• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Keirsey's Guardians Outdated?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I got the "Please Understand Me 2" some weeks ago and there is something bothering me.

See, Keirsey writes with a long experience and the observations he made goes back decades. So he has a bit different perspective from mine. His view of the temperaments mostly matches my own observation, exept for the SJs. Keirsey talks about their values and such, but I can't connect his view with the real life. I thought about this and came to a conclusion that his observations might have been outdated.

This is quite logical, actually. The SJs are for the reason of maintaining the culture, so they must be easily shaped into that culture and the shaping has to last a long time, a lifetime maybe. So, if the SJ of the sixties would think that marriage is "the thing to do", today's SJ might think that "sex in the city" is the way. And, even if they seem to do exactly the opposite now, they do it for the same reason than fifty years ago.

I think this is quite important to consider when trying to think about the things the temperaments do. If this is true, it means that most of the stuff written about SJs are too time-and-culture related. What do you think?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Totally agree with you on that.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I got the "Please Understand Me 2" some weeks ago and there is something bothering me.

See, Keirsey writes with a long experience and the observations he made goes back decades. So he has a bit different perspective from mine. His view of the temperaments mostly matches my own observation, exept for the SJs. Keirsey talks about their values and such, but I can't connect his view with the real life. I thought about this and came to a conclusion that his observations might have been outdated.

This is quite logical, actually. The SJs are for the reason of maintaining the culture, so they must be easily shaped into that culture and the shaping has to last a long time, a lifetime maybe. So, if the SJ of the sixties would think that marriage is "the thing to do", today's SJ might think that "sex in the city" is the way. And, even if they seem to do exactly the opposite now, they do it for the same reason than fifty years ago.

I think this is quite important to consider when trying to think about the things the temperaments do. If this is true, it means that most of the stuff written about SJs are too time-and-culture related. What do you think?

I haven't read as much about the types and temperaments, but what I have read seems rather limited about what really makes SJs tick. I know that I don't feel like someone who wants to preserve things for their own sakes, but rather for their value to me and to others. I don't think that SJs are necessarily easily shaped into the culture, though. We can be very stubborn about what we consider to be right and wrong.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I know that I don't feel like someone who wants to preserve things for their own sakes, but rather for their value to me and to others. I don't think that SJs are necessarily easily shaped into the culture, though. We can be very stubborn about what we consider to be right and wrong.

But, if we think back, it could be that the things you find worthy are the things (unconsciously) set by your parents and childhood friends. This would mean that they have "shaped" the person you are and your "mission" is to take their values to the next generation (stubbornly, if the need be). Basicly it leads to a form of democracy as the child obeys the strong and group has power. So most of the children of a generation will have vaguely similar values.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I only skimmed the post, but the gist seems right:

SJ's generally stabilize and maintain the culture.

The specific traits we might label as "SJ" (such as "marriage between a man and woman") are not inherent SJ, they would only be the "given" for SJ thought because that's what the standards were.

At some point, if other types of marriages become openly accepted and the new standard, then SJs would seemingly support THAT standard instead. (ESJs are much more inclined to let the standards shift, too. It's your ISJ's who are most liable to cling fiercely to the past way of doing things or thinking of things.)

So you have to be very careful about what gets assigned to "SJ beliefs." Much of the actual content of the beliefs is inconsequential, it's the fact that the beliefs (whatever they are) were the given standard / accepted truth that has a bearing on things.

Again, Keirsey's SJs derive their reality from the way things seem to be and what they've experienced. It becomes the model by which other things are judged.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
But, if we think back, it could be that the things you find worthy are the things (unconsciously) set by your parents and childhood friends. This would mean that they have "shaped" the person you are and your "mission" is to take their values to the next generation (stubbornly, if the need be). Basicly it leads to a form of democracy as the child obeys the strong and group has power. So most of the children of a generation will have vaguely similar values.

I don't think that is true in my case. I mean, my parents taught me a lot, but I was skeptical of my religious education and form my own set of values a fairly young age.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, sure. But you might have had some other idol to follow. You never know. Well, at least I can't figure out the exact point when my most profound values were formed... I remember so few things about the past.

And, if we think about it, you broke away from the church at the right time, because everyone else is doing the same. So, one could say that you were following the spirit of era unconsciously.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, sure. But you might have had some other idol to follow. You never know. Well, at least I can't figure out the exact point when my most profound values were formed... I remember so few things about the past.

I admire people, but I am not big on idols. It's weird; I think my personal values are probably the most intuitive part of my personality.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think that the Guardian temperament would extend to youth subcultures, as well -- even freaky ones such as Goths.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I would think that the Guardian temperament would extend to youth subcultures, as well -- even freaky ones such as Goths.

Yeah, why not. The first goths obviously had to be artisans (or derailed idealists) but when any movement gets enough momentum, the guardians start to join in.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, why not. The first goths obviously had to be artisans (or derailed idealists) but when any movement gets enough momentum, the guardians start to join in.

And take over. The Guardian Goth would be the one to scout the best graveyards to hang out in, and would research the cheapest place to buy clove cigarettes. ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Guardians are the most elastic and conductive of all the types. Kiersey painted them as stiff and unbending, but that's only because the culture around them at the time wasn't conductive to change them. Kiersey pretty much neglected to mention what really drove 'Guardian' types and instead explained the trappings -- as he did with all the rest of the types -- and it really makes all of them look quite shallow.

Yes, there have to be guardian goths. There are so many goths that it'd be impossible not to have at least a few.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Who isn't shaped and influenced by the culture they grew up in?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

Yeah, I am sure I was. I wouldn't claim otherwise. I do think that my values are NOT simple parroting of those around me growing up, though.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

I wasn't saying that anyone would be immune to enculturalisation. The way I see it, the guardians must be the ones who keep the norm longer. They have less need to break the norm, since one of their major motivation is to pass the culture. In the long run the guardians are the most mutable, but in a single lifetime probably not. I see the other types described by Keirsey in a more timeless fashion.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Kiersey painted them as stiff and unbending, but that's only because the culture around them at the time wasn't conductive to change them.

Yes, this is what I mean. The guardians take the flavour of their surrounding, no matter what time or place, so it makes them most mutable. It just takes some time for them to suck it in.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
i happen to frequent the european goth scene myself, and yes we have guardian goths although i would not say that the majority of them fall into the clichees. if they harbour keirseyesque SJ-values, they are not overt about it. the majority of them tend to keep silent about morality and some of them are in fact very artistic in their fashion expression.

so basically, though a few teenagers play the "gother than thou" game, seeking to make goth its own pop, there are no overt references to traditional family valus from them.

this all supports the notion that SJ naturally seek to echo the dominant cultural values of their community.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
i happen to frequent the european goth scene myself, and yes we have guardian goths although i would not say that the majority of them fall into the clichees. if they harbour keirseyesque SJ-values, they are not overt about it. the majority of them tend to keep silent about morality and some of them are in fact very artistic in their fashion expression.

so basically, though a few teenagers play the "gother than thou" game, seeking to make goth its own pop, there are no overt references to traditional family valus from them.

this all supports the notion that SJ naturally seek to echo the dominant cultural values of their community.

Since when are Guardians not fashionable, or not amoral? I consider myself the first, and I've see the second in action (the ESFJ as "used car salesman").

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think we can accurately say this:

SJs are the tofu of all the types.