• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Problem With JCF (If You Are Scared Of Change, Don't Read This!)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
john betts is an zürich trained jungian analyst.

i didnt care to go through all books and articles from jung to search one quote(you apparently did, as you claim that the quote doesent exist), so i just looked up a quote which i remember where it is. i suggest you to go learn more jung and it will become obvious to you too. i think most people will see it as obvious that if something is organized and is a part of a bigger system, the organized part can be called a structure within the bigger system. seriously im starting to doubt whether you are an INTP or not, because this sort of logic should come naturally for INTP..

You're assuming that archetypes are pre-organized, but organizing is functional. Archetypes are no more than empty forms waiting to be filled with content, thus lending them organization. Learn the distinction between form and structure.

"In this sense Plato sees the idea [archetype] as a primordial image of things, while Kant defines it as the 'archetype of the use of the mind.' (548) Both Kant and Plato were concerned with forms of things, although transcendentally, in opposite senses.

And while it's true that even the imagination cannot roam the infinite, but "remains bound to the preformed possibilities, the primordial images or archetypes," (378) those are merely formal conditions, not structures in the mind.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
And I learned mathematics through sensation. So what? We couldn't get along very well in life without sensation: eyes, ears, nose, skin, tongue. Yours is a non-point that speaks only to normal human physiology.

Are you sure that the learning process came through sensation and that it wasnt just sensation that triggered a thinking process(concrete thinking). One thing i have noticed about Ti vs Te users is that Te users learn easily just from hearing the problem, for example with mathematics, they just need to memorize the mathematical functions and they can do math just fine using the knowledge. But often Ti users dont learn this way so easily and need to understand the underlying reason behind the mathematical function -> just memorizing the functions without understanding the reason for why that function works the way it does isnt that easy.

As I said, if all you're talking about is physiological sensation, it's a non-point, and it's unworthy of being stated in the same context as Jung's revolutionary theory.

u sure?

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception." -Jung 'psychological types'

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure that the learning process came through sensation and that it wasnt just sensation that triggered a thinking process(concrete thinking). One thing i have noticed about Ti vs Te users is that Te users learn easily just from hearing the problem, for example with mathematics, they just need to memorize the mathematical functions and they can do math just fine using the knowledge. But often Ti users dont learn this way so easily and need to understand the underlying reason behind the mathematical function -> just memorizing the functions without understanding the reason for why that function works the way it does isnt that easy.

That's a side issue based on something you noticed. It's not that I disagree with it, in fact it seems valid enough. But it has nothing to do with the debate at hand. I could add my own observation that Te types are interested in knowledge (memorized or learned) that serves an external purpose. Ti types are interested in knowledge that serves some subjective purpose that may or may not be known to the Ti type.

u sure?

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception." -Jung 'psychological types'

Yes I'm sure it's not a revolutionary thought. Obviously psychologists have to deal with the idea of physiological sensation at some point. It simply forms no part of this particular discussion. Sensation only informs. What matters to the discussion is that Te is interested in (or even psychologically compelled by) external (objective) concretes, or (objective) ideas such as traditions, in contrast with Ti that is not interested in these things but primarily in subjective content.

I know what you're doing: you're trying desperately to save your original point which was wrong.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're assuming that archetypes are pre-organized, but organizing is functional. Archetypes are no more than empty forms waiting to be filled with content, thus lending them organization. Learn the distinction between form and structure.

"In this sense Plato sees the idea [archetype] as a primordial image of things, while Kant defines it as the 'archetype of the use of the mind.' (548) Both Kant and Plato were concerned with forms of things, although transcendentally, in opposite senses.

And while it's true that even the imagination cannot roam the infinite, but "remains bound to the preformed possibilities, the primordial images or archetypes," (378) those are merely formal conditions, not structures in the mind.

how can there be form if there is no structure? also archetypes are seen as patterns, how can there be pattern if there is no structure?

you are just talking shit cuz annoyed since
I'm feeling rather sick and weak at the moment
or maybe thats all you got.

I know what you're doing: you're trying desperately to save your original point which was wrong.

nice projection. prove me wrong or fuck off with your retarded crap

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how can there be form if there is no structure? also archetypes are seen as patterns, how can there be pattern if there is no structure?

you are just talking shit cuz annoyed since or maybe thats all you got.

nice projection. prove me wrong or fuck off with your retarded crap

Since you're getting angry already I'll cut you a break. When you said "sensations" and "concretes" back at the beginning of this, what you meant to say was "objective." Because that's the only way to make sense of your gibberish.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's a side issue based on something you noticed. It's not that I disagree with it, in fact it seems valid enough. But it has nothing to do with the debate at hand. I could add my own observation that Te types are interested in knowledge (memorized or learned) that serves an external purpose. Ti types are interested in knowledge that serves some subjective purpose that may or may not be known to the Ti type.

Yes I'm sure it's not a revolutionary thought. Obviously psychologists have to deal with the idea of physiological sensation at some point. It simply forms no part of this particular discussion. Sensation only informs. What matters to the discussion is that Te is interested in (or even psychologically compelled by) external (objective) concretes, or (objective) ideas such as traditions, in contrast with Ti that is not interested in these things but only in subjective content.

again you are just arguing cuz feeling sick. you said that jungs idea of sensation is something beyond the act of perceiving physical stimuli, which isnt true. now when S is extraverted or introverted, it adds to the concept, but as i mentioned before, extraverted functions are oriented by sensation, sensation is what connects the function to the external world. also like mentioned Je can use other objective measures than just being led by sensation, for example what was taught at school or passed on by tradition.

and my example has very much to do with the argument, its funny that you cant see it.

now go cry to your mommy or something about being sick, i dont care to argue with you since your arguing isnt even motivated the the subject at hand, but by your bad feelings, which is making you pretty damn irrational and not worthy of arguing against.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Since you're getting angry already I'll cut you a break. When you said "sensations" and "concretes" back at the beginning of this, what you mean to say was "objective." Because that's the only way to make sense of your gibberish.

sensation is a way of connecting to the objective realm, learn the basics

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
again you are just arguing cuz feeling sick. you said that jungs idea of sensation is something beyond the act of perceiving physical stimuli, which isnt true. now when S is extraverted or introverted, it adds to the concept, but as i mentioned before, extraverted functions are oriented by sensation, sensation is what connects the function to the external world. also like mentioned Je can use other objective measures than just being led by sensation, for example what was taught at school or passed on by tradition.

and my example has very much to do with the argument, its funny that you cant see it.

now go cry to your mommy or something about being sick,

i dont care to argue with you since your arguing isnt even motivated the the subject at hand, but by your bad feelings, which is making you pretty damn irrational and not worthy of arguing against.

Speculative.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sensation is a way of connecting to the objective realm, learn the basics

Duh. The discussion isn't about "connecting" to the objective realm. It never was. You mispoke by calling the objective side "concretes" and "sensations," when in fact that would limit Te's auxiliary function to Sensing.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You mispoke by calling the objective side "concretes" and "sensations," when in fact that would limit Te's auxiliary function to Sensing.

lol no, if you had actually read what i wrote and read jungs descriptions, you would understand that it isnt true. also its funny that you still havent learned that all types use all four functions of thinking, sensing, feeling and intuition. or maybe you have learned that but arent able to think straight. as a reminder; INTJs are Te aux and have inferior Se, ENFPs have tert Te and inferior Si etc etc ISFPs have aux aux Se and inferior Te........

seriously, are you just playing dumb?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol no, if you had actually read what i wrote and read jungs descriptions, you would understand that it isnt true. also its funny that you still havent learned that all types use all four functions of thinking, sensing, feeling and intuition. or maybe you have learned that but arent able to think straight. as a reminder; INTJs are Te aux and have inferior Se, ENFPs have tert Te and inferior Si etc etc ISFPs have aux aux Se and inferior Te........

seriously, are you just playing dumb?

You made a mistake. It's dangerous to make mistakes with me. Because I will correct you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You made a mistake. It's dangerous to make mistakes with me. Because I will correct you.

point out the mistake and give proofs that its a mistake while i go buy some food and eat

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've already done all this.

no you havent. all you said was some idea of yours which isnt supported by jung or jungian analysts.

it kinda sucks when someone isnt capable of understanding what is said and i need to quote same text again, now try to pay closer attention.

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

"Thinking in general is fed from two sources, firstly from subjective and in the last resort unconscious roots, and secondly from objective data transmitted through sense perceptions. Extraverted thinking is conditioned in a larger measure by these latter factors than by the former. judgment always presupposes a criterion ; for the extraverted judgment, the valid and determining criterion is the standard taken from objective conditions, no matter whether this be directly represented by an objectively perceptible fact, or expressed in an objective idea."

and in case you are trying to argue that Te isnt just oriented by sensation(isnt concrete), i already addressed that too, but ill explain again. concretism of thinking isnt solely something that Te does, concretism is a general term for orienting according to sensation and this can happen to Ti too, but with Ti its abstracting from sensation, not going back to it like Te does. also Te can deal with objective ideas, like use ideas that were passed on from tradition etc.

"The criterion of judgment, therefore, as to whether or no a thinking is extraverted, hangs directly upon the question: by which standard is its judgment governed—is it furnished from without, or is its origin subjective? A further criterion is afforded by the direction of the thinker's conclusion, namely, whether or no the thinking has a preferential direction outwards. It is no proof of its extraverted nature that it is preoccupied with concrete objects, since I may be engaging my thoughts with a concrete object, either because I am abstracting my thought from it or because I am concretizing my thought with it. Even if I engage my thinking with concrete things, and to that extent could be described as extraverted, it yet remains both questionable and characteristic as regards the direction my thinking will take; namely, whether in its further course it leads back again to objective data, external facts, and generally accepted ideas, or not."

do you still disagree with what i said, if so, tell me why and not just say that you already debunked what i said, because you obviously didnt and if you read the quotes, it should be obvious to you that what i said is according to what jung said and if you disagree with what i said, your thoughts about this issue doesent go hand to hand with jungs ideas.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes she is. And you're pretty must just giving a meta-view of the discussion. There must be a little bit of mod left in you. However, I made the time to write that OP while the flu was kicking in for real, even though I desperately wanted not to write it then. Yet you don't have the time to read the discussion in detail.

haha... once a mod, always a mod, and remember I'm a "modder" of three teenagers too. ;) It doesn't go away, it changes you forever.

Honestly, I can make a list of 20 priorities in my life right now that revolve around work, my kids, house maintenance, local friends, personal projects, my own mental and physical health, etc., that explain why I don't have any extra brain power to devote to a thread argument that seems to be going nowhere than what I've already invested, in something tangential to my life... but I don't really even want to invest the brain power in that. Just don't assume that I'm "wrong" in the big picture stuff simply because I'm skimming.

I thought it might have been something worse than the flu because of chest pain. I haven't had the flu in a long, long time. The family and I got flu shots last September, so there must be some wild strain out there. If it's bird flu I'll have to control the urge to start flapping my arms.

Here is something I do mean as a kindness to you: Do like I'm doing, for today -- do yourself a favor, drop out of the discussion for awhile, and get some rest. It sounds like you're kind of stuck in a particular way of seeing, and your body and mind needs rest, so it can get healthy again. Maybe when you heal up, you can come back with renewed energy and flexibility of thought / additional clarity on the topic.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Puer is an archetype, which is an imaginal feature of the collective unconscious. When personalized, the archetype becomes a complex. But it can be personalized in different ways. So yes, your description (Where the whole person fits the archetype) is one way, and Beebe's observation (where it's a complex everyone has, which connects with the tertiary) is another way.

"Imaginal feature."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem in the OP, IMO, is viewing functions as traits rather than thought process or mindsets or even EGOS.
The personality traits used in the MBTI tests are common indicators, not the functions in themselves.

Also, Pi & Pe are very different. Pi types are described as having an inner spontaneity, but not an outer one. Outside they can look "fruitless" according to Jung. Jung's primary divide for psychological types was the I/E aspect, after all.

As a Ji-dom, Je is foreign to me. Ji is said to hardly look like the common view of "judging" (Lenore Thompson, I believe). It's not just the
"Pe face" that does this, but the nature of Ji itself. That is why the person must repress Je in favor of Ji.

I woud say that the qualities associated with MBTI J types is due to the dynamic of Pi + Je in people, the way they work off each other. The inferior tends to be experienced as something outside the ego, meaning others may see it frequently in you, but it doesn't feel like you to you. You experience it as not yourself or don't like to admit those traits; you try to repress it. This is why Pi types are less likely to type as P in MBTI because P is defined by Pe, using inferior traits they don't "own".

As for the influence of the tertiary, the reason why it's viewed in terms of loops is because of an idea of balance. However, that Nardi experiment seems to suggest people use their tertiary a lot, so much so they can look almost indistinguishable from their near-opposite type (ie. INTJ & ISFP). This might explain some common mistypings, such as why a lot of ISFPs may mistype as Ns, etc.

There is not enough "meat" to tertiary theory to make it solid. "Balance." Ok. So what real purpose does this serve for a particular type?

"Also, Pi & Pe are very different. Pi types are described as having an inner spontaneity, but not an outer one."

Nor is there "meat" to the idea of "inner spontaneity." What does this really mean?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no you havent. all you said was some idea of yours which isnt supported by jung or jungian analysts.

it kinda sucks when someone isnt capable of understanding what is said and i need to quote same text again, now try to pay closer attention.

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

"Thinking in general is fed from two sources, firstly from subjective and in the last resort unconscious roots, and secondly from objective data transmitted through sense perceptions. Extraverted thinking is conditioned in a larger measure by these latter factors than by the former. judgment always presupposes a criterion ; for the extraverted judgment, the valid and determining criterion is the standard taken from objective conditions, no matter whether this be directly represented by an objectively perceptible fact, or expressed in an objective idea."

and in case you are trying to argue that Te isnt just oriented by sensation(isnt concrete), i already addressed that too, but ill explain again. concretism of thinking isnt solely something that Te does, concretism is a general term for orienting according to sensation and this can happen to Ti too, but with Ti its abstracting from sensation, not going back to it like Te does. also Te can deal with objective ideas, like use ideas that were passed on from tradition etc.

"The criterion of judgment, therefore, as to whether or no a thinking is extraverted, hangs directly upon the question: by which standard is its judgment governed—is it furnished from without, or is its origin subjective? A further criterion is afforded by the direction of the thinker's conclusion, namely, whether or no the thinking has a preferential direction outwards. It is no proof of its extraverted nature that it is preoccupied with concrete objects, since I may be engaging my thoughts with a concrete object, either because I am abstracting my thought from it or because I am concretizing my thought with it. Even if I engage my thinking with concrete things, and to that extent could be described as extraverted, it yet remains both questionable and characteristic as regards the direction my thinking will take; namely, whether in its further course it leads back again to objective data, external facts, and generally accepted ideas, or not."

do you still disagree with what i said, if so, tell me why and not just say that you already debunked what i said, because you obviously didnt and if you read the quotes, it should be obvious to you that what i said is according to what jung said and if you disagree with what i said, your thoughts about this issue doesent go hand to hand with jungs ideas.

I disagree with this:

"Te is concrete, as in being led by sensation..." [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION]

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I disagree with this:

"Te is concrete, as in being led by sensation..." INTP

if one perceives an idea coming from someone else, dont you think that it enters to the persons mind via sensation?