• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne-users and Absurdism

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it not an Ne thing? :thelook:

I don't know. It got its reputation as being a crazy function for a reason, even if what I've read from Jung were irrelevant and all we had to go on was 'common knowledge'.

Ne is like the consciousness untethered. I don't think many would disagree with that statement. This quality extends into the social realm. It can really act without regard to the systems it's in, and what's weird is that Jung explicity places this quality on Ne and not Se.

Yet Se has the reputation it does...

Like usual in life - Memes 1, Facts 0

I think that [MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION] has the right idea with Ne being global and Se being local. And therein lays the issue both in how they are perceived online and the disconnection with reality. Se is a localised perception function it absorbs the information at hand to help to make a decision. Ne is a global perception function it grabs every pattern it has ever made and tries to apply it to the situation, usually unconsciously. That is the reason Se has the reputation it does because it is so very localised the further away you view it from the more absurd it seems, the more disconnected it is from the events around it. Ne has the opposite effect going on the closer you are to it the more it seems so very strange, but the further away you look at it from the more sense it makes. Which let’s face it creates a strange situation where in reality Se makes perfect sense and Ne is just plain mad, and through the disconnected looking glass that is online communication, the reverse is true.

As for the example about your sister, that was kind of a terrible example of being absurd. I mean if I was to speculate, and make grand assumptions, I would guess that you are from the southern states of America. Somewhere in the Bible Belt, and that the performance had more to do with showing their contempt and anger at the current social and political conventions of the state and area; mainly because chanting the same thing over and over is usually a sign of intense anger.

At the OP, the thing to remember about Ne dominant and auxiliaries is that their absurd statements are often either a metaphor or an analogy for something else it’s a tool for expressing multiple points of view and layered meaning as succinctly as possible.

W

WALMART

The keyword in your post is reputation ;).

I think you're focusing too much on theory and too little on actual people. Your information on Ne is spot on, but nobody is a cognitive function, no matter how often we use it.

I'm an ENFP with high social skills, and one who hates rudeness and attention whoring even in the slightest way. But two out of four ESFPs I now and one ESTP fit the description you posted.

Dealing with real life examples of personality types definitely shows Jung was right in telling people to not take his theories too seriously :)

Telling an introverted thinker not to take a theory seriously is telling a rainbow not to shine.

I look at Ne as being global, and Se as being local. Maybe you consider that to be reiterating the "big picture" thing you so despise, but wouldn' t you agree that Ne seems less "in the moment"? I think Ne seems random because it's less confined to the immediate environment.

Se is to monk as Ne is to politician. Take that as you may.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Telling an introverted thinker not to take a theory seriously is telling a rainbow not to shine.

ARe you calling Ne monk-like? Because Se isn't. Se doms aren't at any rate. Se doms, like Bill Clinton, would make better politicians.

W

WALMART

ARe you calling Ne monk-like? Because Se isn't. Se doms aren't at any rate. Se doms, like Bill Clinton, would make better politicians.

Of Ne:

"Merchants, contractors, speculators, agents, politicians, etc., commonly belong to this type."

Jung doesn't state who would make a better politician. It states the type of character who makes up politicians. This is chiefly the extroverted intuition type, the more "externally motivated" of the two intuitors, hence their status as politicians vs. prophets.

Of Se:

"The specially compulsive character of the neurotic symptoms represent the unconscious counterweight to the laisser aller morality of a purely sensational attitude, which, from the standpoint of rational judgment, accepts without discrimination, everything that happens."

Particularly the latter.

I will be back to address your post and supply more general thinking, Dr Mobius.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought it was a trap for some reason, ha.

Of Ne:

"Merchants, contractors, speculators, agents, politicians, etc., commonly belong to this type."

Jung doesn't state who would make a better politician. It states the type of character who makes up politicians. This is chiefly the extroverted intuition type, the more "externally motivated" of the two intuitors, hence their status as politicians vs. prophets.

What aspect of a politican is most relevant to Ne? Someone who shapes or create reality? Or someone who shifts between identities, always juggling them? Or as tricksters?

"The specially compulsive character of the neurotic symptoms represent the unconscious counterweight to the laisser aller morality of a purely sensational attitude, which, from the standpoint of rational judgment, accepts without discrimination, everything that happens."

You should have qualified that by saying a Buddhist monk. I thought you were referring to the tendency of monks, Christian or Buddhist, to kind of detach or retreat from the world. I also thought you were trying to test me, for some reason. I suppose I did this because I was confused. That comparison of Se as monk like did not make sense to me at all from the lens I was using. So I figured that you were trying to test me to see how much I knew. I suppose I failed.

Thus matching up with what you said earlier about being disconnected. Really, I didn't realize that what you mean by "monk" is a Zen like attitude of accepting everything that happens. That is somewhat Se like, I would agree.

S

Society

Jung doesn't state who would make a better politician. It states the type of character who makes up politicians.

that's sort of funny, didn't he type himself as Ni dom? considering he was the chairman of the international psychoanalytical association in zurich... does that not count as a politics?

but are the successful politicians of the beginning of 20th century switzerland the same as end of the 20th century america?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's sort of funny, didn't he type himself as Ni dom? considering he was the chairman of the international psychoanalytical association in zurich... does that not count as a politics?

but are the successful politicians of the beginning of 20th century switzerland the same as end of the 20th century america?

Excellent point. This had occurred to me, but for some reason I didn't bring it up. I don't know enough about ancient Switzerland to answer, but it would be worth looking into.

I think the role of television vs. radio and newspapers should not be overlooked. Perhaps the internet will change which politicians are successful yet again. (This is starting to sound like a Mole post. )

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

There's where we Ne driven differ from you Ni driven folks. We do love theories, we even make our own, but nothing is sacred or has to be proven and set on stone. It's mostly about having fun with the possibilities, not needing to nail people down to something.

Let's agree to disagree, I seriously detest these kind of titles when related to MBTI.

W

WALMART

I thought it was a trap for some reason, ha.

What aspect of a politican is most relevant to Ne? Someone who shapes or create reality? Or someone who shifts between identities, always juggling them? Or as tricksters?

Well, look at the group in wider context. Merchants, contractors, speculators, agents. What do all these types have in common?

I would think "propagators" to be a fine term, and I'm interested to know what you can come up with.

You should have qualified that by saying a Buddhist monk. I thought you were referring to the tendency of monks, Christian or Buddhist, to kind of detach or retreat from the world. I also thought you were trying to test me, for some reason. I suppose I did this because I was confused. That comparison of Se as monk like did not make sense to me at all from the lens I was using. So I figured that you were trying to test me to see how much I knew. I suppose I failed.

Thus matching up with what you said earlier about being disconnected. Really, I didn't realize that what you mean by "monk" is a Zen like attitude of accepting everything that happens. That is somewhat Se like, I would agree.

Nah, I don't really test. What you see is what you get.

Monk - A member of a religious community of men typically living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

"This need not be in any way a pleasurable reinforcement, since this type is not a common voluptuary; he merely desires the strongest sensation, and this, by his very nature, he can receive only from without." - Jung

An example of Se, here is a quote from Pi filmmaker Darren Aronofsky:

"I walked out of The Matrix ... and I was thinking, 'What kind of science fiction movie can people make now?"

It was as if he at once recognized he encountered a once in a life time sensory experience, an entire culmination of perfect storytelling and execution only done a small handful of times every generation. This is what Se strives for: powerful, meaningful experience - to really bond with the universe.

Ne... Ne is something different. Maybe it is a self-contained bundle of satisfaction, which is kinda what I was getting at the beginning of my participation in this thread.

Furthermore, nothing Jung writes precludes an abnormal "presence" in reality. It is all abstractly written and conceptualized, nothing going so far as to explicitly entail Se "doesn't lose its keys, its lunch, or why it drove fifteen miles with its emergency break on".

About an hour ago I poured flour into my Kool-Aid, thinking it was sugar. Am I any less "Se" for such occurrences? My studies point to naught.

I think the very act of politicking itself has gone unchanged since its inception: convincing a group of people you know what will objectively satisfy their conditional interests with the greatest propensity.

As for Jung's type, again, prophets and politicians aren't so far off - presuming he did type himself Ni. I know I've read it (and heard it repeated) that he identified with sensing more in his older age. But I wouldn't quote myself on it. I read this many moons ago, and haven't been able to find it since.

There's where we Ne driven differ from you Ni driven folks. We do love theories, we even make our own, but nothing is sacred or has to be proven and set on stone. It's mostly about having fun with the possibilities, not needing to nail people down to something.

Let's agree to disagree, I seriously detest these kind of titles when related to MBTI.

Okay.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it's actually mean to be Absurdity. Personally, I had no knowledge of the philosophical implications of the term. :huh:

Oh, oops, my bad. ^^;; Yeah, I didn't mean in the context of philosophy; I was just using it as a way to try to explain the type of humor I was talking about.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a funny observation. I don't think I come up with things quite like that, but I definitely see how that could be a product of Ne at work. I have been told I make connections between concepts, I guess word combinations wouldn't be excluded from that. For me though, it's usually in the form of a one-liner or...I don't know, longer phrase? I like to find connections to references, either personal experiences (recalling a shared experience in a funny way) or quotes from movies that are connected in a novel way. I think the most unifying concept is that it's best when I'm engaging with others and the energy is moving.

Yeah me too... I'm not ne in that way. Tho I've seen it and get it. It's just rarely how mine comes out.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With Ne art, it's like "Bam! Here's something really weird/quirky, Bam! here's another weird quirky thing", while Ni-art is like casually walking inside your house and finding a group of cross-dressing dogs playing poker, and then having to watch them do that for 20 minutes.

Ne-imagination is just ADHD, while Ni-imagination is like schizophrenia or an acid trip to people who don't get it.

Ahh yes. I fully have both going on in my head.

S

Society

I think the very act of politicking itself has gone unchanged since its inception: convincing a group of people you know what will objectively satisfy their conditional interests with the greatest propensity.

but we aren't talking about the objective one desires - we're talking about the mental tools to achieve it: more localized information distribution systems can give an Ne dom a level of freedom to think of the right solutions and promises for the people he's speaking too, even if conflicting with larger value schemes, while more centralized media might push into being judged on one's consistency, which Ne doms aren't known for.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some reason, every time I think of Extraverted Intuition (Ne), my mind always goes to people devising absurdist scenarios by mixing strange things together, coming up with things such as "vampire unicorns" and "robot ninja dinosaurs" or "nazi pirates". Perhaps this is because all of my friends who utilize Ne as one of their dominant functions have expressed this sort of absurdism themselves.

I myself am mildly amused by trying to imagine such combinations; but through virtue of my more Introverted use of Intuition, my mind usually ends up trying to imagine such ideas in the context of a meaningful plot and story (I think this is because my Introverted Intuition creates little videos or pictures in my mind that capture the essence of the ideas I'm thinking about, which is why I want to go into some form of visual storytelling as a career.)

Do you think such willingness to enjoy and follow through with such ideas an indicator of Ne-usage?

It's something i really enjoy watching, i understand it well and can play the game, especially with another person bouncing random but it's not a default setting of mine. Actually it's something I notice far more frequently in persons who use Ne as s second function... INFP and INTP.

But anyway... heres a fun clip ... it fits the bill.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that [MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION] has the right idea with Ne being global and Se being local. And therein lays the issue both in how they are perceived online and the disconnection with reality. Se is a localised perception function it absorbs the information at hand to help to make a decision. Ne is a global perception function it grabs every pattern it has ever made and tries to apply it to the situation, usually unconsciously. That is the reason Se has the reputation it does because it is so very localised the further away you view it from the more absurd it seems, the more disconnected it is from the events around it. Ne has the opposite effect going on the closer you are to it the more it seems so very strange, but the further away you look at it from the more sense it makes. Which let’s face it creates a strange situation where in reality Se makes perfect sense and Ne is just plain mad, and through the disconnected looking glass that is online communication, the reverse is true.

As for the example about your sister, that was kind of a terrible example of being absurd. I mean if I was to speculate, and make grand assumptions, I would guess that you are from the southern states of America. Somewhere in the Bible Belt, and that the performance had more to do with showing their contempt and anger at the current social and political conventions of the state and area; mainly because chanting the same thing over and over is usually a sign of intense anger.

At the OP, the thing to remember about Ne dominant and auxiliaries is that their absurd statements are often either a metaphor or an analogy for something else it’s a tool for expressing multiple points of view and layered meaning as succinctly as possible.
Right yes exactly just a teenage girl being all random silly with a friend. Not an indicator of ne

Ne is more likely to show itself in Conversation as a random at first comment that people are like wtf!? Where the hell did that come from!? And then... Oh... Actually that's fucking spot on! Or that's fucking hilariously accurate omg did you actually just say that!?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

As a supposed extroverted intuitive dominant user. I find that absurdism isn't correlated simply with dominant usage, but also with the opposite extreme and I think that the absurdism does only indicate Ne-istic tendencies and I would actually believe that frequency of the absurdism is more connected with the place within the system it occupies.

I hold the belief that Ne dominants have a more refined approach to the absurdism and though the association in question aren't always correct, they are done with more precision.

*after actually reading the OP*

Yeah, I think my post is still relevant.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1151068_432080203572481_1479262972_n.jpg