• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

_

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's a bit too much logic there for me to completely follow, but I think your basic point is that some people type more by general impressions or connections, whereas other people reference external frameworks to support what they see in the type.

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, which I guess is needless to say.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ain't never heard an INTP say that before.

What's your vision of the INTP personality type? Do I not fit that vision?

Those are serious questions, because I really don't know.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I know a female INTP...
She is a very interesting, kind, philosophical, logical, thoughtful girl.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so

She's just joking, I'm pretty sure :)

You come off as TiNe or TiNi.

One thing you could try - take the Big 5 (NEO-PI) inventory, and then use the published correlations with the MBTI (found on the Wikipedia article) to narrow down your type. You should be unfamiliar with the NEO-PI questions which will help with the problem of knowing too much about the MBTI questions (which introduces bias).
Haha, I was partially joking, mingularity. But INTPs generally fancy themselves experts on matters of logic, no matter how esoteric the subject matter is, so I just found your word choice "there's a bit too much logic in there for me to completely follow" funny. What drew you to self-identify as INTP?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, I was partially joking, mingularity. But INTPs generally fancy themselves experts on matters of logic, no matter how esoteric the subject matter is, so I just found your word choice "there's a bit too much logic in there for me to completely follow" funny. What drew you to self-identify as INTP?

I've had various types recommended to me throughout my time on this forum, and the most common ones suggested for me were INTP, ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ, in that order. INTP was the most common, and in the middle of the 4. I think it fits best because I'm always trying to reason things out and build up complex views on things. This may or may not involve all of the laws of logic (reason after all can integrate logic along with many other fields). This would be Ti most likely, and I chose Ne over Ni, since I'm very open to new ways of thinking and expanding. I'm also very good at randomly generating crazy ideas and bouncing a bunch of things around. Ni I would think is more about insights.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I've had various types recommended to me throughout my time on this forum, and the most common ones suggested for me were INTP, ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ, in that order. INTP was the most common, and in the middle of the 4. I think it fits best because I'm always trying to reason things out and build up complex views on things. This may or may not involve all of the laws of logic (reason after all can integrate logic along with many other fields). This would be Ti most likely, and I chose Ne over Ni, since I'm very open to new ways of thinking and expanding. I'm also very good at randomly generating crazy ideas and bouncing a bunch of things around. Ni I would think is more about insights.
The way you picked your type reads "J" more than "P." How much consideration have you given to INTJ?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have you merely memorized the surface features of type X (shallow), or do you actually know what it's like to be like type X? (deep)

How does one, especially with different functions, know what it is like to be like type X? This is really interesting to me. So any insight you can give would be helpful. How does one know where their created model ends and the other persons experience begins?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The futility of man is highly evident to me after years of thinking.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
One thing you could try - take the Big 5 (NEO-PI) inventory, and then use the published correlations with the MBTI (found on the Wikipedia article) to narrow down your type. You should be unfamiliar with the NEO-PI questions which will help with the problem of knowing too much about the MBTI questions (which introduces bias).

I remember being fascinated with the big 5 for a short lived time after watching Child of Our Time on television a while back. If I recall correctly my score on the BBC website was low everything except neuroticism, which was through the roof.

I agree with your points on typing people and the limitations and pitfalls in certain methods.