• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type an IQ... Again!

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
So apart from the relatively bland studies avaliable on the net (which don't even seem to use standard IQ) does anybody have any info on this?

I came across an article recently that concluded that the traits correlated with high IQ are Introversion, Intuition, Thinking and Judging.

It also stated that INTJs had the highest IQ on average, closely followed by INTPs, INFJs and INFPs.

This seems to correspond well to my impression of reality.

It also corresponds nicely to my impression that while ENTPs are smart on average, ENTPs in the top 2% of the IQ scale are very rare.

---

Any thoughts on eigther or both?

EDIT: Ok, so I left out a 'd' in the thread title. Very ironic when discussing IQ. But you can't blame me! I've pulled an all nighter chatting with Bluewing. Admins please fix it if possible.

...ang good niglt! ;)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Let's discuss how one appraises IQ in the first place.

A may be inherently smarter and more talented than B at spotting patterns.... but A's less hard-working... and B has spent one year working on logic problems and training for the LSAT and MENSA tests...

A and B are both sitting for an IQ test which relies heavily on those abstract pattern recognition problems (which are thought to greatly reduce cultural bias, but more on that later)... because A's a lazy asshole, he comes out with a whopping 110 while B stuns everyone with 144.

Who's got the higher IQ?

As for culture bias, there may be people who are super-smart but don't think the way conventional scientists expect them to think.

For instance:

Q) Pick the odd one out in the following group of animals;

Elephant, Monkey, Snake, Rat, Koala

a) Elephant

b) Monkey

c) Snake

d) Rat

e) Koala

I could choose:

a) Elephant because of its elongated proboscis.

b) Monkey because it's the only animal of the five which exhibits the use of tools.

c) Snake: It's a 'reptile' (lays eggs, etc.) and doesn't have 'feet' per se. It's also the only obligate carnivore of the group.

d) Rat: Rats are the only animals of the five which use their whiskers as extra-sensory tools. They're also the only animal of the five with a representative mutant in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show.

e) Koala: only animal of the five which carries its young in a pouch (it's a marsupial) <-- problem of greater uniqueness versus snake... so in this case, snake wins... but still...

Who's to say that the snake, which is typically the obvious answer, is the best one? Are we simply to go on stacking which animal's got 'more' differences? How would you ever find out? The possible lists are endless... Besides, who's to say that greater intelligence may not lie in the road less traveled by?

The whole point is... how does one determine intelligence?

My bet is that introverted types tend to be higher up on the (highly problematic) IQ scale because they tend to be more focused and thus concentrate more on building problem-solving skills in mathematics, etc. than highly excitable types like ENTPs and ESFPs. But that doesn't mean they're more 'intelligent', whatever that means.

MBTI Type
ENTP
My apparent dislike of the IQ test can be derived from my experience with it...

I have gotten two official test scores, 122 and 154 (there was a four-year gap, the higher score came later)... on the internet my scores have ranged from something like 104 to 144!

You might as well judge people's intelligence based on the sum total of their standardized testing scores.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
I agree that IQ is flawed in oh-so-many ways.

None the less, there are also some very telling correlations

Take, for instance, the world's leading academic mathematicians.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, there's a very simple explanation for why INTJs tend to score high on IQ:

They tend to be very good test takers.

Introversion and intuition give all these types the attention span and ability for pattern recognition that the test is asking for, but why the order? INTJs tend to have a very strong feeling that they're 'right' when taking tests so they go with their first instinct and move on, without looking back -- which has been shown by studies to yield a higher score than if you were to deliberate a lot over the answer (like an NP would). Also, Ni+Te would be cockier than Ni+Fe if it believes it knows the answer.

So, you know, with INTJs, if one of them comes around with a high IQ, you can say, "Damn, you're a good test taker!" That's one of the reasons why INTJs tend to have some of the highest grades in school, too. It doesn't have much to do with their actual intelligence than their testing style.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Aren't ESFJs supposed to be amongst the least likely to have very high IQ's?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
As for culture bias, there may be people who are super-smart but don't think the way conventional scientists expect them to think.

For instance:

Q) Pick the odd one out in the following group of animals;

Elephant, Monkey, Snake, Rat, Koala

a) Elephant

b) Monkey

c) Snake

d) Rat

e) Koala

I could choose:

a) Elephant because of its elongated proboscis.

b) Monkey because it's the only animal of the five which exhibits the use of tools.

c) Snake: It's a 'reptile' (lays eggs, etc.) and doesn't have 'feet' per se. It's also the only obligate carnivore of the group.

d) Rat: Rats are the only animals of the five which use their whiskers as extra-sensory tools. They're also the only animal of the five with a representative mutant in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show.

e) Koala: only animal of the five which carries its young in a pouch (it's a marsupial) <-- problem of greater uniqueness versus snake... so in this case, snake wins... but still...

Who's to say that the snake, which is typically the obvious answer, is the best one? Are we simply to go on stacking which animal's got 'more' differences? How would you ever find out? The possible lists are endless... Besides, who's to say that greater intelligence may not lie in the road less traveled by?

The whole point is... how does one determine intelligence?

My bet is that introverted types tend to be higher up on the (highly problematic) IQ scale because they tend to be more focused and thus concentrate more on building problem-solving skills in mathematics, etc. than highly excitable types like ENTPs and ESFPs. But that doesn't mean they're more 'intelligent', whatever that means.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. This is a problem I have had with tests in school for ages.. I would over-think the question, and rule out the obvious answer in favor of another. It's not that I didn't think the obvious answer was correct, but I would find connections between the question and other answers as well.. And it became a matter of.. "what are they really asking here?" It's just fucked. That's why math is enjoyable.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Listen to Sam De Maz.

Intelligence is impossibly subjective.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I went to a private school where you needed an IQ of 135 to get in.
Trust me!
There were more SJ's and SP's than NT's and NF's.
If you went to the school I went, you would agree there were a good number of people who were very much Sensor-types, even in terms of the stereotypical descriptions of Guardians and Artisans.
However, it was probably 40% N, 60% S.. which is unusually high.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You give me a hideous idea, Mondo...

Has anyone ever had an IQ test? If so, what were the results...?

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree that IQ is flawed in oh-so-many ways.

None the less, there are also some very telling correlations

Take, for instance, the world's leading academic mathematicians.

Well... obviously... right? Mathematicians have drilled themselves into doing complex logic problems... I guarantee you I'll pump up my IQ score by at least five or ten, maybe fifteen points if I get a PhD... I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher.

(though I would cry every step of the way till my dissertation)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, there's a very simple explanation for why INTJs tend to score high on IQ:

They tend to be very good test takers.

Introversion and intuition give all these types the attention span and ability for pattern recognition that the test is asking for, but why the order? INTJs tend to have a very strong feeling that they're 'right' when taking tests so they go with their first instinct and move on, without looking back -- which has been shown by studies to yield a higher score than if you were to deliberate a lot over the answer (like an NP would). Also, Ni+Te would be cockier than Ni+Fe if it believes it knows the answer.

So, you know, with INTJs, if one of them comes around with a high IQ, you can say, "Damn, you're a good test taker!" That's one of the reasons why INTJs tend to have some of the highest grades in school, too. It doesn't have much to do with their actual intelligence than their testing style.

I had very high test scores in school and always finished first... I think a lot of what you're saying is absolutely on the ball (as far as typing can be), but I have a lot of faith in the power of ambition.

I hated math so I abandoned it after high school... five years later, I'm studying it again... math is so bad, it's good.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I hated math so I abandoned it after high school... five years later, I'm studying it again... math is so bad, it's good.

Wait till you discard Euclidean limits and move into free-range, vectorless matrices.

Knock you on your ass, man. Math is great.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wait till you discard Euclidean limits and move into free-range, vectorless matrices.

Knock you on your ass, man. Math is great.

I'm very excited about eventually moving onto geometry Riemann style... but I'm really into math for the chaos theory and combinatorics... probability and what not. OOoOOohh... and Set Theory... that, to me, is a very sexy sub-discipline in mathematics.

Night: you out of college yet?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I'm very excited about eventually moving onto geometry Riemann style... but I'm really into math for the chaos theory and combinatorics... probability and what not. OOoOOohh... and Set Theory... that, to me, is a very sexy sub-discipline in mathematics.

Combinatorial math is boundless.

Chaos Theory and Quantum Field are great unifying agents. Have you studied either yet?

Edit - yes: I've been out of undergrad/grad college for a few years, now. I teach.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Combinatorial math is boundless.

Chaos Theory and Quantum Field are great unifying agents. Have you studied either yet?

Edit - yes: I've been out of undergrad/grad college for a few years, now. I teach.

Oh shit! We need to talk... but no... I'm an absolute neophyte...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You give me a hideous idea, Mondo...

Has anyone ever had an IQ test? If so, what were the results...?

whatever that means

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Amongst the "gifted" population, ENFP's are the most prevalent type represented.

At 15.45%

Cerebrals Board • View topic - Characteristics and Behaviors of Gifted Women

SENG: Articles & Resources - Gifted kids at risk: Who's listening?

Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

Which means.....

That we rock, and that all y'all are stewpid!!!!

:tongue10: