• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help with typing someone?

Blair

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So I'm kinda new to MBTI, and I only have an extremely shallow understanding of it. I've been trying to figure out somebody's type for a little while now, I was wondering if I could get any pointers, or maybe ideas on what he could be?

I do think he's introverted. He has a lot of friends. However, he's a pretty private person, even secretive. He generally doesn't bother to update people that much about his life. He's awkward but still social, but at the end of the day I think he enjoys being alone. I've often gotten the sense that he's somewhere else. You can always tell he's thinking about things. He's admitted that he thinks too much sometimes, over-analyzing. He's careful about which thoughts he shares. He has a tendency to be subtle and beat around the bush when it comes to serious conversations, and then suddenly become very blunt.
He's determined, ambitious, and pretty goal-oriented. He's not the kind of person who gives up easily (incredibly stubborn, sometimes even relentless) and I could never see him as lazy. He has a busy life. He's also pretty skilled- plays a few instruments (seems especially passionate about piano), along with being a decent artist and a little bit of an athlete.
He's really indecisive (I guess the result of overthinking so much).
Slight temper, but he manages to keep his cool. He's not an expressive person.
He has a still, almost intimidating air to him. However, he's usually polite to anyone who treats him the same way and he's generally seen as a friendly guy.
He has an offbeat and very sarcastic sense of humor.
Not extremely emotional and definitely doesn't get emotionally attached to anything easily.

Any help?

I

Infinite Bubble

Yeah, INTJ is the best guess from this, but there is nothing to properly analyse his cognitive processes from, so the conclusion is only based on the stereotypes of INTJ behaviour.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Alternatively, ISTP.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could be ISTP, I'll agree on that. Leaning toward INTJ because I know a few pretty well in real life (one very well), and this sounds a lot like him.

Blair

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks, that's definitely helpful.
Adding on to my first post- I'd describe him as a careful person, but at the same time he really likes thrill. For instance, he told me once that he likes standing on the edge of a cliff purely for the thrill. I think he'd be more adventurous if he were more laid back. I always get the sense that's he's sorta... restrained, I guess? He's self-conscious about the image he holds up. A lot of his traits clash with each other that way- it's like different sides of his personality have a power struggle, which he's pretty much admitted to me many times before.
Along with being secretive, he's been known to make up stories sometimes. He has a natural knack for lying. It's not for the sole purpose of lying- he always has a reason.

Any methods that would make it easier to tell whether he's an INTJ or ISTP (if he's either)?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any methods that would make it easier to tell whether he's an INTJ or ISTP (if he's either)?

I thought ISTPs are suppost to be better at solving problems, and that INTJs are better at building visions.

To phrase that into a question, is he better at making stuff work, or imagining new worlds?

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm. Your second description screams ISTP. Interesting.

Look at how he processes information... If he's more of a facts type of person, he's probably more of an S. If he's more of an idea/possibilities person, he's probably an N. J and P have to do with how you like to organize or relate yourself to the world. Just a cliche example (but it's true from what I've noticed), but Js tend to feel more comfortable and secure if they have their plans set in place, no loose ends, etc. Ps tend to feel more secure and comfortable with leaving things open-ended.

I probably didn't explain that as well as I'd liked to, but interestingly enough, WikiHow has a good page on how to type yourself (but it's pretty handy for typing others too).
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Myers-Briggs-Personality-Type

Blair

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Look at how he processes information... If he's more of a facts type of person, he's probably more of an S. If he's more of an idea/possibilities person, he's probably an N.

I'd go with N. He does think of possibilities and "what-if"s a lot, which makes him a good planner. He thinks ahead of time of what he could do in a situation. He's never entirely in the present. He thinks of everything he could do in the future (and usually carries out with plans) and he'll look back into the past, too, and sees what he could've done differently.
Thanks for the link. The wording makes it clearer.

I thought ISTPs are suppost to be better at solving problems, and that INTJs are better at building visions.

To phrase that into a question, is he better at making stuff work, or imagining new worlds?

He's not the greatest with current problems- he often has a flawed, messy way of fixing unexpected situations. He's better with envisioning what could be.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd go with N. He does think of possibilities and "what-if"s a lot, which makes him a good planner. He thinks ahead of time of what he could do in a situation. He's never entirely in the present. He thinks of everything he could do in the future (and usually carries out with plans) and he'll look back into the past, too, and sees what he could've done differently.
Thanks for the link. The wording makes it clearer.

He's not the greatest with current problems- he often has a flawed, messy way of fixing unexpected situations. He's better with envisioning what could be.

I would say he's almost definitely an N, then. Have you figured out if he is a J or a P?

Blair

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I would say he's almost definitely an N, then. Have you figured out if he is a J or a P?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm leaning towards J. Here's the thing- he's a decision maker, definitely. He likes having a set plan and having sure decisions. However, he has a tendency to go back on those plans and re-make the same decision repeatedly.