 5 billion six hundred million.

1% of the population being INTJ is a low estimate according to capt, but using that figure 1% of the literate population is 560000. I figure it stands to reason that at least a few of them have made it here.

Q2: Sensors have better things to do, like interact with the real world.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
In my defense, I am actually an INTP with OCB and the product of a Jewish mother with OCD, manic depression, and bi-polarism. So go work that one out.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:ninja: Anyone else get the urge to stick him behind plexiglass and study him like the lab rat he is? *holds out carrot*

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that the internet attracts ISTJs as much as any IN type. Unless "N" encompasses a lot of concrete thinkers, my inclination is to think that many, many of the INTJs online are ISTJs. Actually the INTJ forum culture feels very much like an ISTJ world when I was hanging out there. I love ISTJs also and they could easily include characters like Scully and Monk. They are very clear, linear, logical, specific, and methodical. I suspect that people who are genuinely INTJs have much more of an ethereal dimension to them. There is a different feeling, although Si can also have an idealistic, almost abstract quality to it from the way I understand it. It starts with the concrete and abstracts it inwardly. Ni takes the "big picture" or an already abstract conception of it and internalizes it, so it could almost be described as twice abstracted. I find it is easiest to describe it as an almost statistical thinking, especially when applied to Te because it is attempting to negotiate a sense of "everything", so it will think in approximations and overall tendencies and currents. ITJs who are extremely specific in ideas are much more likely ISTJs.

I think that all the INs are over-typed because Kiersey wrecked the Sensor categories in his book. He didn't understand the rich and broad nature of it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Liars, damned liars, and INTJs?

In my defense, I am actually an INTP with OCB and the product of a Jewish mother with OCD, manic depression, and bi-polarism. So go work that one out.
It seems no one is astounded by this news. :coffee:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Well, given the weakness of MBTI/typology as a model of anything,
And given that one can easily learn to 'work' the test to become which type comports with one's natural narcissistic tendencies,
It's not surprising that people choose IN*J so they can feel special and rare.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I think that the internet attracts ISTJs as much as any IN type...
I think you are right. But I think they tend to frequent forums about concrete things they are interested in (investing, gardening, auto-repair, etc.). There is an investing forum I frequent and MBTI did come up in the off topic section of the forum at one point, and there was a high prevalence if ISTJ's among those who bothered to take a quick test. Of course, MBTI interest faded quickly and everybody got back to business.

As far as INTJ's here go, I don't have enough insight. I see INTPs are under-represented here because most of them are at the comfy confines of INTPC (i'm only passing through myself while INTPC remains crippled). In know there is an INTJ forum (and it's pretty busy from what I understand - but I've only peeked in there). So one might wonder why INTJ's aren't following the INTP pattern with only a handful here. The theory that the resident INTJs have mis-typed themselves would hold some water on this basis (i.e. they don't like the INTJ forum because they are not really INTJs).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you do a "members search", and look for "INTPs, INFPs, or INFJs", you will find that all 3 of them are more common on this forum than INTJ!

Do some empirical research to better support your ideas before spouting poorly constructed theories.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
If you do a "members search", and look for "INTPs, INFPs, or INFJs", you will find that all 3 of them are more common on this forum than INTJ!

Do some empirical research to better support your ideas before spouting poorly constructed theories.

Emperical research? Poorly constructed theories? Like the kind in your threads about 'cosmology', etc?
You are a perfect example of what I wrote in post #12.
You can call it 'Ni' or whatever escape valve suits you, you can believe that all truth is provisional and therefore requires no proof beyond that it feels right to you, but magical thinking is still magical thinking.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that all the INs are over-typed because Kiersey wrecked the Sensor categories in his book. He didn't understand the rich and broad nature of it.

Yep.

Also I feel skeptical of all percentage estimates. Wayyy too many confounding variables.

The easy answer is this is the internet, where immediate and highly involved social interaction is not required, where theoretical discussion abounds, and where logic can be easily demonstrated. INTxs should be expected to show up.

I

Infinite Bubble

Because people who read all the amateurish internet tripe learn that "S" basically stands for "Shit", Ni makes you a genius, Thinker means you are not an illogical whiner, and that being an INJ makes you special.

There will be more than average INTJs and other Intuitives on the internet, but the scale is still a bit too lopsided from what I gather.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

When I ran these numbers a year ago, it was 12%. INTJs were ranked 4th in terms of frequency.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...trices/58002-forum-statistics-mbti-types.html

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that the internet attracts ISTJs as much as any IN type. Unless "N" encompasses a lot of concrete thinkers, my inclination is to think that many, many of the INTJs online are ISTJs. Actually the INTJ forum culture feels very much like an ISTJ world when I was hanging out there. I love ISTJs also and they could easily include characters like Scully and Monk. They are very clear, linear, logical, specific, and methodical. I suspect that people who are genuinely INTJs have much more of an ethereal dimension to them. There is a different feeling, although Si can also have an idealistic, almost abstract quality to it from the way I understand it. It starts with the concrete and abstracts it inwardly. Ni takes the "big picture" or an already abstract conception of it and internalizes it, so it could almost be described as twice abstracted. I find it is easiest to describe it as an almost statistical thinking, especially when applied to Te because it is attempting to negotiate a sense of "everything", so it will think in approximations and overall tendencies and currents. ITJs who are extremely specific in ideas are much more likely ISTJs.

Definitely agree with this. Especially about INTJ's "ethereal dimension". I wasn't sure how to describe that. Thanks for putting it into words. :)