• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Another system of type and function categorization

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure similar thoughts abound, but here's my spin on it.

Analogous to the Traditional Chinese Medicine system of categorizing disharmonies as corresponding to an excess or deficiency of heat, cold, wetness or dryness, I am categorizing the cognitive functions and types according to the axes of hot-cold, wet-dry.

*It seems that Fe and Se are more fiery than Te and Ne, but then the pattern wouldn't work. So I don't know. The mental plane is air and the emotional is more fire, but the emotions are wet and the intellect is dry. So the elements are meant in another way from the standard, I think. If a solution to this dilemma comes up I'll have to revise the theory. For temperamental purposes, I suppose you could switch air and fire as being respectively hot and dry and hot and wet.

Ti- cold, dry Earth hard, sharp
Te- hot, dry Fire* hard, blunt
Fi- cold, wet Water soft, smooth
Fe- hot, wet Air* soft, fluffy

Ni- cold, wet Water heavier, flowing,
Ne- hot, dry Fire* lighter, expansive
Si- cold, dry Earth heavier, stable
Se- hot, wet Air* lighter, focused

Here's your horoscope (lol): find your type!
INFJ
Appear: cool and calm, but can be uncharacteristically hot and unpredictable.
Continual tension between refinement and primitiveness.
Present themselves publicly as warm and cuddly, but when tested become cold and incisive.
ENFJ
Appear: warm and fuzzy and cuddly, but when under stress can be cold and prickly.
Continual tension between social attachment and rational detachment.
Publicly present themselves as refined and elegant, but once you get to know them are sensual and simple.
INTP
Appear: cold and logical, but can be uncharacteristically warm and fuzzy.
Publicly present themselves as lively and witty, but are actually stable and predictable.
Continual tension between rational detachment and social attachment.
ENTP
Appear: to have their head in the clouds, but when under pressure root firmly to the earth.
Continual tension between ideas and physical reality.
Publicly present themselves as detached and logical, but among friends are warm and affectionate.
INTJ
Appear: cool and calm, but can be uncharacteristically hot and unpredictable.
Continual tension between refinement and primitiveness.
Present themselves publicly as tough and controlled, but when in intimate company are soft and squishy.
ENTJ
Appear: tough and controlled, but underneath the armor lies a soft and vulnerable interior.
Continual tension between order and chaos.
Publicly present themselves as refined and elegant, but once you get to know them are sensual and simple.
INFP
Appear: soft and squishy, but when threatened or under pressure become tough and controlled.
Continual tension between ideals and reality.
Publicly present themselves as lively and witty, but are actually stable and predictable.
ENFP
Appear: to have their head in the clouds, but when under pressure root firmly to the earth.
Continual tension between ideas and physical reality.
Publicly present themselves as passionate free spirits, but are actually capable and rational.
ISFP
Appear: soft and squishy, but when threatened or under pressure become tough and controlled.
Continual tension between ideals and reality.
Publicly present themselves as sensual and simple, but once you get to know them find out they are idiosyncratic and detached.
ESFP
Appear: superficial and energetic, but can occasionally be calm and contemplative.
Continual tension between facts and meaning.
Publicly present themselves as passionate free spirits, but are actually capable and rational.
ISTP
Appear: cold and logical, but can be uncharacteristically warm and fuzzy.
Continual tension between rational detachment and social attachment.
Publicly present themselves as sensual and simple, but once you get to know them find out they are idiosyncratic and detached.
ESTP
Appear: superficial and energetic, but can occasionally be calm and contemplative.
Continual tension between facts and meaning.
Publicly present themselves as detached and logical, but among friends are warm and affectionate.
ISFJ
Appear stable and predictable, but can be uncharacteristically funny and spontaneous.
Continual tension between security and risk.
Present themselves publicly as warm and cuddly, but when tested become cold and incisive.
ESFJ
Appear: warm and fuzzy and cuddly, but when under stress can be cold and prickly.
Continual tension between social attachment and rational detachment.
Present themselves publicly as conventional and predictable, but among friends are lively and spontaneous.
ISTJ
Appear stable and predictable, but can be uncharacteristically funny and spontaneous.
Continual tension between security and risk.
Present themselves publicly as tough and controlled, but when in intimate company are soft and squishy.
ESTJ
Appear: tough and controlled, but underneath the armor lies a soft and vulnerable interior.
Continual tension between order and chaos.
Present themselves publicly as conventional and predictable, but among friends are lively and spontaneous.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know Zang developed a Metagram system that includes 24 fundamental emotions based on some kind of funny Buddhist categories, kind of like what you did here on personality traits with Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Perhaps many of the various systems of the ancient world contain much wisdom our society is very much asleep to.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems to work.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love your type descriptions! I can say that the ENFP and INFP are pretty accurate! I also find it interesting what you said about chinese medicine. I don't know if your system fits or not (it's debatable), but just one thing: I read somewhere that emotions can be linked to water, rather than fire (i think it was the horoscopes!?!?! - pisces, cancer, scorpio are all emotion signs). I don't know what the basis for that statement would be though...

Oh, btw: ENFP and ENTP similar description? I thought the down-to-earth reply of ENFPs to stress would be Te....but you use the same for ENTP, so that got me confused.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting concept. I think you are actually correct with Ne and Te being fire. Ne is described as sometimes destructive with its fickleness. Se is more like air, taking up all the space, merging with the environment.

I don't relate to the INFP description though. I'm cool and aloof on the surface but can be warm with intimates. This is feedback given to me from others. It's also in line with many Fi and INFP descriptions. Many of us are not warm on the surface. I'm also not lively or witty with people I don't know. I can be animated and silly with friends though, but it doesn't characterize me. People can think I'm more serious than I really am and are surprised at how free spirited and relaxed I actually am.
The conflict between ideals and reality is very true though.

Last edited:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting concept. I think you are actually correct with Ne and Te being fire. Ne is described as sometimes destructiveness with its fickleness. Se is more like air, taking up all the space, merging with the environment.

I don't relate to the INFP description though. I'm cool and aloof on the surface but can be warm with intimates. This is feedback given to me from others. It's also in line with many Fi and INFP descriptions. Many of us are not warm on the surface. I'm also not lively or witty with people I don't know. I can be animated and silly with friends though, but it doesn't characterize me. People can think I'm more serious than I really am and are surprised at how free spirited and relaxed I actually am.
The conflict between ideals and reality is very true though.
Cool, thanks for the feedback! I will incorporate the info.
I love your type descriptions! I can say that the ENFP and INFP are pretty accurate! I also find it interesting what you said about chinese medicine. I don't know if your system fits or not (it's debatable), but just one thing: I read somewhere that emotions can be linked to water, rather than fire (i think it was the horoscopes!?!?! - pisces, cancer, scorpio are all emotion signs). I don't know what the basis for that statement would be though...

Oh, btw: ENFP and ENTP similar description? I thought the down-to-earth reply of ENFPs to stress would be Te....but you use the same for ENTP, so that got me confused.
Yay!

Emotions can be either in my opinion, but I associate them mostly with water. It's just an intuitive and experiential thing; the emotional plane has always corresponded to the astral plane, and with water in the different metaphysical systems I have encountered. Fire describes more passionate, energetic emotions.

I was simply going by associations with the functions. Having your head in the clouds would be Ne, being all random mental energy- and then Si roots you to the earth- sometimes to an excess when you are stressed (because it is the inferior function). So ENTP's would share that.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nice.

What's the difference between "appearance" and "public presentation", though? Is the presentation something that occurs as a conscious effort?

I would say I am actually relatively stable, but I constantly worry about whether people will be bored by that or not. I feel as though stable doesn't really cut it, so it's never something I play it.

About the introverted SJs.... do they run into issues with people thinking they are boring (I don't agree, just stating the common impression)? I mean, Si gets kind of a bad rep, doesn't it? It seems to me like it might be misunderstood and unwuved like Ti. I kind of admire it, though.