• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much do you identify with others of your type?

This thread was prompted by statements like "I don't really identify very much with the other XXXXs I see on this forum" that I see every now and then on typology forums.

---
By and large, do you identify on a personal level with others of your type?

If so, how much? What's it like sharing a type with someone you identify with? What triggers the feeling of identifying with that person? Do you feel a sense of kinship or is it just something you take note of in passing or not much more? Do you tend to accept people as your own type based on whether or not you identify with their behavior and style of self-expression, or is there something else at play?

If not, how do you tend to react to people who share your type but you don't identify with? Do you tend to question the validity of their self-typing or your own? If you do think you're both correctly typed, how do you reconcile the differences? Do you miss the feeling of being able to identify with others of your type or does it not bug you that much?

For people who don't identify with any single type, what is it like seeing others cluster into their own little type communities?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm virtually interchangeable with the other (actual) ENTJs on the forum. Especially the women.

*pours one out for [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION]* :cry:

I think I'm virtually interchangeable with the other (actual) ENTJs on the forum. Especially the women.

Don't believe that poseur's smoke and mirrors act. She repped me earlier today. Twice.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was looking at the similar minds tests and find that it's a good indicator of who I connect with -- basically those with the RCUxI setting with a focus on Inquisitive (as opposed to other indicators in the type). That kind of equals the INxP with an N focus in the MBTI.

yes, kinship usually comes from noting shared levels of "openness" with a rational/fair underpinning.
If there are shared interests, that helps to pad things out a bit.

But I usually don't feel much like I fit in anywhere.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't doubt other people's type claims. I'm highly interested in all ENFPs, and I definitely feel a kinship to them. But I identify more with my enneagram siblings out there, it seems to be more relevant to my daily struggles right now than MBTI.

Burger King

There are things that are said about type A or type B derived from a person's experience that I can relate to, but it mostly ends there. Whether I identify with someone or some group seems to be type (enneagram or mbti) independent. I have difficulty relating to begin with. And yes, at times I do think I'm mistyped or they're mistyped. -> That's the fun part.

What about you? What's your experience?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usually a lot, assuming they are actually properly typed. Most people aren't though, in my opinion.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I identify with... no one... in the world... except possibly taylor kitsch or charlie sheen.

G

Glycerine

I mostly relate to people with 3 and/or 5 fixes. I can't distinctly think of anyone I completely resonate with... other than the vague essence of being XNFJ. I would say it is more of a function of a difference in lifestyle and background. I just figure type is a toolbox and everyone is going to use it slightly differently.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
As a matter of fact, in the military, a bunch of guys made a video of me making fun of me posing me as charlie sheen from his interviews. so... yeah. I'll go with a very broke, sober charlie sheen.

images

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some more than others, especially ones that share my enneagram type as well. I feel like a lot of the differences have to do with background and lifestyle, I feel more of a cultural difference than a personality one a lot of the time.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was looking at the similar minds tests and find that it's a good indicator of who I connect with -- basically those with the RCAxI setting with a focus on Inquisitive (as opposed to other indicators in the type). That kind of equals the INxP with an N focus in the MBTI.

The last time I took the test, I got RCEUI. That being said, I just had a bad break-up with an SFP. When i read the descriptions, I'm probably more Accomodating than Egocentric these days. I don't feel like taking the test.

I don't necessarily identify with INTPs, but I find I'm more likely to identify with XNTPs than with other types. I don't care about projecting an image of rebellion, which seems to be something that happens with the folks at INTP Central. I suppose it's that I don't see the point in rebellion if all it means is that I have to conform to something different. Like, i don't feel like I've missed out on something because I haven't smoked salvia or something. I don't care if someone smokes salvia, but stop insisting that it's some awesome thing that everyone needs to try if they're truly interested in expanding their minds.

Actually, I think that's more of an issue I have with youth (including 20-something) culture than with something inherently INTP. Just because I don't like some things about society, that doesn't mean I have to do everything the opposite of the way society expects me to.

I like making friends with people who are just themselves, and don't care about some stupid trendy bourgeois hipster "image."

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

I'd have to disagree. You consistently come across as more subdued and mellow than other ENTJs.

In my case...I've gotten along with the other ISFPs I know and have typed as such, but I would not say that I identify with them.

93JC

I don't identify with any particular type. "What is it like seeing others cluster into their own little type communities"? From the outside looking in, silly, but whatever floats people's boats. I have no inclination to tell them to do otherwise. I see facets of my personality reflected by people of all 'type', and I see great differences between people of one 'type'. Categorizing one's self and agglomerating with others who have done the same seems... well, as I said, silly.

I think some people become too attached to the labels for their own good. Particularly when they become dismissive of, create their own put-downs for or act outright hateful toward certain other types.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We have a lot to talk about regarding the MBTI, and we have similar senses of humor. However, I generally have little in common with them, and I usually find them boring irl.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The last time I took the test, I got RCEUI.

Doh. We are both detail challenged. I think the correct variations are RCUEI and RCUAI. :rofl1:

Anyway, you got RCUEI and so did I, but I usually class as RCUxI and have gotten A a few times as well. I consider myself more of an Accommodator overall, although less than I used to be.

I don't necessarily identify with INTPs, but I find I'm more likely to identify with XNTPs than with other types. I don't care about projecting an image of rebellion, which seems to be something that happens with the folks at INTP Central.

Me either. I'm not anti-authority, I'm just indifferent to the point of going along if I think it will be useful to do so and only pushing back if I have a clear reason to do so. For too many, it comes off as a "chip on the shoulder" kind of thing.

Actually, I think that's more of an issue I have with youth (including 20-something) culture than with something inherently INTP. Just because I don't like some things about society, that doesn't mean I have to do everything the opposite of the way society expects me to.

Well, I'll say... things don't change. People in that age gap from any generation are known for pushing back against authority just to establish their own independence.

I'd have to disagree. You consistently come across as more subdued and mellow than other ENTJs.

Agreed. Pretty low-key ENTJ, to the point I had to be reminded of the typing.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have a bad habit of overstating the case, but I do find we all tend to think along the same lines. When there were more active ENTJs on the forum one of them would post in a thread, I'd read what they have to say, and pretty much feel my work had been done for me.

Really, it's an instinctual thing. I'll interact with someone and recognize pretty quickly we're of the same tribe, or not. The few other ENTJs I've met irl seem to pick up that same resonance from me as well. I once had what was supposed to be a 30 minute interview with a 3 star general turn into a nearly 5 hour conversation, because despite having no outward similarities to speak of, this much older man and I knew that there was that connection. My colleague who had worked on site with the guy for almost a year was so blown away by it that he actually asked if I'd fucked him or something. The guy apparently had a rep for being ruthless with how he spent his time and pretty much a bastard to anyone who he didn't have immediate use for, and here he was doling out life advice and wanting to discuss Keats like I was one of his kids or something.

My point really was that while Te-Ni is a frankly fairly uncommon viewpoint to have, it's also distinctive and consistent. The way you think is unusual enough that you're kinda grateful when you come across someone like you, but definite enough that there's no mistaking it when you have. Or perhaps I'm just weird and lonely and want to believe there's a place for me with others somewhere. Who knows.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFPs: a lot, minus some of the people pleasing tendencies and need for acceptance present in many of them
7s in general: a lot (the ones who are correctly typed at least. I don't relate to the stereotypical stand-up comedy impression of type 7 that seems to be so common)
7w6s: not very much. I actually relate a lot more to most 7w8s (sans the excessive impulsiveness and physical provocation)
3w4 fixers: a lot. I'm a pretentious bitch and love giving off a dark, professional and subtly sexy image. that said, I'm much lazier than most 3w4 fixers :laugh:
1w9 fixers: on the surface, no; internally, yes. I exhibit quite a bit of reaction formation and respond to anger like a judge (for example, I'm more than willing to be quite punitive, but only if the person is deserving and I've verified that they are guilty)
Sx/Sp: I'm a little more grounded and professionally oriented than most Sx/Sps, but on the inside I relate to them completely. my insides feel like a pressure cooker of fiery energy contained by a levy of Sp, with cracks in this levy periodically resulting in high pressure streams of energy. so much of me wants to just wander away with a star crossed lover, forget about the world and never look back, but someone's gotta be able to pay the bills.