• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introversion/extroversion and length of time able to spend socially isolated

How long can you spend without social contact?

• Introvert: A few hours - a day

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Introvert: A few days - a week

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Introvert: A few weeks - a month

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Introvert: Months at a time

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Extrovert: A few hours - a day

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Extrovert: A few days - a week

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Extrovert: A few weeks - a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extrovert: Months at a time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I

Infinite Bubble

I'm primarily interested in finding out the average length of time that introverts can spend being alone without getting sufficiently agitated/bothered about it. When I say alone, I don't mean completely isolated with absolutely nobody present whatsoever (most people live with at least one other person, for instance), but simply time without recreational social activity or contact with friends, etc.

In the interest of fairness, the poll also contains the options for extroverts. It would interesting to see the strength of the link between cognitive introversion/extroversion and social introversion/extroversion.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm currently in an introverted state. Not sure how long this phase will last. Probably not too long. But if I'm in a "normal" state--- one week without interraction would start to make me itch.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I say alone, I don't mean completely isolated with absolutely nobody present whatsoever (most people live with at least one other person, for instance), but simply time without recreational social activity or contact with friends, etc.

So...what is recreational social activity? I talk to my roommates every day, sometimes hang out with them and cook/play games/watch TV, play sports/hiking with other people, talk to people at work, chat online with (real-life and online) friends etc. Do any of these count or do you mean just parties and stuff where the only goal is socializing?

Depending on what's counted as "social activity" my answer could be anything from indefinitely to a day or two.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
without social contact means without speaking to....anyone?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah if I went a full day and didn't talk to anyone I'm sure I'd feel antsy by the end of it. More than one day in a week and I'm like callin friends and going to stores hoping to have a friendly exchange with a stranger. The Internet helps. I can chat with someone there, and it's not as good as the real thing, but I still get my interaction fix. It's really about energy exchange for me. I usually say I need to be "filled up" when I'm feeling drained from too much alone time.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I think I'm an introvert even though there seems to be widespread doubt, but I need a few days of isolation a week and a few days of real connection and interaction...not necessarily with new people though, just with people I relate to well. 50/50, I'd say.

I

Infinite Bubble

So...what is recreational social activity? I talk to my roommates every day, sometimes hang out with them and cook/play games/watch TV, play sports/hiking with other people, talk to people at work, chat online with (real-life and online) friends etc. Do any of these count or do you mean just parties and stuff where the only goal is socializing?

Depending on what's counted as "social activity" my answer could be anything from indefinitely to a day or two.

Okay, I'll just simplify it to socializing. So all of that counts. What stuff that doesn't count is talking to people that is not for the purpose of socializing, for example, making a business phone call, or if a stranger asks what time it is etc.

without social contact means without speaking to....anyone?

No casual socializing such as talking to friends. See above!

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah if I went a full day and didn't talk to anyone I'm sure I'd feel antsy by the end of it. More than one day in a week and I'm like callin friends and going to stores hoping to have a friendly exchange with a stranger. The Internet helps. I can chat with someone there, and it's not as good as the real thing, but I still get my interaction fix. It's really about energy exchange for me. I usually say I need to be "filled up" when I'm feeling drained from too much alone time.
This is interesting. Sometimes, I go out just for the sake of getting a change of scenery or interacting with new people, but more often, I avoid going to places where I'll be forced to interact with people because I'm too tired. For example, when I was in college, I was heavily involved in student groups - people were always looking for me and engaging me so I was always burning the candle at both ends...at the end of the day, I'd barricade myself in my dorm room and even when I wanted to go to the gym, I wouldn't do it because I was afraid that having to say "hi" to the security guard at the entrance would be enough to do me in. So, I started downloading workout videos and doing them in my dorm room by myself.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unsurprisingly, depends.

Generally though, I use this as a gauge -- there have been several times in my life where I've had nothing going on on a weekend, entertaining myself /solely by myself, no interaction with anyone (have also always lived by myself, well, at least for the past 10-11 yrs). First day can be enjoyable, peaceful, I like these days. Second day begins to wear on me and I start becoming lonely and bored, wanting connection or something outside myself to do/experience. It's not like I'm going crazy, I just notice it and it's not as enjoyable/pleasant for me. Beyond the two-days-in-a-row and it becomes more depressing. Exceptions to this, but yeah. (voted a few days/week)

Edit: Actually misread/misinterpreted OP. Was thinking zero contact with anyone, ie totally alone, no SO, no interaction of any sort (including emailing/text), or anything. 'recreational social contact'/ getting together with friends, I don't require every two days.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I'll just simplify it to socializing. So all of that counts. What stuff that doesn't count is talking to people that is not for the purpose of socializing, for example, making a business phone call, or if a stranger asks what time it is etc.

No casual socializing such as talking to friends. See above!

oh oops i'm sorry you were right.

in that case, there's a vote for "a few hours - day" that should go to "a few days - week"

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

In that case I'll say maybe 48-96h, since the odd long-weekend at home alone is nice at first and then slowly starts to get a bit lonely/boring. I've never gone longer than a few days without socializing so I'm not sure how I'd react to that.

(but between work/roommates/sports every week, I can and often do go weeks without any additional socializing).

I'm probably like a 9/10 on an arbitrary introversion scale, though.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introvert: A few weeks - a month

G

garbage

Depending on whatever else is going on, I have upswings and downswings of social activity, each lasting for months at a time. Neither the upswing nor downswing bother me.

I also get most of my quality social interaction via chat, since many of my friends aren't local.

(JCF) Extrovert: Months at a time

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assuming I maintain my usual non-social routine of work and errands, I could easily go months, which is how I voted. I have spent ~3 day periods without speaking to another soul other than another hiker on the trail asking directions. It seemed like heaven, only too brief; a package of crackers for a starving person. I suspect I could tolerate and even enjoy longer periods of complete solitude, but alas have not had the opportunity to test that hypothesis.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is interesting. Sometimes, I go out just for the sake of getting a change of scenery or interacting with new people, but more often, I avoid going to places where I'll be forced to interact with people because I'm too tired. For example, when I was in college, I was heavily involved in student groups - people were always looking for me and engaging me so I was always burning the candle at both ends...at the end of the day, I'd barricade myself in my dorm room and even when I wanted to go to the gym, I wouldn't do it because I was afraid that having to say "hi" to the security guard at the entrance would be enough to do me in. So, I started downloading workout videos and doing them in my dorm room by myself.

Yeah, there are definite times when I've had enough and just need to be left alone. Especially if I've had to be "on" for too long. Like socializing with people who I can't be 100% comfortable around. More and more all I really want is time with my close few friends and my husband. But like, good quality time. And getting out. I need to get out and do things.

That's too funny about the gym thing though!

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah, there are definite times when I've had enough and just need to be left alone. Especially if I've had to be "on" for too long. Like socializing with people who I can't be 100% comfortable around. More and more all I really want is time with my close few friends and my husband. But like, good quality time. And getting out. I need to get out and do things.

This sounds pretty much exactly like me. I think you're selling me on the extrovert bandwagon!

Haha, I'm sure the people who lived below me were pissed! But yes, thankfully Youtube has a lot to offer if you search for "cardio workout."

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
A couple of days, I think.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

A few days to a week. But not talking to anyone at all? Maybe a little less than that. However, sometimes I'm tired of social contact but I feel like I need it at the same time because my Fe demands it, and I need to "connect" with someone. Good, quality time like nicolita said. But preferably someone I'm extremely close with who is a fellow introvert who I can either just sit and do nothing with, not having to talk, or someone I can have meaningful conversations with.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A few hours alone is usually plenty for me to recenter. Every so often I like having a day to tool around or just veg on the couch completely on my own. But half the time I end up on TypoC, which is technically socializing.

RoadPaveMent

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Introvert - months at a time. Like right now. I wish I could interact with people even less.

Unless we include talking to strangers the internet. Like here. Then a couple days at most.