• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much do you identify with others of your type?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I tend to identify with the INFPs on this forum. I spent some time on Personality Cafe and got pretty sick of the 'INFPs' there. I don't know whether many of them were mistyped (I imagine many are) or if they were all just so very, very young, but I found so much of the discussion to be vomit inducing. There was too much nicey-nicey, virtual hugs, or griping about and wallowing in problems. Each thread was either a saccharine love-fest or like a bunch of emo teenagers talking about how deep and sad their lives are. I just didn't find enough critical discussion; people sharing real opinions and debating over it. It also seemed like they were all self-consciously attempting to live up to, and perpetuate, INFP stereotypes, which turned them into a bunch of mindless sheep - and inauthenticity is a mortal sin to a INFP. The INFPs here are real individuals, that have real points of view; that is much more appealling to me. Total agreement and commonality can be a seriously dull affair. I also think a person having properly engaged Ne makes a difference. I suppose that's why I didn't like PC: people lacked Ne-style novelty, inspiration, insight, absurdity, irony, cheekiness etc - it was all just so earnest and repetitive. Besides, TC INFPs actually get grumpy, stubborn, and flippant, which makes me feel more at home. :D

Overall what I identify with is people that really like to consider, discuss and question things. People that make insightful points/arguments that really cut to the heart of things. People that appreciate and recognise complexity and see the world in shades of grey. People that know when to play the devil's advocate (perhaps even to their own argument) or re-centre/re-focus/re-position a discussion and bring it back what really matters. People that use humour to reveal truth. People who are attuned to possible negative effects on people and the dangers of going down the path of certain arguments. It's not so much what they talk about, but how they talk about it that appeals to me. I just really love it when I read a post and it just lights up my brain in the right way; it makes me feel connected to that person. I suppose any type can fulfil all this, but the NFPs do it in the way that satisfies me the most consistently.

If not, how do you tend to react to people who share your type but you don't identify with? Do you tend to question the validity of their self-typing or your own? If you do think you're both correctly typed, how do you reconcile the differences? Do you miss the feeling of being able to identify with others of your type or does it not bug you that much?
These are interesting and difficult questions. I don't usually question people's type here, but if I met a INFP IRL that I didn't click with, I might do so. I tend to steer clear of the INFPs (and ENFPs) I don't identify with because they can irritate me more, and I can wind up in arguments with them (which I should avoid). If they fit the type, I just let go of the differences. They are, what they are, and I am, what I am - no big deal. It doesn't really undermine my understanding of the type.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Experience has shown that I don't identify well with any type! :(

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Doh. We are both detail challenged. I think the correct variations are RCUEI and RCUAI. :rofl1:

Ha, I actually noticed that, but I was trying to fit it into your format. I don't know why I didn't just correct you. :D

Anyway, you got RCUEI and so did I, but I usually class as RCUxI and have gotten A a few times as well. I consider myself more of an Accommodator overall, although less than I used to be.

I was on the border last time.

Me either. I'm not anti-authority, I'm just indifferent to the point of going along if I think it will be useful to do so and only pushing back if I have a clear reason to do so. For too many, it comes off as a "chip on the shoulder" kind of thing.

You mean, the people who are like "fuck SJ authority!!!!" come off like they have a chip on their shoulder? (nevermind that not all authority figures are SJs, and there are plenty of SJs that aren't authority figures.)

Mostly, it's that I'm indifferent to most things, and as long as it's not something unbearably stupid or immoral, I don't have an issue. As long as it seems like the person knows what they are talking about, I don't care, especially because I don't know everything.

People who harp on you about not doing minor things that are completely irrelevant and are never satisfied no matter what you do can go fuck themselves, however.

Well, I'll say... things don't change. People in that age gap from any generation are known for pushing back against authority just to establish their own independence.

Yeah, and it's a pet peeve of mine when people believe or do something just because it's the opposite of what they've been taught. Not because what they've been taught is correct, necessarily, but that doesn't mean the opposite is correct either. I'd rather people form their opinions and attitudes for something stronger than setting themselves up in opposition.

Another place where people believe things just because it's the opposite is politics, which is unfortunately not limited to age. Snowden is a good example.

]

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I identify with other INFJs here. In other places, not so much. I enjoy most of the company here, actually, but it's particularly comforting to me to read another INFJ's answer to a question and find myself nodding along in agreement, feeling like they also articulated my own unspoken position perfectly. But that occasionally also happens with other types here, too, so it's not entirely a type thing.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I identify a lot with INFJs here. Some posts I'd read and go "Wow, I could have written exactly that!"

Standuble

I agree with Southern Kross about PerC. The INFP forum there is abhorrent and if I could I would probably nuke the place (and most likely the INFJ forum there as well). I have developed shame from my association with those people and find myself wondering whether they are mistyped (probably as a psychological coping mechanism.) The topics cause the eyes to roll and the "nice guy" self pity threads are the worst IMO. Lacking in self-reflection much? It makes me wonder whether types like the INFP are designed to be able to handle such places and would be better off learning in a degree of solitude, everyone becomes miserable there after a time. In the end the only pleasure I received was through trolling the forum.

I don't have the same issues here. I find the members smart and I have respect for them. Even if I don't click with their personal values I have a very strong sense out brains are for the most part wired the same way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I mostly relate to other FPs, I've noticed. But FPs are all different, and I noticed in a big way I wasn't "nice" or "Delta" enough to be an ENFP after typing as ENFP for a while, but wasn't as introverted an INFP, but I am not as attached to my phone and noise and so forth as most ESFPs, but some ISFPs also seem more reserved than me....at least on-line.

In person I'm actually considered fairly reserved until you get to know me, but I'm very frank on-line or with people IRL who know me well.

I tend to identify with something between an ISFP and ESFP, but also with the slightly political strain of the ENFP, or the reservation and hiding from others and independence of the INFP.

So I find that there are FPs here or there I relate to for various reasons, but I think I mostly have a more adult Se grasp of "why don't you know this practical thing or socially powerful (powerful as opposed to acceptable or considerate, notice the difference between Se and Fe) thing about the world?" more so than an Ne type would, and I'm very obviously Fi.

Sometimes I think people throw ENFP on me because they don't know what to do with me, because I'm also relatively book smart, but it's mostly *facts* and experiential intelligence, which again is Se.

I think that I use Ni a lot, though, too much for an ESFP.

So in result I relate most to FPs in general. Whatever that means.

I wonder what would have happened and what insights I would have had discovering personality forums as a 23 year old, if it would have been clearer then.

I know my emotional age at 23 was about 17, so NF is unlikely.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol, I feel like I'm not reckless enough to be one.

I'm more cold, calculated and polite. And I don't drink. Or smoke. Or like parties.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Overall, I identify pretty well with other INTPs. I identify with some more than others. I tend to identify more with the INTPs who have a bit of an INFP streak.

Enneagram-wise, I identify alot with other type 5s, especially 5w6s and also 9w1s.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overall, I identify pretty well with other INTPs. I identify with some more than others. I tend to identify more with the INTPs who have a bit of an INFP streak.

Enneagram-wise, I identify alot with other type 5s, especially 5w6s and also 9w1s.

Just a question if you don't mind, but did you actually consider core 9? It would make more sense for a core 9 to relate more to "INFP-ness" than a core 5. Core 5 emphasizes intellectuality so much more due to mental power-seek and so on. Should be noted also that part of the reason why I say this is because I actually don't relate to you as a 5 myself. It's the softness of your demeanor that reminds me of 9, not of the aggressive power-seek from type 5, especially the more confident 5s.

W

WALMART

I identify mainly with fictional ISTP's. I don't know any ISTP's in real life, but then again, my social circle is habitually instinctively pruned.

lol, I feel like I'm not reckless enough to be one.

I'm more cold, calculated and polite. And I don't drink. Or smoke. Or like parties.

Don't let anyone fool you, the only traits attributable to Se are the bolded.

G

Ginkgo

I identify with male INFPs like Snuggletron, The Outsider, and Chawie.

The female ones I've met in real life are too busy saying shit like "KAWAIII ^_^" to really know.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
some yes, some no. Now that I think about it, where the hell did all the istps go? It seems like most have disappeared.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just a question if you don't mind, but did you actually consider core 9? It would make more sense for a core 9 to relate more to "INFP-ness" than a core 5. Core 5 emphasizes intellectuality so much more due to mental power-seek and so on. Should be noted also that part of the reason why I say this is because I actually don't relate to you as a 5 myself. It's the softness of your demeanor that reminds me of 9, not of the aggressive power-seek from type 5, especially the more confident 5s.

I have considered type 9 as a core type in the past. It's true that I tend to be rather conflict avoidant. I guess one key way in which I differ from core 9's is that I while I avoid conflict if I can, I'm not inclined to just sweep problems under the rug and think if I just wait it out it will go away. I've done a type 5 v.s. type 9 typing thread in the past and from feedback, I ended up settling on type 5. I do have a strong 9w1 trifix point though. Also, when you look at the triads. 9 is positive outlook, 5 is competency. I relate far more to competency. 9 is gut and 5 is head. I relate more to the head group. 5 is in the rejection triad, 9 is the attachment triad. Again, I identify more with the rejection.

You say you don't identify much with me. There are other factors too such as MBTI type- INTJ v.s. INTP and variants sx/sp v.s. sp/so and socionics types. ILI vs LII.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not much at all, which is why I took the ISFP off of my profile and haven't put anything back. I don't think or carry myself at all like Fi dominants do. They tend to know what they believe and what they want naturally, while I can hardly hold onto a favorite color for a week. :D I'm very chameleonic in situations, and Fi dominants are not on a very essential level. I get in trouble for not using judgment and not having a good filter for incoming stuff. Being tuned in to the way things are but out of touch with the way things work. I think I'm probably a young irrational type (N or S first), creatively taking in and playing with things naturally from the outset but learning to define them later in life, possibly stuck in a dominant-tertiary loop around my best judging function. I create things, sometimes they're good, but I don't know why I do it. Growth for me is finding something solid inside.

Then again, I similarly don't relate strongly to any of the functions, except more to Se and Ne than the rest. I crave experiences because through them, that's how we find out what we're made of.

The content I identify with most comes from the enneagram fours with three wings, less so with five wings. The one exception is over the core issue of differentiating oneself. When I'm working within a system, I assimilate hard and try to be the best in it.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes a quite a bit. Sometimes not much at all.

I find myself identifying more with enneagram types 5s and 4s rather than MBTI INTPs.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not much at all, which is why I took the ISFP off of my profile and haven't put anything back. I don't think or carry myself at all like Fi dominants do. They tend to know what they believe and what they want naturally, while I can hardly hold onto a favorite color for a week. :D I'm very chameleonic in situations, and Fi dominants are not on a very essential level. I get in trouble for not using judgment and not having a good filter for incoming stuff. Being tuned in to the way things are but out of touch with the way things work. I think I'm probably a young irrational type (N or S first), creatively taking in and playing with things naturally from the outset but learning to define them later in life, possibly stuck in a dominant-tertiary loop around my best judging function. I create things, sometimes they're good, but I don't know why I do it. Growth for me is finding something solid inside.
IME this is not incongruous with ISFP behaviour. ISFPs are often more malleable to their environment than INFPs, especially the e9s. Se dictates a highly contextual view of life, so ISFPs will naturally need to remain more non-committal until they can assess situations as they happen. I think they have just as strong "DO NO CROSS" lines as INFPs, but it might not figure as consciously in their minds on an everyday basis.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
It varies by a pretty wide margin, and while there's a correlation to type, there's a fair bit of variance. Honestly, I'm much more likely to identify with single folks in their mid-30's-mid-40's of any stripe, particularly folks with (primarily) N and I in their types. There are plenty of those folks who are INTPs, but there are also quite a few INTJs, INFJs, and INFPs in the mix.

There are also plenty of self-described INTPs that make me cringe. Particularly the immature ones (of any age).

Me either. I'm not anti-authority, I'm just indifferent to the point of going along if I think it will be useful to do so and only pushing back if I have a clear reason to do so. For too many, it comes off as a "chip on the shoulder" kind of thing.

:solidarity:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I usually relate to ENFPs. Although it depends for me; I don't identify with ENFPs who are social for the sake of being social. Yes, I'm a social person but I am because I want to find people who I can have close relationships with. :shrug: They may go to social outings all the time when I'd prefer to stay at home and just do my own thing. I'd prefer to indulge in what I want rather than just be with people 24/7 because that sounds like madness to me. Then again, I can't pinpoint their internal motivations so they could be a lot like me and I just don't see it.

I also tend to identify with other ENFPs if they laugh a lot because I laugh a lot. Too easily amused, I guess. :blush: Not sure which fictional ENFPs I relate to, but it'd probably be someone like Izzie from Grey's Anatomy (all the Fi intensity) or Phoebe from Friends (extreme Ne quirkiness and not a total social butterfly but still socially functioning). Both white blonde girls, go figure. :laugh:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have considered type 9 as a core type in the past. It's true that I tend to be rather conflict avoidant. I guess one key way in which I differ from core 9's is that I while I avoid conflict if I can, I'm not inclined to just sweep problems under the rug and think if I just wait it out it will go away. I've done a type 5 v.s. type 9 typing thread in the past and from feedback, I ended up settling on type 5. I do have a strong 9w1 trifix point though. Also, when you look at the triads. 9 is positive outlook, 5 is competency. I relate far more to competency. 9 is gut and 5 is head. I relate more to the head group. 5 is in the rejection triad, 9 is the attachment triad. Again, I identify more with the rejection.

You say you don't identify much with me. There are other factors too such as MBTI type- INTJ v.s. INTP and variants sx/sp v.s. sp/so and socionics types. ILI vs LII.

But I know an LII 5w6 so/sp and she's different from you. Do you see what you did here? You weren't looking at the problem in depth like 5s do, but instead you explain that you superficially relate more to type 5 than 9 but you actually don't show how it's true in terms of theory. One thing that is common with type 9, especially Fe types, is their need to relate to other people rather than seeing themselves and they try to fit themselves in other people's image. I have a strong 8 fix too but the important thing here is that I don't see myself as an 8, not because I don't relate because I do, but because I know that my motivations don't line up.

There is also a 5 on PerC who is 9-fixed sp/so and ISTJ, but again, this person still clearly emits the intensity of 5 power seek. I honestly don't see this from you at all. If anything there's this lulling attitude of needing to get along that is common from type 9 Fe types. I'm on the phone so I can explain more later.