• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are the NF and NT Temperaments valid?

S

Stansmith

I honestly feel like NP and NJ temperaments make more sense. Everyone seems to be on the same page on the SP and SJ forums, whereas it seems like NFPs live on a separate planet in comparison to NFJs.

There aren't even any shared functions or objective similarities.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
NFs still have intuition and feeling functions in their top two, even if not in the same orientations. NP and NJ still wouldn't make complete sense because for instance ENFPs are dom Ne (without even a Ti commonality) and INTPs are dom Ti, which are also complete different worlds.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I honestly feel like NP and NJ temperaments make more sense. Everyone seems to be on the same page on the SP and SJ forums, whereas it seems like NFPs live on a separate planet in comparison to NFJs.

I know what you're saying but I have a hard time with ENTP's and INFP's being lumped together. They're related, but not temperamentally. ENFJ's and INFP's certainly seem more closely related to me.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NFs still have intuition and feeling functions in their top two, even if not in the same orientations. NP and NJ still wouldn't make complete sense because for instance ENFPs are dom Ne (without even a Ti commonality) and INTPs are dom Ti, which are also complete different worlds.

Yeah, this. If you were to ask me which type description I relate to more between the NFs and NPs it would go something like INFP>ENFJ>ENTP>INFJ>INTP. So the NFs beat the NPs in that sense. And even though INFP is also NP, it's because our functions are shared in a very similar order: feeling/intuition as dominant/auxilary as opposed to the STJs. So the reason I relate most to that description the most (you know...besides ENFP) is not for the shared Ne/Fi entirely, but more for the overall NF vibes.

W

WALMART

I know what you're saying but I have a hard time with ENTP's and INFP's being lumped together.

And yet ESTP's and ISFP's must live in this partition.

It makes the most sense to me to have FP's, TP's, TJ's and FJ's grouped together. We will always know the rational function and the attitude of the irrational function.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Everyone seems to be on the same page on the SP and SJ forums, whereas it seems like NFPs live on a separate planet in comparison to NFJs.

And this opinion is based in........what exactly? Could you explain how SP's and SJ's get on the same page and yet NFP's and NFJ's aren't.

Is N for iNdividual and S for Similar?

'Seems' is a loose word, sometimes seams hold my clothes together, but sometimes it seems like the seams are just there to get ripped....be careful with your seems.

W

WALMART

And this opinion is based in........what exactly? Could you explain how SP's and SJ's get on the same page and yet NFP's and NFJ's aren't.

There are far more that identify with N than S out of the gate. More people = more chaos. Look at the activity in the SP/SJ forums... almost nonexistent.

Of course we're all on the same page: no one gives a fuck.

MBTI Type
Mann
There are far more that identify with N than S out of the gate. More people = more chaos. Look at the activity in the SP/SJ forums... almost nonexistent.

Of course we're all on the same page: no one gives a fuck.

*SP seal of approval*

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It makes the most sense to me to have FP's, TP's, TJ's and FJ's grouped together. We will always know the rational function and the attitude of the irrational function.

I kinda agree with this. I can relate a lot more to FJs than, say, NTJs.

Still, I definitely feel a strong sense of kinship with 'other NFs', including NFPs. It also makes for dramatic Fe/Fi clashes and gets some action going in the NF forums :laugh:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
S

Stansmith

Yeah, this. If you were to ask me which type description I relate to more between the NFs and NPs it would go something like INFP>ENFJ>ENTP>INFJ>INTP. So the NFs beat the NPs in that sense. And even though INFP is also NP, it's because our functions are shared in a very similar order: feeling/intuition as dominant/auxilary as opposed to the STJs. So the reason I relate most to that description the most (you know...besides ENFP) is not for the shared Ne/Fi entirely, but more for the overall NF vibes.

I will admit, NFs do tend to have a certain orientation in social situations that they share. They're not domineering, and tend to have a sort of mediator/counselor type vibe. The healthy NF is basically the uncle you can tell your problems to and get consolation without judgement.

However, whenever I hear an ENTP or an INTP speak, I immediately get where they're coming from. With INFJ and ENFJs on the other hand, I see the complete opposite of me. They're always so nice, considerate, emotionally open, and passionate about social issues in ways that I don't really understand. How I Met Your Mother for instance; I don't get the protagonist Ted (INFJ), but I get Barney (ENTP). I probably relate to ESFPs and ISFPs better than I do NFJs, personally.

S

Stansmith

And yet ESTP's and ISFP's must live in this partition.

Yeah, that makes sense. ESTPs, ENTPs, ISTPs and INTPs are practically the same kinds of people. Same can be said for ENFPs, INFPs, ESFPs and ISFPs.

INTJs and INFJs stand out though compared to other TJs and FJs, respectively.

S

Stansmith

Is N for iNdividual and S for Similar?

'Seems' is a loose word, sometimes seams hold my clothes together, but sometimes it seems like the seams are just there to get ripped....be careful with your seems.

SPs live in the moment and soak in life as it is (Se), while SJs are traditional, dutiful and prefer routine (Si). Now NFs and NTs; is it basically NF= Nice, NT = Logical?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think NT, NF, SF and ST makes more sense. See socionics and quadras.

S

Stansmith

This is how I see ENFJs

iStock-happy-dad-375x248.jpg

And this is how I see ENFPs

tumblr_m67pgfaHsc1qmhggvo1_500_large.png

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is how I see ENFJs

iStock-happy-dad-375x248.jpg

And this is how I see ENFPs

tumblr_m67pgfaHsc1qmhggvo1_500_large.png

Funny, because I see myself more in the ENFJ picture than the ENFP one. The ENFP picture seems more ESFP to me imo. :shrug: Or maybe the cigarette just turns me off and pushes me towards ENFJ.

I think NT, NF, SF and ST makes more sense. See socionics and quadras.

Both of these sound good to me. :thumbup:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny, because I see myself more in the ENFJ picture than the ENFP one. The ENFP picture seems more ESFP to me imo. :shrug: Or maybe the cigarette just turns me off and pushes me towards ENFJ.

I would say that the first picture is actually more Si-based, possibly delta-ish, the second is definitely beta or alpha. Turns me off too. Very strong Fe-goof present in the second picture.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The MBTI groupings do not make sense because they group types together whose functions don't overlap.
xNFPs value Ne/Si, Te/Fi while xNFJs value Ni/Se, Ti/Fe. Since these types don't share a single function in common, they see things in very different light -- so how does it make sense to group them together?

Types are grouped according to their valued functions in socionics and I think this grouping makes widely more sense. The NF, NT, etc. groupings correspond to research clubs, where NTs are researchers and NFs are humanitarians: http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Small_groups

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I really don't think so. Kiersey makes all NT's look like 6w5 and 5w6's who are sp/so and so/sp, and makes all NF's look like 2's, 4's, and 9w1's that are sx doms.

S

Stansmith

I would say that the first picture is actually more Si-based, possibly delta-ish, the second is definitely beta or alpha. Turns me off too. Very strong Fe-goof present in the second picture.

The second guy is ENFP 7w8