• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Functions Conflict The Most?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti and Te.
Fi and Fe.
Si and Se.
Ni and Ne.

These function pairs just don't get along when acting as dominants in two different people respectively.

For example, Ti and Te doms are constantly at war with each other. The relationship could be characterized as nerds vs. bullies. Fe doesn't bother Ti nearly as much as Te. Fe may only seem annoying to them in comparison. Fi and Fe I've heard tend to quarrel over matters, but I'm not sure why.

Si and Se - I've seen Se react strongly against Si, but I don't know why. And I don't know what kind of sparks fly between Ni vs. Ne.

Looking for answers here...

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti and Te.
Fi and Fe.
Si and Se.
Ni and Ne.

These function pairs just don't get along when acting as dominants in two different people respectively.

For example, Ti and Te doms are constantly at war with each other. The relationship could be characterized as nerds vs. bullies. Fe doesn't bother Ti nearly as much as Te. Fe may only seem annoying to them in comparison. Fi and Fe I've heard tend to quarrel over matters, but I'm not sure why.

Si and Se - I've seen Se react strongly against Si, but I don't know why. And I don't know what kind of sparks fly between Ni vs. Ne.

Looking for answers here...

Does that mean you would fight a lot with someone with all opposite functions?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does that mean you would fight a lot with someone with all opposite functions?

All opposite? No, just with people of the opposite dominant function in terms of attitude (Te vs. Ti).

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard it said that Fi views Fe as being fake, ostentatious with their affection, meddlesome, and intrusive. Perhaps Fe views Fi as cold and undemonstrative?
I like both Fi and Fe types, but Fi can be temperamental and inscrutable, and Fe can be unreasonable (well, everyone can I suppose).

Si can clash with Se if the Se person is too aggressive; Si is more self contained and self preserving, and probably more sensitive to sensory stimuli if the person is an introvert. I'm not sure why Se would clash with Si.

I haven't had any problems with Ne types unless they don't listen to me; Ni types can just be really confusing, often on purpose. At least INTJ's can. They like to turn people's thinking upside down.

All the Te and Ti types I've met irl life I've gotten along fine with as far as I know. Sometimes authority figures who primarily use Te can annoy a Ti type by not giving explanation for procedures. I know Te types have a problem with indecisive people, whatever their type.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ni types can just be really confusing, often on purpose. At least INTJ's can. They like to turn people's thinking upside down.

Oh believe me, INFJs can do this too.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So does anybody out there have information on personalities that naturally conflict, such as Ni and Ne, Te and Ti...?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not information, no but can I use conjecture?

That's my main issue with Te... throwing things out just because they are conjecture or speculation. How do you form theories about the world if you can't speculate? Yeah, maybe they won't always end up being accurate, but when that's shown to be the case, just throw the theory out and make a new one. Te is always saying ""this is not the place for conjecture or speculation," as though nothing of value can come out of that.

I don't really see Te users as bullies, just as too intellectually cautious on occasion. Though, that definitely has its uses. Perhaps even in a court of law. ;)

I also think real-life INTJs think I'm a flake at first, because I'm so absent-minded. They seem to revise their opinion once they get to know me better.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's my main issue with Te... throwing things out just because they are conjecture or speculation. How do you form theories about the world if you can't speculate? Yeah, maybe they won't always end up being accurate, but when that's shown to be the case, just throw the theory out and make a new one. Te is always saying ""this is not the place for conjecture or speculation," as though nothing of value can come out of that.

I don't really see Te users as bullies, just as too intellectually cautious on occasion. Though, that definitely has its uses. Perhaps even in a court of law. ;)

I also think real-life INTJs think I'm a flake at first, because I'm so absent-minded. They seem to revise their opinion once they get to know me better.

I'm not stereotyping Te-doms as bullies. Nor am I saying that these types can't get along and understand one another. I'm saying that a natural animosity exists between them.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If we want to pinpoint a general rule that applies to all function pairs, i guess we could say that normally it is the introverted side of the function that gets annoyed at the extraverted side.

In more particular terms, as an Ne-dom I have a lot of Ni-dom friends and we get along quite well and can bounce off each other etc. Some times it has happened that some of them have become insufferable at my constant change in subject (which is not a real change, it's always connected in my head). But that's more or less it.
I could also complain about Fe-dom people as an Fi-aux but that's been overstated here, so...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yea Te has a tendency to want to be efficient. And in doing so, it doesn't want to make mistakes. Therefore just speculating can be annoying because it's a little more action oriented.

I'm not stereotyping Te-doms as bullies. Nor am I saying that these types can't get along and understand one another. I'm saying that a natural animosity exists between them.

I don't know about animosity. I find Ti to just not useful in most cases because Te just drives people to action

Jaguar

Ti and Te doms are constantly at war with each other. The relationship could be characterized as nerds vs. bullies.

INTPs should stop bullying people. They're so mean.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Possibly, but I think it's more of a temporary thing rather than a fundamental incompatibility.

I think INTJs and INTPs can develop a mutual respect, but it takes time. I'm thinking of an INTJ coworker I clashed with at first; we eventually developed that mutual respect, I think. We have somewhat different strengths, but they are both very useful for things that we would probably agree are important.

INTPs should stop bullying people. They're so mean.

INTPs are bullies? Usually we like to leave people alone. The idea of going out of our way to make someone's life miserable seems foreign to me, at least. I don't care enough one way or the other to seek something like that out, unless I feel they've wronged me or someone I care about. But even then, it's sort of a temporary one time thing, not something I do consistently because I've found a target.

I should add that INFPs are equally capable of hurting other people's feelings... I don't think many INFPs are as empathetic as they like to think they are. Fi doms will bully if they think it serves some "good", or even if they have just decided that the person in question is "unacceptable".

Moreover, if they've decided someone has "potential" to be something they find more acceptable, they will nag the person in question in spite of obvious signs of how uncomfortable it's making the other person. To me, that feels like bullying, even if the INFP doesn't see it that way. I can and do tell them, but they may not always listen. Anyway, a naturally empathetic type should be able to see the signs of discomfort... I don't exactly have a poker face.

I think Fe is better at empathy. I tend to view Fi as having a tendency towards self-righteousness and judging others to a standard that they often times won't even follow themselves. When Fi keeps the self-righteousness in check, it's fine by me. I think the empathy in question is often times rooted in some form of self-righteousness, which isn't really empathy. Or, if Fi is actually in tune with how other people are feeling, it seems to only care about this information as it relates to his or herself. I've noticed that FPs have a tendency to say stuff like "your bad attitude is making me uncomfortable." And, then I'm being selfish because I'm not just "being happy" (as though it were that easy for me) for the other person's sake! To me, that's not actually empathy, either, as the other person is only a secondary concern.

I don't really have those problems with Fe users. They seem to be satisfied as long as I make the attempt to understand where they are coming from, and adjust my actions to satisfy their concerns. I seem to have grown my Ne enough to be able to do this. I don't know how to satisfy an unhappy Fi user, and they may even deny that something is wrong. (That doesn't change it from being my responsibility to do something about, naturally.)

Fe is reacting to external cues and feeling tones... tuning to these things, I suppose. It's not hard for me to see how this can be connected with empathy. Fi is... something different. Fi is digesting cues and feeling tones, and then determining whether or not they are acceptable. (That's all I've been able to figure out about Fi so far.) If you're less able to adjust to these feeling tones and have to submit them to an internal system of quality control, you're going to place less of a concern on how other people think. Empathy is one of positive aspects of being concerned with how other people think. The negative side of that is being a sheeple.

S

Stansmith

Possibly.

I think INTJs and INTPs can develop a mutual respect, but it takes time. I'm thinking of an INTJ coworker I clashed with at first here, but I think we've developed that mutual respect. We have somewhat different strengths, but they are both very useful for things that we agree are important.

INTPs are bullies? Usually we like to leave people alone. The idea of going out of our way to make someone's life miserable seems foreign to me, at least. I don't care enough one way or the other to seek this out, unless they've wronged me or someone I care about. But even then, it's a one time thing, not something I do consistently because I've found a target.

I should add that INFPs are equally capable of hurting other people's feelings... I don't think many INFPs are as empathetic as they like to think they are. Fi doms will bully if they think it serves some "good", or even if they have just decided that the person in question is "unacceptable".

Moreover, if they've decided someone has "potential" to be something they find more acceptable, they will nag the person in question in spite of obvious signs of how uncomfortable it's making the other person. To me, that feels like bullying, even if the INFP doesn't see it that way. I can and do tell them, but they may not always listen. Anyway, a naturally empathetic type should be able to see the signs of discomfort... I don't exactly have a poker face.

I think Fe is better at empathy, I tend to view Fi as having a tendency towards self-righteousness and judging others to a standard that they often times won't even follow themselves. When Fi keeps the self-righteousness in check, it's fine by me. I think the empathy in question is oftentimes self-righteousness, which isn't really empathy. Or, if Fi is so often in tune with what other people are doing, it seems to only care about this information as it relates his or herself. I've noticed that FPs have a tendency to say stuff like "your bad attitude is making me uncomfortable." And, then I'm being selfish because I'm not just "being happy" (as though it were that easy for me) for the other person's sake! To me, that's not actually empathy, as the other person is only a secondary concern.

I don't really have those problems with Fe users. They seem to be satisfied as long as I make the attempt to understand where they are coming from, and adjust my actions to satisfy their concerns. I don't know how to satisfy an unhappy Fi user. I seem to have grown my Ne enough to be able to do this.

So a TP with little use of Fe is more like to think "I don't care either way" than a Fi user, who's more likely to see himself as being on a moral high ground? Because I think the outward behavior of a Fi user and a Ti-crazy ENTP 7 aren't that far off from each other.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So a TP with little use of Fe is more like to think "I don't care either way" than a Fi user, who's more likely to see himself as being on a moral high ground? Because I think the outward behavior of a Fi user and a Ti-crazy ENTP 7 aren't that far off from each other.

I don't know about the ENTPs, but with the INTPs, I think so. Although... my understanding from reading Jung that it's pointless for an INTP to try and gain control of his unconscious feeling, because it will just leave them conflicted and indecisive. He seems to suggest that it's better to use Ne than "develop Fe." Judging by my attempts to be an NF in my early 20s (If you go to a major hippy college you'll do that), I'd say I agree.

I can't speak for the ENTP... but you may be mistyping an ENFP just because they aren't talking about rainbows or something. Jim Morrison and John Lennon were both ENFP males.

S

Stansmith

I don't know about the ENTPs, but with the INTPs, I think so. Although... my understanding from reading Jung that it's pointless for an INTP to try and gain control of his unconscious feeling, because it will just leave them conflicted and indecisive. He seems to suggest that it's better to use Ne than "develop Fe." Judging by my attempts to be an NF in my early 20s (If you go to a major hippy college you'll do that), I'd say I agree.

I can't speak for the ENTP... but you may be mistyping an ENFP just because they aren't talking about rainbows or something. Jim Morrison and John Lennon were both ENFP males.

I was talking about guys like Quentin Tarantino, Seth Macfarlane or your stereotypical ENTP troll who come off as very anti-Fe.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure I use Fe, but EXFJ's can be pretty darn annoying to me. Not for all the reasons I listed- mainly because they understand social things better than I do and so I'm easy to fool- and they tend to attach meaning to things which isn't there and make a big deal over nothing. And then there's the ultra-conformist who makes value decisions based on nothing more than tradition, and then proceeds to force them onto other people. Maybe this indicates I'm Fi, I don't know. It just seems like a lack of thinking about things.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ti and Te.
Fi and Fe.
Si and Se.
Ni and Ne.

This analysis is too simplistic. Functions do not operate in a vacuum. How well people with these pairs of dom functions get along will have much to do with their other functions, and how they work with or temper the influence of the dom functions.

I haven't had any problems with Ne types unless they don't listen to me; Ni types can just be really confusing, often on purpose. At least INTJ's can. They like to turn people's thinking upside down.
You have no idea how satisfying this can be.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was talking about guys like Quentin Tarantino, Seth Macfarlane or your stereotypical ENTP troll who come off as very anti-Fe.

None of those people strike me as doing any of the things I described. I also did not say bullying was contrary to INTP behavior, merely that it was contrary to INTP inclinations. We don't want to get involved with things enough to be bullies. Perhaps ENTps are different.

And, both Tarantino and Farlane strike me more as Se doms than Ne doms. Perhaps Farlane might be a Ne dom, but I doubt Tarantino. The kind of movies he gets the most excited about is stuff like low-budget kung fu movies, stuff that seems to be more appealing to Se interests than Ne interests.

Last edited: