• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

_

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an NF so I'm never hung up on what actually happens in movies -- it's all about how they make me feel :D

And maybe it's my Fe -- I try to 'correct' plot holes that I notice by imagining extra scenes or explanations that will make it work...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know what you mean about plot holes too and it bothers me to the extent of suspension of disbelief. Take the Harry Potter series - there's a lot of unexplained stuff in there. But I felt like throughout the books, I was never abruptly "pulled out" of the storyline by a sudden realization that the situation was completely unbelievable. That's the sort of experience that I seek, and what is meaningful to me. I desire full immersion and it bothers me if that's interrupted.

As for my ISTP brother, I don't think he's much into fiction. He did like the deadpan humor of Napoleon Dynamite and he enjoys watching horror movies for the thrill. He'll also praise the nitty-gritty of well done action scenes.

My INTP dad's a physician and we'd all sit around and watch House and enjoy Dad pointing out the medical inaccuracies :D He always said it was pretty decent as far as doctor shows go, though. Not so much fudgery that he didn't like watching - though he preferred the chemistry in Breaking Bad.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I live plot holes. In highschool my friends and I loved renting horribly bad movies and basically talking all over them and laughing. Noisy movie watching is fun. I think this is fine because I always think of my self as observing the movie, I very rarely feel like I'm in it. There's always a sense of separation I'm always thinking about who wrote it or what they might have happen next. Similarly with books I always like flipping to end the end rather than letting things be a mystery (though I've been trying to so this more). I have two NF friends who are horrified by this one especially can't stand me asking questions/theorizing while watching movies. He'd seen "looper" three times and still got annoyed when I quickly predicted that the kid was the rainmaker. He was still in the moment and wanted me to be too.

W

WALMART

Weird, I almost never spot plot holes. If I'm watching something, I'm genuinely interested, and my propensity to suspend disbelief is incredible. I just wanna experience what they're presenting.

Afterwards, yeah, I'll start to piece things together more carefully, but I usually dream up reasons things happened the way they did. That's half the fun. One time I was analyzing the end of a book with a friend and he told me, "Yeah, but does the author even know that's what it means?" So lolz.

My favorite futuristic hard science fiction series is the Sprawl trilogy. Corporate espionage, Voodoo AI programs, young punk hackers - it's got it all.

G

garbage

Ah, plot holes. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far. Taken past that, the band snaps loose and you get hurled out of the work of fiction and right back into reality, immediately and forcefully. Bam. Immersion lost.

See also: Seeing a movie that has a huge plot twist, then replaying the movie from the beginning (even if in your head) with that twist in mind to see if the movie actually makes any sense at all.

Speculation can be fun -- What could be done with this story, or with this character, scene, piece-part, etc. ? Often, though, the author's messed his own fictional world up too much for me to care. If he can't get his straight, then there are plenty of other, more fulfilling universes out there for me to dabble in.

Standuble

I do like mulling over a plot hole or two but it must be an interesting subject. If it is not then I would let it slide. Primarily it involves time travel. I love time travel in movies. I honestly analyse the heck out of it despite my type. If the butterfly effect is being underplayed e.g. a time line change produces an alternate timeline too close to the original then I am on the case. It's all in good fun however.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I only see plot holes once they are pointed out for me.

Inferior Ti sheep and all that.