• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I even an ENFP?

S

Stansmith

I'm a huge prude. Whenever I walk into a new classroom, I have practically no interest in chatting with anyone unless I find them physically attractive. I've never been a "leader", a "bro" or "the life of the party" either, I've always been an independent behind the scenes person. I could never relate to this description of ENFPs as these "bright" social butterflies who engage everybody, I'm only like that sometimes, in which case I only engage people I find interesting. I'm not an active engager or initiator when in big groups, I'm mainly observant and behind the scenes (like most introverts, but it could be E6-cautiousness) when thing's are boring, and then loosen up once the fun's begun. I have very few deep relationships (wish I had more) and have maybe have 2 people that text me consistently. In highschool absolutely noone would see me as an extrovert except for a few people. I had a few friends that I drove absolutely crazy and would NOT leave alone, but to everyone else I was the ultimate introvert (I was very socially anxious at the time).

The one thing that I feel makes me an ENFP is that I have the mind of a hedonist; I make crude jokes, I like random hook ups, I like violent popcorn movies, everything I think about and enjoy is surface-value stuff and how they relate to one another. I barely think about morality or feely stuff and I'm pretty uncomfortable dwelling deep into my emotions and kind of find the topic cringe-worthy most of the time. Also, when around any introverts or someone I really like, I'm an absolute nut who dominates conversation. I can even dominate conversation when talking to my ESTP friend and make him laugh every 2 seconds, but a random ESTP I barely know? Hell no.

I tend to withdraw alot (I go straight home after school ends most of the time) and can maybe handle 2 hours of boring socializing tops. If I'm having lots of fun though, I'll hang around all day.

I'm either really gentle, sad-looking and soft-spoken, or really brash, boy-ish and slightly bubbly (more domineering and virile around people I'm comfortable with). I'm confusing as sh-t. I also have an easier time connection with girls and intuitive/feeler/light-hearted guys than serious earthy macho dudes.

So what do you think I'm an ENFP, or a sociable INFP?

R

Riva

Sure you are so/sx? Some other iv would explain things. Anyway i'm selecting infp over enfp.

Starry

The first hit I got from you I thought you were an ISTP. Why do you think you are an ENFP?

The one thing that I feel makes me an ENFP is that I have the mind of a hedonist; I make crude jokes, I like random hook ups, I like violent popcorn movies, everything I think about and enjoy is surface-value stuff.

What?

S

Stansmith

Sure you are so/sx? Some other iv would explain things. Anyway i'm selecting infp over enfp.

I have slightly hypomanic moods where I act like a psuedo-sxdom but the pervasive pattern in my behavior is more so/sx.

Also, if it helps on average I'd say I'm more extroverted than these types:

All introverts
ESTJ
Some ENFJs

S

Stansmith

The first hit I got from you I thought you were an ISTP. Why do you think you are an ENFP?

What?

Nah, ISTPs find me annoying :D

Ne is about making connections between things in your external environment, which is what I do. Ne really isn't as "deep" of a function as people paint it to be.

R

Riva

^ estjs and enfjs are extremely extroverted in my opinion. So in that case you probably are an extrovert.

S

Stansmith

^ estjs and enfjs are extremely extroverted in my opinion. So in that case you probably are an extrovert.

I might be confusing the ISTJs for ESTJs then. I'll probably have to scratch ENFJ actually since the ENFJ I know may have a calmer non-overbearing presence, but he's practically always socializing. My extroverted moods are more extreme, but much shorter than his.

Starry

Nah, ISTPs find me annoying :D

Ne is about making connections between things in your external environment, which is what I do. Ne really isn't as "deep" of a function as people paint it to be.

Yah but...but...ENFPs... Well, so this is what I've been told and...so who knows how credible this information is (basically don't 'quote me on it' if you know what I'm saying)...But apparently ENFPs use other cognitive functions as well...not just Ne for making non-deep connections in the external environment. Who knew right? Oh...and it gets even weirder. I guess there are other MBTI types that use Ne as well. Typology. It's a real mind-fuck.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I make crude jokes, I like random hook ups, I like violent popcorn movies, everything I think about and enjoy is surface-value stuff and how they relate to one another. I barely think about morality or feely stuff and I'm pretty uncomfortable dwelling deep into my emotions and kind of find the topic cringe-worthy most of the time.

This doesn't sound NFP at all. :shrug: I would have pegged you as ISTP like [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] said. How is this "surface-value stuff" relating to Ne when all you're doing is engaging in it? From what you've said it sounds like you didn't have any possibilities in mind when you did it. How Ne works for me is like I see something and then BOOM a huge explosion of ideas pop up in my mind. I think someone once described Ne like a supernova in that sense. If you're looking for how things are related to each other physically then I wouldn't necessarily say you were NeFi. Where's the interpretation? Where's the hidden meaning? I couldn't imagine living my life like you described above without looking for some greater idea to pull from it. Except the crude jokes, since I can make those at times too. Even with random hook ups, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some ideas in mind of my relationship with that person going places. That's what the hook up is for in the first place - exploring my options.

But what really makes me go ???????? about your self-typing as ENFP is how uncomfortable you are with your emotions. NFPs are usually acutely emotionally aware of themselves. Even if we don't express it, we always know what's going down on the inside and we're not afraid to dive deep into our emotions. You do not seem like an ENFP, my friend.

S

Stansmith

This doesn't sound NFP at all. :shrug: I would have pegged you as ISTP like [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] said. How is this "surface-value stuff" relating to Ne when all you're doing is engaging in it? From what you've said it sounds like you didn't have any possibilities in mind when you did it. How Ne works for me is like I see something and then BOOM a huge explosion of ideas pop up in my mind. I think someone once described Ne like a supernova in that sense. If you're looking for how things are related to each other physically then I wouldn't necessarily say you were NeFi. Where's the interpretation? Where's the hidden meaning? I couldn't imagine living my life like you described above without looking for some greater idea to pull from it. Except the crude jokes, since I can make those at times too. Even with random hook ups, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some ideas in mind of my relationship with that person going places. That's what the hook up is for in the first place - exploring my options.

But what really makes me go ???????? about your self-typing as ENFP is how uncomfortable you are with your emotions. NFPs are usually acutely emotionally aware of themselves. Even if we don't express it, we always know what's going down on the inside and we're not afraid to dive deep into our emotions. You do not seem like an ENFP, my friend.

That's exactly how I work. I was trying to convey that I'm more interested in ideas and the many quirks of the world/humanity than feelings or values. I honestly feel like im either very out of touch with my Fi, or have very unhealthy Fi. This description of an unhealthy ENFP sounds like me honestly:

Stage Ten: Complete personality turnaround, the ENFP will have lost it, or will have appeared to. Complete emotional instability and recklessness. They will be completely and utterly impulsive to the point of stupidity. They will not care about their well being or anybody else's. At this pion, the ENFP will be so far in their heads it will be nearly impossible to get through to them unless you sink to his or her own level of insanity and instability. They will have given up on life altogether, and will most likely have forgotten what it was like to really feel alive and well again.

I've probably been stage 5-10 ever since I was 13.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's exactly how I work. I was trying to convey that I'm more interested in ideas and the many quirks of the world/humanity than feelings or values. I honestly feel like im either very out of touch with my Fi, or have very unhealthy Fi. This description of an unhealthy ENFP sounds like me honestly:

But with that explosion of thoughts, do you strip away the details of an object to get to its "core" or do you elaborate on its details? Because the former is more of an Ne thing and the latter is more Se. But if you resonate with that description of an ENFP I guess that could reassure you of your typing then. :shrug: Dunno, it's up to you. I really didn't relate to the first post but you seem to be in a stage of poor mental health (from the description you posted) so that could be why. Speaking of that, hope things get better for ya. :hug:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's exactly how I work. I was trying to convey that I'm more interested in ideas and the many quirks of the world/humanity than feelings or values.

Hm.

What Chanaynay pointed out that's curious for an ENFP is that you're not seeming to feel much connection between Ne and Fi - for an ENFP that supernova would typically be laced with all sorts of heartstring-pulling elements, shimmering and beautiful and deep. We feel "depth" in the way that everything is constantly being pulled into the greater, truer context - we seek the "hidden" meaning because it is the most direct pathway to the grand unity, which contains the ultimate depth.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's early and i barely slept and have not had coffee :(

but yeah no....none of that sounds very enfp to me at all...we don't just connect concrete external stuff. like was already mentioned...the main defining characteristic i'd say is how we are constantly seeking to understand the complexities of the universe and the people that reside here....everything means something and it's fascinating and each new thing you learn brings more interesting questions...it's a cycle that's ever spinning...the amazingness that is life..

I

Infinite Bubble

Well, it's obvious that you aren't an ENFP. In fact, STP is extremely blatant.

I'll say ESTP just because the vibes you're giving off fit that more than ISTP. Social extroversion != cognitive extroversion. I can imagine you as a 6w7 Sx/Sp or Sp/Sx; those combinations would lead to being a quieter ESTP.

Of course, this is only based on what I've read from you so far. Perhaps you might want to fill out a questionnaire from Personality Cafe for a more thorough typing.

Oh, and one more thing, Se and Ne are very similar to each other. They are often confused. They both explore the environment for perceiving new information, on the fly. But Se looks at the details and properties of the physical object being perceived in the environment, and focuses on that. Ne ignores the actual object at hand and focuses on the underlying themes that can be taken from it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I feel good, I have "supernovas," and get quite energized and excited by them. An insight feels good to me. I enjoy talking to people about the world's great mysteries…

It feels like that dynamo is running out of steam, though…

Starry

I've probably been stage 5-10 ever since I was 13.

Stansmith, never having heard of any published work on the 'Stages of Depression' in reference to MBTI types, in this case ENFP, wasn't what called into question the 'Stage Ten' description of ENFP disintegration you included in this post. It was the way the description was written, how the author phrased each sentence...that immediately made it known to me that this was not even remotely the work of a professional or an expert in the field of MBTI.

I'm just here to tell you that you absolutely haven't been in any professionally recognized stage of ENFP depression since the age of 13... You've been in 'Viktoria's' personal and clearly non-professional interpretation of the stages ENFPs go through when they descend into states of poor mental health.

And Vikrotia is a retired INFJ Personality Cafe forum member. That is all she is. (well, and I get the sense she has been hurt by an ENFP.)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know that under the influence of my ADHD drugs, my E/I goes to 50/50 preference and my T/F goes to about 50/50. My N stays strong and my P stays very strong (95%), though. I notice that my natural self also has strong (90%) E and moderate (70%) F, though…

The drugs make me feel all loopy, too.

S

Stansmith

My ENFP traits

-Im more comfortable talking about random Ne things and ideas than my own feelings. Although in highschool I used to let everyone know how sh-tty I felt in a funny, melodramatic "why me!" way and bombarded acquantinces with texts. If a girl rejected me, everyone had to know about it.

-I desire a vibrant social life filled with a variety of people I find interesting, stimulating and fun

-I feel VERY uneasy with spending more than 2 days in isolation, despite how painfully common it is for me

-I joke alot and can come off as brash or douchey (in a fun way). I can hurt people's feelings when not careful.

-I'm usually quite overbearing when around introverts, most of my introverted friends have found me overwhelming and I kind of find it frustrating when they don't match my energy levels

-I'm probably the most vocal person in all of my classes

-My views on social issues can be pretty pragmatic and Te-like. I'm a results-oriented person when it comes to any political issue.

-I think my natural personality is very ExxP, but issues of insecurity and anxiety make me more withdrawn

-Im not very "poetic" about the way I express my feelings and emotions. I feel like an INFP would say something like "I feel such a huge gaping hole in my heart, I don't know if I can go on", while I'm more likely to say something like "Everyone hates me, I just wanna stop being a b-tch n-gga"

-I don't want my life to be peaceful and calm, I want it to be fast-paced, exciting, and full of novelty and positive vibes.

My INFP traits

-I withdraw from social situations when feeling anxious or overwhelmed

-I get stuck in my head alot

-I'm socially awkward

-I find it hard to ignore negative feelings and being active about making a change

-I come off as aloof, unapproachable and "bougie" in a group setting. I'm usually most engaging in groups of 5 or 6 tops.

-Im not a natural leader

-I'm cynical and not as consistently cheery as most ENFPs seem to be. I'm openly cheery maybe 30%-35% of the time

-I barely initiate conversation with strangers unless its a girl I like

-I sometimes avoid social interaction out of fear, even though I crave it desperately

-I'm a very "keep your distance" person, although I think that's more of a reaction to being disappointed/hurt in the past

-I often times look sad and have insecure body language

-I tend to sit at the side of the room

S

Stansmith

I relate alot to Charlie from Its Always Sunny, who's probably an ENFP 6 when I used to openly express my feelings: