• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi users and not apologizing

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
So, after learning some socionics, I've learned that Fi often ASSUMES the internal state of other people, while Fe needs to hear it in an objective fashion.

Simultaneously, I notice that Fe users tend to appologize much more readily than Fi users.

I recently was hitting on an ESFP. I told her she was attractive at one point. She then flipped and went princess on me. She was eating a salad out of a styrofoam bowl, and when she was done, held the bowl up to my face and said, "can you throw this away for me?"

I looked at her feeling pain from what she said, and responded, "because I'm such a nice fucking guy." I took her tray and threw it out for her and didn't speak to her for a month.

She started to realize that I had no intention of speaking to her ever again. I door slammed her. She started getting upset and anytime I was near she'd look at me a lot and make faces of concern. I don't know what emotion it was specifically. Some sort of remorse, guilt, something.

She's never appologized. I haven't bothered asking her to either. Last time I asked an esfp to appologize to me was a disaster.

So now she's super nice to me. So, in general Fi user fashion, I'm assuming this is her way of apologizing. I've had an INTJ appologize to me once when he started cleaning my room and asking me how my day was etc. I had an ENTJ appologize to me by looking at the floor and stating things awkwardly. So I assume its something similar with ESFP.

So now I'm wondering, is she actually sorry? Do Fi users need to appologize? Or should I just assume it?

From my perspective, the lack of an apology seems like a blatant form of selfishness, as if being right is more important than whatever else is on her mind. What do you think? What is going on in her mind? Why do Fi users do this? Is there something about their ego that prevents them from apologizing?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, after learning some socionics, I've learned that Fi often ASSUMES the internal state of other people, while Fe needs to hear it in an objective fashion.

Simultaneously, I notice that Fe users tend to appologize much more readily than Fi users.

I recently was hitting on an ESFP. I told her she was attractive at one point. She then flipped and went princess on me. She was eating a salad out of a styrofoam bowl, and when she was done, held the bowl up to my face and said, "can you throw this away for me?"

I looked at her feeling pain from what she said, and responded, "because I'm such a nice fucking guy." I took her tray and threw it out for her and didn't speak to her for a month.

She started to realize that I had no intention of speaking to her ever again. I door slammed her. She started getting upset and anytime I was near she'd look at me a lot and make faces of concern. I don't know what emotion it was specifically. Some sort of remorse, guilt, something.

She's never appologized. I haven't bothered asking her to either. Last time I asked an esfp to appologize to me was a disaster.

So now she's super nice to me. So, in general Fi user fashion, I'm assuming this is her way of apologizing. I've had an INTJ appologize to me once when he started cleaning my room and asking me how my day was etc. I had an ENTJ appologize to me by looking at the floor and stating things awkwardly. So I assume its something similar with ESFP.

So now I'm wondering, is she actually sorry? Do Fi users need to appologize? Or should I just assume it?

From my perspective, the lack of an apology seems like a blatant form of selfishness, as if being right is more important than whatever else is on her mind. What do you think? What is going on in her mind? Why do Fi users do this? Is there something about their ego that prevents them from apologizing?

This might be a behavior pattern she's not even really aware of, in terms of why she resorts to it, or how it might be offensive to others.
To assume she's aware that there's something offensive about that request isn't entirely fair (though I'll agree, it'd irk me, depending on delivery).

Not speaking to her for a month doesn't really seem like it'd solve anything. Neither does asking for an apology outright. I mean, if someone lacks the insight to recognize they've done something to bother you- regardless of whether one might choose to believe they "should know better," perhaps- the reality is, she may have no idea. The request for an apology would probably blindside her, & make her feel attacked, & as a result less receptive to any further feedback on your part.

Sure, no matter how you spin it, ESFP's can be rather reactive- in the moment. However, they do get over it quickly- & will [albeit begrudgingly at times] admit when they're wrong, & apologize. This process is facilitated though, by giving them direct feedback of what YOU feel about a behavior, & that you care enough to tell them how this makes you feel, plainly. Perhaps it's speaking Fi-to-Fi. I'm not sure. I just know it can be effective in terms of truly communicating with xSFP's (& some other Fi users), & not setting off their defenses as much. "When someone does _____, I feel _______, because __________." Little things that remain unsaid can go a long way. When you respond by expressing feelings (your remark/not speaking to her), vs discussing them, it can lead to just a series of the two of you emotionally reacting to one another without addressing what's transpired.

She could be making faces out of hurt/confusion. Trying to read you. She may understand she's done something to make you step back, but she's unsure what/doesn't want to or doesn't think to ask. Sure, being nice is her way of trying to make amends, maybe- but it's hard to actually get an apology when she may not know what to apologize for. Personally, I don't see the point in making people guess. Sometimes things appear terribly obvious in a certain context to one party, but the other party needs it clearly spelled out for them to really grasp what you're feeling. Giving a snarky reply to her request that bothered you may not have adequately illustrated to her what specifically set you off & why. Being upfront isn't always comfortable, or clean, but at least everyone ultimately knows where things stand.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Sorry about that.

Sincerely
Fi User

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
lol... [MENTION=3712]Quinlan[/MENTION]

yeah [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]... you could be right. I should probably talk to her about it. I assumed she knew that it urked me because immediately after it happened she said, "Its ok... I'll let you sleep with my... sister" or something ridiculous. I don't know wtf happened. My experience with Fi has been that its always very suggestive but never direct.

At one point I told her it pissed me off when she takes my ipod out of the stereo and puts hers in without really consulting me. She responded with, "Yeah... sorry, but not really." So I took her ipod and threw it across the room (and cracked the screen) and she got the message.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]... you could be right. I should probably talk to her about it. I assumed she knew that it urked me because immediately after it happened she said, "Its ok... I'll let you sleep with my... sister" or something ridiculous. I don't know wtf happened. My experience with Fi has been that its always very suggestive but never direct.

Yeah, it seems Fi works that way, through a lot of internalizing, in a manner of speaking. I'd say it's more reactive/expressive, which can be taken as suggestive, but not particularly direct. Fe can do this in its own way, too. Either feeling function equally runs the risk of misinterpreting what is going on with the other person, imo. I don't know what function breaking it down in plain english relates to, but it's been effective for me, with Fi people (& with Si/Fe people, too). It seems redundant at times, but it helps, providing the atmosphere is calm when you approach the topic.

So I took her ipod and threw it across the room and she got the message.

:laugh: ESTPs. Bahah.

(sorry)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Am I wrong to attribute this to Fi/Fe difference? or am I just dealing with people who don't care about what I think?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What reason would an Fi dom not apologize?

Aside from being unaware of what to apologize for, precisely - I've noticed that if you sufficiently ''flip out on them'' - they don't respond well. They're upset they were yelled at, & soforth. It can become the more immediate focus in the conflict for them. They'll stubbornly wait for you to apologize to them/initiate discussion.

I've observed this dynamic unfold with an ISFJ / ISFP couple..numerous times.

ISFP does something that upsets the ISFJ.
ISFJ assumes he should know, may give some silent treatment, or try to brush it under the rug initially.

ISFP's behavior repeats.
ISFJ bottles it up on a shelf of resentment.

Shelf finally collapses, she flips her shit at him the next time he does it - going as far as listing EVERY instance he's committed the offence (dratted Si).
ISFP is dumbfounded, overwhelmed by the list, and offended by the harshness of her delivery.

Both give one another silent treatment for extended periods, waiting for the other to apologize. ISFJ wants the apology because she expects him to know this behavior was inherently offensive, is annoyed she had to explain it to him/may even think because she had to that he doesn't care about her. ISFP wants the apology because he's just had a fucking grenade go off when he was just doin' his thing, feels attacked and perhaps insecure about what's just gone on.

It's the most tedious garbage ever.

The dynamic may vary from type to type, of course. Not to mention, the above example is of two rather emotionally underdeveloped people, so it's a bit extreme.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Yeah but how is an ISFP that fucking oblivious? I'm having difficulty believing they're really that fucking oblivious that when they do something, and the other person curses and sulks off...

I mean, I'd understand ISFJ's bottle everything up. But I'm an ESTP. I don't bottle anything up. When I get pissed off, it shows. People think I'm guilt tripping them simply with my body language. My shoulders sink and I just kinda get lethargic and quiet when my feelings are hurt.

Castameare

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

She started to realize that I had no intention of speaking to her ever again. I door slammed her.

so did i understand this right
you complimented her on her looks, then she asked you to throw something away for her, you did it, but it irked you and then you just completely stopped speaking with her for a month? i pick up some 'just because if find you attractive i won't turn into a little bimbo for you' undertone.

sorry but wouldn't it make more sense to tell her that you are not her housemaid and she has to functional legs so she can go and throw that stuff away by herself, if it irks you that much, instead of saying nothing, stop talking with her for a month and then kinda want an excuse. i mean excuse for what? sorry but if someone would do that with me, i wouldn't even have a clue what's fucking going on and if this person would demand an apology for something minor that happened like a a month ago sorry but NO

i think you just don't like being shoved into the bimbo - nice - guy corner (like some steoreotypic lad who does everything for a girl bc he finds her attractive) and you assume that she does that with you. but nobody really knows bc you haven't talked with her about it

and you think this has anything to do with Fi and Fe or Feeling whatsoever?
you can't be serious

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah but how is an ISFP that fucking oblivious?

I think when it comes to introverted functions, there's always a degree of self-centeredness involved. Perhaps with Fi it can be more apparent, at times. I'm not trying to say Fi people are self-centered or narcissists, by any means. However, I think you mentioned- Fi can assume the internal state of another person- and I think often they use their own values/emotional reactions/associations to make these assumptions. Sometimes it's wrong, sometimes they may make you realize things about yourself you didn't readily see. Kinda hit or miss. The point is, though, the assumptions they make when relating can be drawn from their own sets of feelings- so, sometimes they'll have blind spots, if that makes sense (I think every type, & function, has its blind spot.. some share the same ones, but simply process/illustrate it differently).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you can't be serious

I think Feeling/emotions have everything to do with a scenario like this. Emotional languages- our own, as well that those of others- are messy when it comes to translating/interpreting.

You actually point out some of that Fe/Fi divide in your post. His assumptions, her assumptions. Ours. His expectations, her expectations. Fi or Fe, it's all emotional dynamics in the end that need to be addressed.. and.. if you read the ongoing thread.. you'd see he agreed that talking with her would be a good idea.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
so did i understand this right
you complimented her on her looks, then she asked you to throw something away for her, you did it, but it irked you and then you just completely stopped speaking with her for a month? i pick up some 'just because if find you attractive i won't turn into a little bimbo for you' undertone.

sorry but wouldn't it make more sense to tell her that you are not her housemaid and she has to functional legs so she can go and throw that stuff away by herself, if it irks you that much, instead of saying nothing, stop talking with her for a month and then kinda want an excuse. i mean excuse for what? sorry but if someone would do that with me, i wouldn't even have a clue what's fucking going on and if this person would demand an apology for something minor that happened like a a month ago sorry but NO

i think you just don't like being shoved into the bimbo - nice - guy corner (like some steoreotypic lad who does everything for a girl bc he finds her attractive) and you assume that she does that with you. but nobody really knows bc you haven't talked with her about it

you can't be serious

Well there was more to it than that. First I glared at her for 3 whole seconds. Then I looked at the plate. Then I cursed and said, "Because I"m such a nice fucking guy." and left.

I feel like, if anyone has a pair of eyes and a brain they'd know what just happened.

Also, its not that I'm being shoved into the "nice guy" corner, its that her respect for me completely dropped. I felt disrespected. Perhaps this means the same thing. I'd rather be viewed as her equal and not her servant. Considering we've been joking with each other for the last 4 months, this came completely out of nowhere.

So is she really that oblivious to me? I find it very difficult, especially for a feeler, to be that oblivious to when they hurt someone's feelings. ESPECIALLY when my feelings are hurt. I have to hide my negative feelings from everyone at all times, because I can singlehandedly lower the emotions of an entire room. I am cursed with having my hand on the emotional volume dial at all times in almost all situations.

wolfy

awsm
I don't apologize much, but I might make you a sandwich or something. Maybe.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I've known this girl for 5 months then she pulls this crap out of NOWHERE. I wasn't expecting it.

Castameare

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well there was more to it than that. First I glared at her for 3 whole seconds. Then I looked at the plate. Then I cursed and said, "Because I"m such a nice fucking guy." and left.

I feel like, if anyone has a pair of eyes and a brain they'd know what just happened.

Also, its not that I'm being shoved into the "nice guy" corner, its that her respect for me completely dropped. I felt disrespected. Perhaps this means the same thing. I'd rather be viewed as her equal and not her servant. Considering we've been joking with each other for the last 4 months, this came completely out of nowhere.

because she asked you to throw something away for her? or were there other things?
well in order not to be dragged into any long winded discussion about what people think how Fe Fi whatever played a role in this(if they even have played a role), i will conclude by saying, if you don't like to take this damn bowl than say it and explain if she doesn't get it, if you feel like she doesn't show you any respect talk to her and listen to what she has to say about it
i think that's better than cutting of contact, shoving this problem into some theoretical MBTI Fi Fe usw. problem area

and yes i don't think that was Fe Fi whatsoever

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
because she asked you to throw something away for her? or were there other things?
well in order not to be dragged into any long winded discussion about what people think how Fe Fi whatever played a role in this(if they even have played a role), i will conclude by saying, if you don't like to take this damn bowl than say it and explain if she doesn't get it, if you feel like she doesn't show you any respect talk to her and listen to what she has to say about it
i think that's better than cutting of contact, shoving this problem into some theoretical MBTI Fi Fe usw. problem area

and yes i don't think that was Fe Fi whatsoever

Its obvious I should have stood up for myself. But I was too dumbfounded to say anything because we've been perfect friends for the last 5 months with no hitches. I didn't post this story so you could lecture me on how to behave in society. Take a moment to comprehend this post with your fucking fantastic "Ni".

Last edited: