• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni doms being stuck in routines

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ive noticed, a lot of ni doms seem to get stuck in routines which seem productive to the mind, but actually just boggle our minds with endless non-productive thoughts.

like, there was this intj who used all his time to read science. (anywhere he went, he would constantly look around like a hawk for any text written anywhere just to learn from it, lols. and when he found something to read, he was totally absorbed into his own universe, his eyes sparkling with that Ni dom mysticism.)

and ive had numerous different routines in my past that ive got stuck to.
my first one was game addiction. (years 8 to 16)
then i had a one year without routines.
and after that, ive since been stuck on psychology routine, that i just endlessly ponder about psychology.

the common theme to my routines is, that i have a feeling of urgency, that i must focus all my attention into achieving something. like in games it was about being in the top. in psychology its about understanding humans thoroughly.

even when i take breaks to read fiction, i find it very hard to forget the "productive" thoughts and focus on reading. i also fear imagining things because i might misinterpret something differently than it was intended by the writer.. *rolls eyes*
that also manifests in me not trying to analyze the posts of other fellas cause i might interprete something wrong.

anyone else has experience with Ni doms and this tendency, or being that way yourself?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I dabble in different interests. I'll be on one kick for awhile until I feel like I've gotten a basic competence or I lose interest. I was addicted to WoW for a year or two. I play off and on now, but not obsessively. Politics and genre fiction are probably my two constants, though I'm also interested in the social sciences pretty consistently. If I am not having to converse with someone or doing something that requires concentration, I am usually wearing my headphones listening to an audio book.

I'm not particularly achievement oriented most of the time. I mean, I do like to try to perfect a system or at least work on it until I feel satisfied with the results. Efficiency is important to me: I am lazy and if I'm going to do a task, I want it to be done as quickly, easily, and well as possible. Not with everything, but with a lot of things.

Probably the most unproductive thoughts I indulge in are when I obsess over someone speaking or thinking (by my perception) ill of me. I can go on about a stupid comment someone made to or about me for days. It's one of the things that annoys me the most about me.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get stuck playing the same videogames and listening to the same songs over and over again. xD;;

Most of the time I get stuck in such routines because it limits the amount of new sensory information I receive, and thus allows me to feel like I'm busy "doing" something that takes minimal effort; this is so that my Introverted Intuition can be allowed to take over. I *hate* it whenever something 'new' interrupts my subconscious thinking.

Then again, I have Aspergers, so that means I'm already prone to getting stuck on things in the first place. xD;;