• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has anyone noticed ENFP's acting like ISTJ's, and ISTJ's acting like ENFP's.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what type is your mother?

I'm not 100% sure, but after something similar to a game of "20 questions," I got ESFJ, maybe ESTJ…

She spends a lot of time alone, though. She is kind of a workaholic, and she says that she does all of it to pay the bills and keep us able to do things.

I can tell she cares about me, but she says that I'm not going to make money doing things I enjoy.

I think she also acts more like an S around me. My grandmother and people that know her would pin her down as ENFJ.

All I can say for certain is ExxJ.

She thinks that asking questions all the time is annoying, too.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not 100% sure, but after something similar to a game of "20 questions," I got ESFJ, maybe ESTJ…

She spends a lot of time alone, though. She is kind of a workaholic, and she says that she does all of it to pay the bills and keep us able to do things.

I can tell she cares about me, but she says that I'm not going to make money doing things I enjoy.

I think she also acts more like an S around me. My grandmother and people that know her would pin her down as ENFJ.

All I can say for certain is ExxJ.

She thinks that asking questions all the time is annoying, too.

oh okay...my impression of sj's is that they just see theres a right way to do things and get frustrated when others don't seem to "get it"

they're sort of right...in the way that most people are sj's... so out in the real world...majority seems to rule or whatever

but...not all of us are content to live that way and i wish they would look past their own ego to see that.

not that i'm not highly impressed by their ability to plow through and do what needs to be done at all times.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh okay...my impression of sj's is that they just see theres a right way to do things and get frustrated when others don't seem to "get it"

they're sort of right...in the way that most people are sj's... so out in the real world...majority seems to rule or whatever

but...not all of us are content to live that way and i wish they would look past their own ego to see that.

not that i'm not highly impressed by their ability to plow through and do what needs to be done at all times.

She is very particular about how I do things. Auxillary Si just doesn't quite fit her, though…

She comes of to me as some sort of ENFJ/ESFJ hybrid.

All I know is that the pool is to be cleaned the way she does it, and the way most people do things, that is the right way. I hear she was a bit of a tomboy when she was growing up, but she "got" it when she got to be a teenager.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENFPs and ISTJs have the same functions ordered differently, so there is a little ISTJ in every ENFP and a little ENFP in every ISTJ.

In socionics the Si,Te and Ne,Fi types (SLI and IEE) are called dual personalities. In MBTI this is ENFP and ISTJ.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having grown up in a house with three TJs, my ENFP sis has pretty well developed Te. It manifest in these utterly absurd ways. She will methodically and meticulously plot out these courses to these fantastically Ne-Fi goals. The scariest part is the regularity with which she accomplishes them. She's like the Daywalker or something.

Case in point: her three year plan to literally become a Disney Princess at Disneyworld. Some whimsical flight of fancy were it not for the fact that she manage to land one of Disney's most competitive internships as a sophomore, was subsequently appointed to head up her campus' recruitment program, and is being flown out by the company for an interview for a full-time position around the middle of next month after almost a year of grooming by alumni in the Disney network.

All that's left is for them to offer her a job, and her to stipulate a delayed start so she can spend six months to a year as Tiyana, though she'd settle for Nala.

Had she not laid this out for me on Hello Kitty stationary during the summer before her freshman year, I would not have believed that all these things happening to her were pretty much orchestrated from the outset. So, yeah, that whole ISTJ animus thing is evidently a very real and particular animal lurking in pretty much all ENFPs.

S

Society

jumping in:

Theoretically the lower functions can arise in stress, causing an NFP to look STJ and vice versa.

yeah...do you buy that theory tho?

i honestly don't...i mean...a stressed enfp...can be all crazy and te like with completely inaccurate si shit going on but it doesn't look like an istj who's in command of those functions.

and...the only time an istj might seem like an enfp is after many cocktails or happy pills of some sort.

in my super expert opinion :D

i've noticed that theory seems to have a lot of different versions:

"in times of stress, you.."
1. switch all letters - reverse the order of the 4 primary functions (ENFP to ISTJ).
2. reverse the I/O polarities - tackling one's shadow functions (ENFP to INFJ).
3. switch the order & the polarities - tackling one's functional opposite (ENFP to ESTP).

i'm not sure about if i buy any of those, but if shadow functions are real, then the last one seems to make the most sense, because i do think that there is a relationship between the behavioral attributes (P/J & I/E) and the functions we act on, and i noticed that when people aren't dealing with stress in a healthy manner they tend to push their behavioral attributes to the extreme (P's become more chaotic, Js become more uptight, introverts become more reclusive, etc).

to the OP: yes, over the years i've noticed my mother moving from ENFP hippydom to embracing the little uptight ISTJ inside - this has only really started in her 50s though, and i am pretty sure it just has to do with the late development of the lower functions.

Standuble

I would have thought that wizened ENFPs would (at least to the observer) more resemble ESTJs than ISTJs because whilst all four functions may be equally as strong their brains are still hardwired towards extroversion and its associated needs.

Also, a stressed ENFP will resemble an STJ but more of a caricature than a replica.

Meda

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And vice versa for the ISTJ. When my ISTJ manager gets really stressed out, he becomes almost childlike. He gets stubborn and silly and protective... not far from NFP. It's really interesting to watch.

I can attest to that. When I feel stressed and threatened, I can really lockdown and refuse to budge--both to the demise of others and of myself. Kinda like a turtle, really! Or, I can snap and start taking drastic actions that I will regret later. I've had that way too many times.

On the other hand, I suppose a beer has the power to turn me into an ESxJ at least. ;)

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can attest to that. When I feel stressed and threatened, I can really lockdown and refuse to budge--both to the demise of others and of myself. Kinda like a turtle, really! Or, I can snap and start taking drastic actions that I will regret later. I've had that way too many times.

On the other hand, I suppose a beer has the power to turn me into an ESxJ at least. ;)

:laugh:

What a fun thread idea! "Alcohol turns me into an ______"

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that ENFPs come of more ENTJ than anything. And giddy ISTJs (rare, I know) come off sort of as almost Fe-doms. I don't even know. Super emotional.

Picture that one girl in Mean Girls: "I just have a lot of feelings." Just don't tell my SO I said that lol.