• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe a tragic function.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Fe is by way of extensive social connections, perhaps the most tragic of the 8 cognitive functions. Why do I say this?

Because of all of them, it is the one which appears to rely strongest on the presence of others of the same attitude. This creates some elements that others have claimed are of benefit, such as knowing the social cues necessary to interact with others inoffensively and the ability to become well liked and curry social favour with others.

However this still relies entirely upon the environment of Fe around the individual. Such a person can find that, with their attitude running almost counter to that of critical thought and in unhealthy persons running to active suppression of critical thought inside and out, they are very much like a mirror only to their outward image and social groupings.

What happens when that structure and environment are removed?

This is why the strength of the function and by relation the strength of suppression of Ti causes a peculiar effect of lack of identity, especially if the Fe of the individual is dominant.

So instead they lash out, crudely and rudely, suddenly all pretense to politeness and social graces is thrown and cast aside. They are now lost in a sea of miserable misunderstandings, all of which languish just outside of the reach of conscious control.....a position most frustrating to dom or aux Fe individuals. The motive then becomes to try and control the outward social flow even more, becoming manipulative and belligerent, ironically running counter to the very image they usually present.

But this is the tragedy, for they do not actively seek out their dominant function, as no type does, but they are stuck with it for an entire lifetime and it is a lifetime of living through emotional reactions, charges and group understandings, but until a bump is thrown in their life strong enough for them to engage with the suppressed inferior, they will never garner any deeper comprehension of their own being.

Sad isn't it? To be born to life in a cloud of mush....where awakening is only triggered by pain.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Beautiful.

This is why the strength of the function and by relation the strength of suppression of Ti causes a peculiar effect of lack of identity, especially if the Fe of the individual is dominant.
images

jixmixfix

Permabanned

So instead they lash out, crudely and rudely, suddenly all pretense to politeness and social graces is thrown and cast aside. They are now lost in a sea of miserable misunderstandings, all of which languish just outside of the reach of conscious control.....a position most frustrating to dom or aux Fe individuals. The motive then becomes to try and control the outward social flow even more, becoming manipulative and belligerent, ironically running counter to the very image they usually present.

But this is the tragedy, for they do not actively seek out their dominant function, as no type does, but they are stuck with it for an entire lifetime and it is a lifetime of living through emotional reactions, charges and group understandings, but until a bump is thrown in their life strong enough for them to engage with the suppressed inferior, they will never garner any deeper comprehension of their own being.

Sad isn't it? To be born to life in a cloud of mush....where awakening is only triggered by pain.

Fe, the function I'm horrible at and can give 2 shits about lol.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think I'm generally a lasher-outer. I figure if the interaction is unpleasant enough to make my want to lash out, there isn't much reason to continue it. Life is too damn short and I could be doing something I enjoy.

But despite my terrible Fe handicap, I have managed to build and maintain a handful good and strong relationships and I don't feel as though I would be incapable of doing so in the futre. If I find out I'm wrong about this, I've always got my books and there is always a dog looking for a home. It'll be okay.

G

garbage

I can't say that I relate. I don't have a constant social circle, and social circles (and thereby social flows) have never forged my identity.

People disagree and conflict on things. Some people are easier to relate to than others. Politeness isn't a given in every single interpersonal situation, nor should it be.

On the ol' Greenlight Wiki site, there was a discussion as to whether an Fe-wielder could survive alone on an island. Sadly enough, the consensus was "no." I'm very much tempted to provide empirical evidence to the contrary.. I just need a boat.

Standuble

Never mind eh? Both the feeling functions are tragic and bullshit. Feelers are a blight on humanity and without them it could have ascended to heights of technological greatness long ago. The universe doesn't play favourites or value one scientific principle over another. In the end, it is a maladaptive phenomenon which needs to be plunged into the abyss of history.

On the bright side you only have at most another 75 years to go. Not long at all on a galactic timeline.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Never mind eh? Both the feeling functions are tragic and bullshit. Feelers are a blight on humanity and without them it could have ascended to heights of technological greatness long ago. The universe doesn't play favourites or value one scientific principle over another. In the end, it is a maladaptive phenomenon which needs to be plunged into the abyss of history.

On the bright side you only have at most another 75 years to go. Not long at all on a galactic timeline.

As usual you get it! :D

Although with my chest I think more like 50-60 years I am 24 after all, perhaps no more than 30-40.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh! the drama! the tragedy! the suffering!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

A true follower of the Sith ways gives 'nothing' for free. It must be earned through competition. It's this struggle that will break our chains.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
You know...I'm not really sure I understand Fe all that well.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At least it's a fake tragedy. There's some comfort in that.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know what you mean, but I think it's something other than Fe. Not yet sure what, and if anyone else thinks they can finish this thought, please do.

G

Glycerine

Well, it may have an element of truth but it doesn't shake my whole being or existence. In my mind, Fe is just a tool which I can choose to engage or disengage. I have my own thoughts/values outside of my dominant Fe so it's not like my whole identity revolves around the social aspect/people. In fact, people drain me when I feel compelled to constantly factor in their input. Half of me really does care about the social protocol/making people feel good, comfortable, understood but the other half really doesn't give a shit.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fe is by way of extensive social connections, perhaps the most tragic of the 8 cognitive functions. Why do I say this?...
I'm not sure I followed everything in the OP, but I think I agree with its overall sentiment. I have often thought that life can be more difficult for extroverts in general who need more social connection because those needs are in part outside their control. A person who needs many friends is dependent on the reaction of others, and we each have a limited ability to determine this. Is that part of what you are saying in your post?

I find it is one of the more difficult aspects of my personality because I absorb the emotional and subjective nature of my environment very strongly. This results in me having to figure out how to change environments until I find something I can live with longer-term. This costs me a great deal in terms of money because I get physically sick in most competitive environments. I find it is difficult because I need a connection with others, but am also easily overwhelmed by other people. I find Fe as a function to be filled with conflicted needs, so it is difficult to achieve a sense of peace within and around oneself.

If my subjective/emotional input is overwhelmed for long enough, I can lose a sense of my own self and identity. When I am in environments where the values and assumptions are expressed as disrespect towards myself, my sense of self begins to warp. That is why competitive environments are like poison to me because everyone is pushing their perceptions of self-aggrandizement, their deep insecurities and needs upon each other. It feels like a room stuffed full of balloons all pressing their ideas of reality upon each other. It becomes a complete mess and the distraction, the nausea, dizziness, and body aches that result within me are like feeling all that negative energy at once.

Because of that people will sometimes see me as weak or lacking courage, but then be shocked when I can support a rape survivor during a PTSD episode during medical procedures that address the parts of her body that were attacked. The reason I can handle almost unimaginably intense individual emotional trauma in others is because I have had to face such putrified bucket-loads of negative energy in competitive environments. I suspect that if people w/o Fe actually saw everything in their environments that they wouldn't be able to handle it any better than I do. Blindness is bliss.