• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rate the functions per their comfort levels in time of stress

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yes, I'm asking you to rate the MBTI-related cognitive functions per level of comfort they give to you in times of stress.

For example, I'm pretty fond of regular things AND random, insightful things when I'm in good condition. But, when I'm slightly sick, like running a low fewer, I probably like to do something crazy or just do almost nothing at all. But, when I'm running a high fewer, I just want to regulate everything I do and do everything very regularly with minimum amount of surprises and maximum amount of harmony, repetition and the least amount of surprises or action.

Hence, for a time when none of my ability is impaired, I prefer functions Te - do something. Ti, think of something. Se - experience it! Ne - imagine it!

When some of my ability is impaired because of an ilness, I'm most probably Ti- think of it! concentrate on it. Ne, imagination all the way! Fe/FI.. let's feel it.

When I'm greatly impaired, as in high fever, other ilness etc I'm most probably Si .. let's do this thing. Ti.. Yes, this thing involves these ideas. Fi. I feel lousy. Ni. This is a usual condition for a human.

So, all in all, I'd say that Si is my comfort function.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Älkää vainotko mua teidän rölli-metsästysten johdosta kiitos

background information: I'm currently running a fever and my cognitive abilities are very much impaired. I'm seeking comfort from repeating some familiar procedures (Si) and something else. I'm just curious to know what activity is anyone's comfort function in time's of stress.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think under stress i introvert into Ni-Ti. Everything else is burdensome.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm rarely if ever comfortable, but I am most stressed in a rut of repetition where I cannot see a new eventuality unfolding.

In these cases I tend to keep my emotionality bottled up even more than usual and instead I try to retreat into myself to identify the source or reason for my discomfort since 9/10 times it stems from my approach and way of thinking in a situation.
However I've been surprised lately by how I cannot find a rational cause for my discomfort and my thinking feels clear and unburdened, but the emotions get in the way.

It seems to stem from not allowing myself to enjoy the present moment and always holding myself in preparation for events yet to come, that will come, not an abstract notion or anything, merely literal planned events.

I feel at my most comfortable when there are no responsibilities and I can enjoy the activities I like for once.

I don't know what I can extrapolate from this other than I am still immature in my thinking. Function wise I could not say since context changes everything and the how is more important to process than the surface of what that behaviour appears to be..

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't believe that we use can use functions in isolation, and I don't believe we use all 8 functions, so maybe I'm not qualified to play :smile:

In times of stress nothing gives me comfort because it means two things: either I know what to do and am not doing it, or I don't know what to do. If it's the first thing, nothing relieves the stress until I do what I'm supposed to do. If it's the latter, only a New Age strand of 'letting go' can help.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NeFi is what I use in all situations and NiFe for back up, though in prolonged situations of stress, I'll use Te to just take the edge off (and clean shit, organize trivial stuff etc) and Si to either help give my mind a break or get Fi more info. Se and Ti just create more stress and are uncomfortable for the most part, unless I actively, willingly and consciously shift to them (and therefore make sure I am patient with myself during the activity and there are no other stressors).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I turn Si/Fi when sick.