• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dynamic Opposites

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
e.g ESFP/ENTP.

Case Study: The Quiet American (about an ISTJ and an INFJ) (I'll describe the movie another time, I just wrote this post for one hour and then lost it when I tried to post it)

These people can offend each other and bring out the worst in each other. And most of it seems to be about the turf war these types fight over thier 4th and 5th functions. So the extraverted sensing type cares about symbology, and I don't, I care about a frame of reference to the past, they don't, and we both offend each other that way. (try to imagine an ENTJ admitting that they have less original principles than an ESFJ. And yet, many extraverted feeling types are excellent editors, and older E_FJs are experts at using the right words to describe something). I also wonder whether animosity is more likely to occur between middle aged dynamic opposites. And yet, these types get in fights as kids also.

And on the other hand, some people are good friends with thier dynamic opposite.

redacted

yeah my mom is an ISTJ and...wow. bad.

i relate much more to ESTPs.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Well, they have no cognitive functions in common, so naturally communication is going to be difficult. If you get two healthy individuals, I'm sure it'd be okay, but things go too easily wrong, methinks.

ESFP: Se Fi Te Ni
ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si

I haven't got any ESTP friends, so I can't really say whether I get along with them or not. But maybe there's a reason that's the case!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know about a dozen or so ESFPs. I get along with them just as well as I get along with an ISFJ or INTP.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just wondering, but has anyone else seen The Quiet American?

heart

heart on fire
Warning: Feeling orientated response.

I have an ISTP relative (my Dynamic opposite).

He has a good heart and is a good guy, but he has this arrogance that he's always right and my impression is that he often seems to miss the larger picture. I seldom try to correct him because he is so certain that he knows best but he feels very free to tell me all the time how wrong I am on things, I just try to ignore his lectures/digs with good humor or avoid him when he gets to be too much. ( I am into a long term period of avoidance with him right now)

It is near to impossible to discuss things with someone who is so convinced they are always right so I just try to avoid those topics. The worst thing is his asking for advice that he always rejects, so now I won't give any advice when he asks either.

(i.e. his wife is sick and needs medication to function and he says they cannot afford it, but he just bought a 1000.00 gaming computer? Then he wants to rant for hours about how "lazy" his wife is, what a bad wife she is, that she sleeps too much and is too emotional! But then when I try to explain, hey she's sick with no treatment, you cannot expect changes in her until she gets treatment she needs, he says "Yeah but I do everything I need to do in life no matter how bad I feel" I say, you aren't in her shoes you cannot know exactly what she's going through. He just keeps on with the "but I do what I need to do no matter how I feel" it does no good to explain that he is healthy with no issues requiring daily medication, no he knows best, and yet he wants advice on how to motivate her properly to overcome her issues without the medication and won't listen to the facts of the matter that she appparently has a condition she cannot over come without the medical help! It is maddening to try and reason with him on this, because of course he knows best. Where did he get his ideas on the subject, from a book or another source? Just his own a$$...

But then he tells me I am *stupid* for getting a dental treatment that will protect my long term health? I am tired of hearing it!)

He knows it all, so he has to learn it all the hard way I guess. Still it is painful to watch and that often leads me to avoid him too.

Goodness knows, he isn't making bad choices because he is ISTP, but it is the assurance that he is right and that there is nothing deeper to issues than what they seem on the very surface and that his own experience is good enough to extrapolate outwards to others without further info that just sends me into "I cannot relate to this person at all" mode, and makes me just want to be nice and placating because there's nothing I can do to reason with him or reach him, he does not respect the way my mind works and I don't understand how he does, so that's it. Don't get me wrong, I like this person and have empathy for them, I just cannot understand them and they think I am like nuts or something. Part of the reason I won't give advice anymore is I became convinced that he might be rejecting it based solely on the manner in which I come to conclusions and my style of persuasion. I figure why poision the waters.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh, OK, I don't know much about how these two types interact, and I'm not up for describing in non-theorese why they are opposite.

But We can still have a case study on the 8th function (which is what I really wanted to do in the first place).

I mentioned the demonic Si moment, here's the demonic Ni moment.

Pyle, in defense of his mission, says "we will save lives"

Caine's character walks to the window with a book (the cue for his EN_P friend's henchmen) and reads a poem.

"I drive through the streets, and care not a damn;
The people they stare, and they ask who I am;
And if I should chance to run over a cad,
I can pay for the damage if ever so bad."

I suppose the next question is whether Pyle could be a real INFJ, or if that kind of INFJ only exists in an ISTJ's head (I'm betting that the author of the book The Quiet American was an ISTJ).

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
ISFJ
INTJ

INFJ
ISTJ

Neither dynamic works well for me, but the first is a little better. I don't have any ISTJ friends, just a library acquaintance. I have an INTJ friend; we get along fine and have some common interests, but we're not bosom buddies. I relate much better to ENTPs.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh, OK, I don't know much about how these two types interact, and I'm not up for describing in non-theorese why they are opposite.

But We can still have a case study on the 8th function (which is what I really wanted to do in the first place).

I mentioned the demonic Si moment, here's the demonic Ni moment.

Pyle, in defense of his mission, says "we will save lives"

Caine's character walks to the window with a book (the cue for his EN_P friend's henchmen) and reads a poem.

"I drive through the streets, and care not a damn;
The people they stare, and they ask who I am;
And if I should chance to run over a cad,
I can pay for the damage if ever so bad."

I suppose the next question is whether Pyle could be a real INFJ, or if that kind of INFJ only exists in an ISTJ's head (I'm betting that the author of the book The Quiet American was an ISTJ).

Sorry heart, you poured your heart out before I posted that (above).

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Haven't seen the Quiet American.

Dynamic opposites--just had a discussion with someone else about why I never use that term with clients and why it messes me up. Being an INFJ...I actually have several ISTJ friends, including one of the few college buddies I've kept in constant contact with. The I helps--thinking before speaking saves a lot of hassles. I think we knew we were really different people and had a blast with it.

Now ISTJ/INFJ in the workplace...came down to maturity, as in all things. Had an ISTJ boss who lied and set me up I think motivated by not wanting anyone to know more than he did. Heard from a friend that he's been demoted now and is working for an NF female; revenge is so sweet when you didn't have to lift a finger.

I actually have more trouble with ENFJs (cant remember what the official opposite is for that) where their dominant is my auxiliary. It's like we do a characature of each others' dominants and it's really weird.