• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions for those who are completely SURE of their type

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For those who are completely SURE of their own type:

1) Were you always completely SURE of your type or did it take you awhile to arrive at it?

2) If you weren't always SURE of your type, what other types have you considered?

3) Have you ever previously thought you were another type and SURE you were that type but then later changed your mind and now you're SURE of your current type?

4) What makes you think you are SURE of your type. Is it mostly:
a. You consistently test as that type
b. The type description fits you very well
c. The cognitive function pattern fits you very well
d. Family, friends, coworkers, etc. have told you how much you resemble that type.
e. A combination of the above?

5) Have people suggested you are a type other than the one you identify with?

6) Are you open to the possibility that you may not be the type you think you are?

7) Even if you're SURE of your type now, do you ever think that in the future there may come a time when you seriously doubt or reconsider your type or even change your self-identified type?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Guess for that to answer you need to define yourself some boundary conditions. There are people for instance who say that type can develop and change as you mature and there are people who say that type does that never, so ...

When I see your signature in combination with your questions I have to say that I think you are way overdoing this. MBTI wont hold as a science to deep analytics cause for that its too much of a pipe dream. The same applies for all categorizing of people; people are dynamic and in flux all the time; you would need to make dynamic equations for them, cause a pure static label is only a moment snapshot of that person.

Dont overdo it too much.

Lith

MBTI Type
ISTP
1) Were you always completely SURE of your type or did it take you awhile to arrive at it? ~ Took a while, yes.

2) If you weren't always SURE of your type, what other types have you considered? ~ INTP and INTJ

3) Have you ever previously thought you were another type and SURE you were that type but then later changed your mind and now you're SURE of your current type? ~ INTP and INTJ were only guesses. I didn't understand the S/N dichotomy back then. And I was under the misconception that "smart" people had to be NT.

a. You consistently test as that type ~ I don't use tests.
b. The type description fits you very well ~ The well-written ones do, yes.
c. The cognitive function pattern fits you very well ~ Yes
d. Family, friends, coworkers, etc. have told you how much you resemble that type. ~ No, they're not aware of such things.

Being sure of one's type is mostly the result of studying the system and understanding the basic principles. However some people get fixated on a particular type or function, and then no amount of studying can help. It becomes a case of confirmation bias.

5) Have people suggested you are a type other than the one you identify with? ~ Their credibility goes out the window when they do that, so it doesn't matter. It's rare though.

6) Are you open to the possibility that you may not be the type you think you are? ~ Not at all.

7) Even if you're SURE of your type now, do you ever think that in the future there may come a time when you seriously doubt or reconsider your type or even change your self-identified type? ~ No, I only get more certain over time. And I don't believe that personality is "fluid". It only changes if you take personality-altering drugs, like SSRIs for instance.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A personality type is a false sense of identity used to support a vacuum where the self should be.

1, 2, and 3. Was I always completely sure of my type? If you weren't always SURE of your type, what other types have you considered? Have you ever previously thought you were another type and SURE you were that type but then later changed your mind and now you're SURE of your current type?

When I took my first MBTI out of a book I scored IXTP. But I identified with the INTP type description more than ISTP. As for the Enneagram, I scored as a 3w4 on the RETI, and LOL’d when I read about the type 3 because that’s not me at all. After reading about the “4-wing,” I strongly identified with 4 for about a month. I eventually determined that my 4-wing traits were simply overwhelming 5 and that I am truly a 5w4.

The real question is, how did I come to this conclusion? I examined the questions in the RETI over and over again, analyzing my thought patterns at the time I first took the test.

Not necessarily.

Yep.

I match Jung’s description of the Ti very well, and I am also abstract N.

d. Family, friends, coworkers, etc. have told you how much you resemble that type.

They don’t care about this stuff.

That’s a very common phenomenon on this forum, because people here don’t really know me, or they take one little thing I wrote out of context.

6) Are you open to the possibility that you may not be the type you think you are?

I am open to any possibility, but there has to be a really good reason to believe it.

7) Even if you're SURE of your type now, do you ever think that in the future there may come a time when you seriously doubt or reconsider your type or even change your self-identified type?

Instinctuals, for one, are not set in stone. Instincts can come and go with the occasion. My former boss showed a pattern of being Sx/So at work and So/Sx after work. The instinctual in the second position can also swap with the one in third position. The one in third position can become dominant for a while, depending on circumstances.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
1) Were you always completely SURE of your type or did it take you awhile to arrive at it?
it circled around NT from the year one.

2) If you weren't always SURE of your type, what other types have you considered?
The most serious progression was INTJ-INTP-INTJ-ENTP-ENFP-ENTJ-ENTP-ENTJ or something similar.

3) Have you ever previously thought you were another type and SURE you were that type but then later changed your mind and now you're SURE of your current type?
I was sure of ENFP for a month.
I was sure of ENTP for half a year.
Now my understanding of "sure" assignment to ENTJ type comes with a disclaimer.

A-d.

You know how little speak of types? In any case, my wife's workmate was interested of type and he thought of me as ENTJ immediately.
People sometimes tell I'm sensitive, but these stories are outnumbered with a ratio of 10:1 with stories telling I'm tough.

Very much so. I'm thinking this type thing is a silly business.
It's very much possible. I'm seeing a definite chance of seeing myself as an emotional or contemplatitive type, or both.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I must tell that if you expect any method to reveal an inherently unreliable "permanent" or "persistent" MBTI type, the joke is on you.

For me, the equivalent of this thread is the question, "are you hungry?"

It's situational at best.

It's not my failure that my MBTI results fluctuate. Yes, they have been ENTJ for quite some time now.

The problem is that the often-taken premise of the MBTI test, persistence, is nothing like that in reality.

What a mis-interpreted test that is.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I discovered mbti and enneagram when I was young, 13 or 14, and I thought I was ENTP, then ENFP and a 7w8. But since I've been an "adult" I've stuck with the same typing.

I just behaved differently as a teenager and had a different understanding of myself.

I'd say A, B and C for #4. My mom and best friend are the only people I know well that have been interested in typing. My mom thinks I'm a 5w4 but that's the only opinion I've heard about it. People on this forum have suggested ISFP and ENFP a few times. I guess I can understand why, but I don't really agree. It's possible I'm a socially anxious/shy ENFP but I relate to the INFP cognitive function order more.

I could change types, I'm still young and maybe will evolve in some way, but I'm confident in my typing for now.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was one of the lucky ones to receive MBTI test results with correct type upon the first attempt of taking the test. I didn't understand what it signified and went on to read about cognitive functions from Lenore Thomson's wiki. Reading more about cognitive functions in the subsequent months only further confirmed the type that I got as my test result. This took no longer than 2 months.

I have not considered any other types. I went to my type's subforum on Personality Cafe and it became clear very soon that the posters there are of same type as me. They were discussing many of the similar issues that have bothered me and applied same kind of reasoning. Thus I did not consider other types for myself, but I have spent some time reading subforums of other types to get a better understanding of them and our differences.

I have not, some of my friends have gone through this cycle. I was fortunate that I started reading a lot of MBTI material right away and encountered Lenore's descriptions of functions, then later read Jung's Psychological Types. This provided for superior understanding of MBTI as typology. Some of my friends have only taken the test and read the profiles without doing any further reading, literature or forums, and ended up typing themselves into wrong types for years, later switching to something else.

It was mostly reading Lenore's and Jung's writing and gaining a better understanding of cognitive functions, how they manifest and operate, that I became sure of my type. Many of the profiles that I have read haven't been very useful in this respect (too vague and indeterminate). Later I have discovered socionics that has a much better defined and structured approach to establishing type (it goes over Reinin dichotomies, cognitive styles, temperaments, etc.) Once I have read and understood some of the basic socionics concepts, it was clear to me that I have the same kind of functions as I do in MBTI which made me further confident of my MBTI typing.

Many times. For as long as I've studied MBTI there was always someone who disagreed with my typing of myself. At first I used to get into debates trying to verify their understanding of MBTI and often finding out that it differs much from my understanding. This was the main reason that they did not agree with my self-typing.

At this point no. I've studied typology very thoroughly for there to be any loopholes. Any other types just don't work as well.

No. I will however reconsider the concept of type itself and what it means, how it helps to define personality and my relationships with others, since I'm not completely clear on the concept of type itself.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Referring to ENFP and 6.

1. It took me a while to be sure.
2. I have considered a wide range of types - mostly types I would prefer to see myself as.
3. I have not been SURE of another type and then changed. At least, not yet.
4. I feel SURE because the cognitive patterns fit me well, and my strengths and weaknesses are accurately identified. I do not test consistently, nor are most people I know familiar enough with typology to give me their input.
5. A handful of people online have suggested other types. People IRL never think I'm an extravert.
6 & 7. I can't deny the possibility that I will change my mind, but I think the probability is low.

S

SingSmileShine

I was, for the most part, always pretty sure. It took awhile for me to decide whether or not I was J/P, but in the end I realized I pretty much embody P and it was just my paranoia. :smile:

I've briefly considered ENFJ and, for a stint, INFP/INFJ.

Nope! Always been pretty positive.

A combination, so e. A combination of a and b mostly, with a sprinkle of c.

My mom's said ENFJ but my dad says ENFP.

Not really. But I guess maybe. :happy2:

Probably not! When I'm healthy, I'm ENFP. Unhealthy, I'm more INFJ. When I'm REALLY unhealthy I can get INTJ-ish.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was pretty much sure from the start. I didn't even take the test at first; I was just purely going on type descriptions. I did waiver after that, when I took tests and learned more about the other types. However, I never deviated from INFP; I just wondered if it was right for a while, near the beginning.

Mainly INTP. Although there was a moment when for some reason I thought ENFP was a possibility. That seems pretty crazy now - I don't think I was really considering the facts or understood the definitions of Extroversion and Introversion (also being Social-first was a factor in this confusion). Same goes for Ti; once I understood that, I realised INTP didn't fit me at all.

No.

B - the type description, however, the rest does factor in (except d). Reading the type description was like a revelation to me. The other stuff helps back that up. I suppose that's kinda the INFP way: make the leap in judgement and then wait for logic and evidence to catch up.

Not IRL, because no one I know talks about MBTI. Online, a few people have made some remarks about seeming like some other type, but it's very rare. Who knows, perhaps more people think I don't seem much like my type and don't say anything. :shrug:

Not really. I am interested as to what people think and what vibe they might get from me, but it's not going to change my mind. I'm pretty certain about it.

No.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1) Were you always completely SURE of your type or did it take you a while to arrive at it?

I discovered MBTI and Enneagram by being linked to tests. So while I didn't have the background knowledge I thought the descriptions really captured my personality. After lots of researching I was even more certain of my type.

I've always been sure of my type. However, in my quieter moments I ponder the ideas of being an INFP/4w3/9w1. I've never gone beyond what's in my tritype though. But yeah, definitely sure of my type.

Like I said in the last answer, I was just playing with ideas. So no, I've always thought and still think I am ENFP 7w6 sx/so.

A, B, C, D, and E!

Yes, so/sx.

Nah, I like my type and I think it fits. :)

Who knows! The only way I'd change my type is if I recognize that I changed as a person, but I certainly love who I am now and wouldn't want to change anything about myself in the future.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It took me several months to arrive at my MBTI type. For Enneagram, I actually had it wrong for quite a while (thought I was an 8). That may have been for about a year or something.

MBTI - I considered ISTJ, ISTP and INTP

For Enneagram, I considered 8 and 3 as well.

Yes, I was pretty sure I was an Enneagram 8 because I had at least 4 tests tell me that. I didn't know much at all about Enneagram though. Two people questioned the 8 - [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] though I don't believe they suggested something else. That caused me to question the 8.

On MBTI, there is really no question about it. The description fits me well. The function preferences and order are exactly spot on. The eruption of the inferior is spot on. The areas of development are things I have worked on and made a big difference in my life. People I know IRL don't know much about MBTI so they don't really comment on it.

For Enneagram, 6 just fits the best. I was professionally tested so I've got some confidence in it. I then had a couple follow up sessions with this guru person and the stuff she said was scary accurate. When I first read about 6, I didn't really want to be that type. 8 also made me feel uncomfortable. So, it was pretty well narrowed down to those two. 3 was the only other possibility.

With instinctual subtype, I'm certain about the Sx - that very much fits me.

There have been people on the forum who at various times have suggested that I am an INTP, INFJ or Si dom. [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] keeps suggesting I'm an Ennagream 9, which I feel complimented by because 9 is my direction of integration and there are some things about 9s that I greatly admire.

Not much anymore.

Pretty doubtful

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ ftr: I think you very well could be a very healthy enneagram 6, not a 9 (in fact, I think the former is probably more likely).

I just think you have a very 9ish feel to you, such that you seem much more 693 than 683.

You say you definitely have the 8 fix, tho, so, while I still think you might have a 9 fix, I accept that you could be a 683.

T

The Iron Giant

I learned my core enneagram type on the day I learned that enneagram existed, and I'm as confident of that type as a six can be. My MBTI type took a little longer, maybe a couple of weeks, because I learned about MBTI much later in life and was going by test results until I learned more. I first tested as ESTJ.

Well, the aforementioned ESTJ, of course. I've also looked at ISFJ, ESFJ, and INFP. As to enneagram, the only other type I've seriously believed I could be is a nine, and when I first took an enneagram test it came up with 6w5.

No. I thought I was 6w5 before, but I can't say I was ever *sure* of that.

e: a, b, and c.

Yeah. A former friend who was an ENFP decided at varying times that I was ESFJ, ENFJ, and even maybe INFP. But that's Ne for you.

Sure. But I have yet to have someone who knows as much about type as me, or more, tell me they think I'm mistyped.

I still occasionally wonder if I worry too little to be a six, and if I could actually be a nine. I also sometimes ask myself if I'm too social to be an ISTJ, but then I remind myself that the profiles that fit are the valid ones by Jung et al, not the shitty ones written by Internet armchair personality theorists, and then I look at thoughts like that and go, yeah... ISTJ all right.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ ftr: I think you very well could be a very healthy enneagram 6, not a 9 (in fact, I think the former is probably more likely).

I just think you have a very 9ish feel to you, such that you seem much more 693 than 683.

You say you definitely have the 8 fix, tho, so, while I still think you might have a 9 fix, I accept that you could be a 683.

It is quite possible I'm a different tri-type. I have full confidence in the 6 and less than full confidence in the 8 and the 3. I'm not even sure I believe in Tri-type. Maybe I misunderstood you earlier.

Edit: I just checked 693 and it's called the mediator. I could easily be that type vs. 683 actually. Interesting suggestion.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yep. I was introduced to MBTI indirectly after taking a career test my psych professor had recommended to us. Most of the occupations sounded like something I could do, or wanted to do. At the bottom was a hyperlink, that said, "more about your type." - which directed me to a page describing Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging people indepth. I identified a lot with the description, so I felt little need to question what category in this system I'd fallen into. Because it appeared to be a decent assessment, I thought, ey, this MBTI thing seems pretty cool to better understand myself/others.. I continued to explore MBTI, all the types, function dynamics. Reflected on my own patterns, self-monitored my reactions. Thought of how I know myself to act/think/feel, vs how I would like my best self to be. Having a firmer grasp on the whole system just supplemented my initial accepted conclusion. Minor, blurry details in the big picture simply became more focused.

It's not something I think much on. INFJ is not who I am, it's just a means of describing how I am. I'm ambivalent with regard to how I feel about the type INFJ itself, compared to other types. It's not some rare, saintly bird, perched on a pedestal, feeding some silly need to feel "special/unique." Not for me, at least. It is what it is- a name for what was already present. A description of human behaviors that form patterns. Patterns that are particularly quite prominent in my life and mind, as well. In the end, I'm just Lex. A catlady. A human (sort of).

Other type descriptions fail to resonate with me. I have on occasion been mistaken for an INTP, due to my neurotic overanalysis of things, and because I don't come off as warm and fuzzy (or reactive) as other INFJ's might be. Being a pretend-INTP is just armor built over time, being under a lot of stress, leaning on a tertiary function. NiTi looping.

I wish I were an IxTP, but I'm not. I'm a stupid feely feeler person. :dry:

Nope.

e. But regarding d- refer to my answer for #3.

Yep. People who didn't know me terribly well. They ended up changing their minds after cumulative observation, however. I didn't bother to argue/correct them, really. I'd just explain why I believe myself to be the type I identify with, & let them make their own decisions.

I'd have to be presented with some kind of new, breakthrough information that would turn my entire understanding of MBTI/cognitive functions/my mind on its head. Sure- we can never truly "know" ourselves, or others. We all have biases, and I'm not exempt. However, we can draw fair conclusions about broad theoretical generalities like this, and we're apt to trust our own ability to comprehend/relate to things we learn about, feel in tune with on some core level... and those generalities don't change too much, over time. We just become more distinctly ourselves. Not to say that we're static creatures by any means, though.

I think [MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] makes good points in his post, regarding this.

see my answer for #6.

I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Took a decent amount of time, and a few mistypings.

INTJ 5 [online tests] > INTP 5 [started learning about cognitive functions] > ENTP 7w8 Sp/So (7w8 9w8 3w4) [started looking into Enneagram] > ENTP 9w8 So/Sx (9w8 7w8 4w3)

I was sure of my (mis)type in different systems until I started questioning aspects that didn't gel and looked deeper into the system, with MBTI that meant cognitive functions, with Enneagram it meant reading books.

a. You consistently test as that type <- Do not rate that as an indication of anything beyond one's ability to take a test.
b. The type description fits you very well <- If you mean online descriptions, then I do not rate that either, if you mean understanding the core of a type, the fears, motivations etc, then yes for Enneagram.
c. The cognitive function pattern fits you very well <- It's one of the only relevant factors with MBTI for me.

Certainty comes mainly through deeper understanding of the systems, with Enneagram in particular reading books by writers like Naranjo, Maitri and Palmer helped get an understanding of my type to the point where there is zero chance I'm not a core 9.

Sure, however typically people said I was how I self-typed though, even when I was wrong, it's easy for self-typing to influence most impressions.

Other people did first suggest ENTP for my MBTI though, on the other hand people mostly tried to talk me out of E9 with a suggestion to focus on head types.

If I'm mistyped then finding that out is only going to help my self understanding better, so sure. I only recently recognised I was incorrect in regards to my heart fix and the greater understanding that has brought me is enlightening.

I can't see my MBTI, core Enneagram, or instincts being doubted as there is too much to back them up, however I am very hazy on my Socionics typing, and could question the order of my trytype, so there's always more to be discovered.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
b]1) Were you always completely SURE of your type or did it take you awhile to arrive at it? [/b]Mostly, but I've had my doubts.

2) If you weren't always SURE of your type, what other types have you considered? INFJ or ENTP. I still find those types pretty easy to understand. They have a clarity of communication that's refreshing. I don't feel like I have to do detective work to understand what they're actually trying to tell me.

3) Have you ever previously thought you were another type and SURE you were that type but then later changed your mind and now you're SURE of your current type? No.

Mostly c, at this point. but all of the above play a role also.

5) Have people suggested you are a type other than the one you identify with? Yes, but I think a lot of that is that I'm capable of recognizing the value of Ne, Si and Fe, and trying to work on them.

Yes, but I'd need a good argument. Not just "you don't think that Ti solves everything, you must be an NF."

Doubtful. Me being INTP creates a context for my oddness. If I become less odd, that's because of adapting, but not because of a change in preferences.

Last edited:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

1) Were you always completely SURE of your type or did it take you awhile to arrive at it? YES. I was always completely sure.

2) If you weren't always SURE of your type, what other types have you considered? n/a

3) Have you ever previously thought you were another type and SURE you were that type but then later changed your mind and now you're SURE of your current type? No

a. You consistently test as that type YES
b. The type description fits you very well YES
c. The cognitive function pattern fits you very well YES
d. Family, friends, coworkers, etc. have told you how much you resemble that type. YES

5) Have people suggested you are a type other than the one you identify with? NO

6) Are you open to the possibility that you may not be the type you think you are? NO

7) Even if you're SURE of your type now, do you ever think that in the future there may come a time when you seriously doubt or reconsider your type or even change your self-identified type? NO

I've known since I was about 19 years old that I was an ENFP. Not only do I always test as an ENFP, but the descriptions/cognitive function patterns fit me very well. Furthermore, I can apply my knowledge of my type's strengths and weaknesses to improve my life by enhancing/compensating for them. I've always had a hard time understanding why some of people seem to have such a hard time figuring out their type. But maybe that's because I've never had to struggle with this myself.