• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what are the core assumptions behind typology?

S

Society

let's break it down:
what are the core assumptions behind the enneagram?
what are the core assumptions behind MBTI?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
With MBTI, probably the idea that most people seem much like one of the 16 types, with few or none who are in between.
Probably quite central is the idea that person's tertiary or 4th function follows a pattern from 1st and 2nd.

Mole

Permabanned
The core assumption is that, without gathering data, we can intuitively know our personality type, the personality type of our family, our friends, of celebrities and our pets.

It's an intellectual and moral failure to recognise that mbti and astrology are simply to manipulate the vulnerable and the gullible.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The core assumption is that, without gathering data, we can intuitively know our personality type, the personality type of our family, our friends, of celebrities and our pets.

Why do you assume data isn't gathered by people when they type someone? When I type someone, I can always provide an explanation for why I think so. These explanations are based on data, unless you're excluding personal observations as data. Which gives you tenuous ground to stand on, as well.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
W

WALMART

Intuition = big picture thinking

As long as I can break everyone of this misnomer regarding the theory, I will be just alright.

Mole

Permabanned
Why do you assume data isn't gathered by people when they type someone? When I type someone, I can always provide an explanation for why I think so. These explanations are based on data, unless you're excluding personal observations as data. Which gives you tenuous ground to stand on, as well.

There are protocols for collecting scientific data - my guess is that they elude you.

Mole

Permabanned
There is a genuine problem with ignoring the truth value of mbti or astrology. And that is we are primed to ignore the truth value of so many other things. So wish fulfillment, projection, and appearance take the place of truth.

And when we all do this together in one place, it becomes a powerful group delusion.

And so we are primed for group delusion in other areas of life. And we come to need a group delusion to function.

It's like addicts who congregate together to feel it is alright to shoot up; or like anorexics who congregate together to become thinner and thinner.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Devito, where are you?

The central assumption of both systems is that personalities and psychologies are not universal across the human species. There are, however, certain patterns and guidelines that recur. Variation is not entirely infinite.

These patterns and guidelines are not confined to certain ethnic backgrounds or sex organs, and are more widely distributed than that.

It does not appear to assume where this variation comes from, and whether it is nature or nurture.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
That consciousness exists to the degree that cognition is polarised.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
This is why XKeyscore only has a three day buffer. Keep up the good work, gentlemen.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The core assumptions by people too often get extrapolated too far out. They assume too much.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a highly comic way of Judging people!
:truthy:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Intuition = big picture thinking

As long as I can break everyone of this misnomer regarding the theory, I will be just alright.

Besides a big picture is completely contextual and personally relative. I no longer have any idea what the term even means apart from "this person is considering something that is either bigger/smaller than my considerations therefore I/her/him is a big picture thinker at this moment in time".

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Big picture is too vague, and isn't neutral enough.

A better example would be global/universal vs. local/specific. That's how I think of Ne vs. Se. I certainly don't think of it in terms of "smart" vs. "dumb."