• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne-users and Absurdism

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For some reason, every time I think of Extraverted Intuition (Ne), my mind always goes to people devising absurdist scenarios by mixing strange things together, coming up with things such as "vampire unicorns" and "robot ninja dinosaurs" or "nazi pirates". Perhaps this is because all of my friends who utilize Ne as one of their dominant functions have expressed this sort of absurdism themselves.

I myself am mildly amused by trying to imagine such combinations; but through virtue of my more Introverted use of Intuition, my mind usually ends up trying to imagine such ideas in the context of a meaningful plot and story (I think this is because my Introverted Intuition creates little videos or pictures in my mind that capture the essence of the ideas I'm thinking about, which is why I want to go into some form of visual storytelling as a career.)

Do you think such willingness to enjoy and follow through with such ideas an indicator of Ne-usage?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a funny observation. I don't think I come up with things quite like that, but I definitely see how that could be a product of Ne at work. I have been told I make connections between concepts, I guess word combinations wouldn't be excluded from that. For me though, it's usually in the form of a one-liner or...I don't know, longer phrase? I like to find connections to references, either personal experiences (recalling a shared experience in a funny way) or quotes from movies that are connected in a novel way. I think the most unifying concept is that it's best when I'm engaging with others and the energy is moving.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seemed to me as well that Ne users tend to say such things...however its not common for ir to do so. I think Ne is alot more "random" than Ni, though.

S

Stansmith

Ni-imagination is much weirder and out there. Have you ever seen a Stanley Kubrick film?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Define "weird" and "out there".

S

Stansmith

With Ne art, it's like "Bam! Here's something really weird/quirky, Bam! here's another weird quirky thing", while Ni-art is like casually walking inside your house and finding a group of cross-dressing dogs playing poker, and then having to watch them do that for 20 minutes.

Ne-imagination is just ADHD, while Ni-imagination is like schizophrenia or an acid trip to people who don't get it.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni-imagination is much weirder and out there. Have you ever seen a Stanley Kubrick film?

My husband's Ni is more like fantasy or plot-based like [MENTION=15358]Ribonuke[/MENTION] said. He can go off on ideas or stories in ways that blow my mind. So I feel like that's a different kind of "out there" than saying bizarre things loosely related to the situation at hand like I tend toward.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
That could be Ne. Perhaps it's more to do with lesser Ne as influenced by other functions, as in an ESFJ for example.

I also somewhat associate this with Se.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love to imagine things…
I am a creative writer…
I've expirienced some of what you are calling Ni, despite being Ne-Dom.
I'm wondering if it could be Ne and Fi in conjunction, though…

S

Stansmith

Alot of ESxP's fake Ne humor alot nowadays too. It's trendy. Look at the type of humor that's being used in all social media now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With Ne art, it's like "Bam! Here's something really weird/quirky, Bam! here's another weird quirky thing", while Ni-art is like casually walking inside your house and finding a group of cross-dressing dogs playing poker, and then having to watch them do that for 20 minutes.

Posts like these are one reason I still hang out on type forums.

Ne-imagination is just ADHD, while Ni-imagination is like schizophrenia or an acid trip to people who don't get it.

In general, that's not a bad metric.

Considering some of the humor possible, people would rather have it "out there" and far away than "in here" with them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I get told i'm ridiculous, does that make me absurd aswell?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This isn't necessarily function related and probably not Ne or Ni.

But I was at work the other day and my stock manager told my work colleague that a person who he knew, had died while driving his lorry from a heart attack. She also recounted that a friend of hers, a biker, had also died in a crash with a lorry.

I don't know why, but the connection in my mind that perhaps the man who had a heart attack had driven into the man who hit a lorry....really tickled me and made me want to laugh and point this out to the others.

I didn't primarily because I could see the negative consequences of doing so and certainly I intended no disrespect to those who had now lost some friends.

But things like that make me laugh, I find that to be a beauty in personal perspective, that I can laugh at something others would consider socially reprehensible and I feel little to no shame in doing so because of the rationalisation I can use to justify my response. In this case, if my death were to make others laugh I would call it a wonderful gift to leave on.

On the other hand, my normal sense of humour is to either point out some little discrepancy in behaviour or event that makes me chuckle at myself or others based on our species. Or simply to draw random connections together and weave them into something that is usually ridiculous and given a willing audience; can become an entire story based around one piece of information.

I usually take the latter type a bit too far.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol omg this thread deserves a shit-fest of trolling *cof* i mean ne absurdities

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it is the nature of Ne to overlap/put things together... to want to combine ALL THE THINGS. And sometimes humor results.

S

Stansmith

Ni

This is creepy, am I even supposed to be watching this? What does this mean? What kind of opiates is this man taking?

Ne

Quirky stuff there. Quirky stuff here. More quirky stuff.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oooh, I like what everybody's said so far, but Stansmith, you've really given me some gems to ponder about!

Yes, I was almost wondering the same thing! Introverted Intuition is almost like Introverted Feeling in some ways, because it's so visceral and difficult to put into literal words. For instance, as a very young child I remember one time having to choose between wanting to accompany my mom or my dad on their errands, because I knew that if I chose one, then I would hurt the other's feelings. I remember getting a really strong mental vision of what might happen if I split myself in half down the center of my body, so that one half of me could accompany my mom, holding her hand and hopping around on one leg, while the other could do the same with my dad while they each did their separate errands. Hell, the vision had its own orchestrated music accompanying it, something that I remember even to this day; it was a brisk and frenetic piece that kept changing keys and sounded like it would come out of movie like The Great Mouse Detective. Only a few seconds into the visison, I realized that my eyes and ears would be seeing and hearing two separate things at once, and that the situation would be way too overwhelming for me to be able to bear. That vision stuck with me for a long time, and I can't really explain how it's affected the way I view certain concepts, like being in two places at once...but I couldn't have been older that 3 or 4 at the time it happened and I still remember it to this day, so it must have had a profound impact.

Alot of ESxP's fake Ne humor alot nowadays too. It's trendy. Look at the type of humor that's being used in all social media now.

I think you might be right about this one too! Such absurdism seems to be more common on the internet than anywhere else, I've noticed, but TV shows like Adventure Time are starting to pick up on it (but it's always existed even in old Loony Tunes 'toons!)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ni

[video]video of stuff[/video]

This is creepy, am I even supposed to be watching this? What does this mean? What kind of opiates is this man taking?

I've always asked myself the same question w/respect to Stanley Kubrick's films.

i don't get you. but you probably don't get me so its win/win