• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do we use all 8 functions?

Do we use all 8 functions?

• Total voters

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
None of the poll options seem quite right.

Taking my type as an example and listing the functions from top to bottom:

INTP

1. Ti
2. Ne
3. Si
4. Fe
5. Te
6. Ni
7. Se
8. Fi

I think is this order Dario Nardi proposes?

I think there is some variations within people of the same type. I use Si a fair amount (#3) but I know other INTPs who say they hardly ever use it. Then I hear about INTPs whose Ni is almost strong as their Ti and Ne is weaker than Ni.

As for myself, I use the top 4 a fair amount, and especially the top 2. Fe I use quite a bit but I also feel less confident in my use and more likely to not use it properly. Just because you use a function alot doesn't mean you have full conscious control or that you're competent at it.

Te, is a function I can use well when needed but would prefer to focus on Ti or Ne instead.

Ni I'm less consciously aware of its use. It has more of an on/off quality to it.

Se is the one I probably use the least of the 8 and also the one I feel the least confident in.

Fi I use quite a bit with varying degrees of effectiveness. If you read Lenore Thomson, she has it as a right brain alternative to dominant Ti.

I would say though that the order of the 8 functions is more of a general pattern seen between people of the same type and some variation is to be expected.

Daenera

Rogue heart
This is just personal observation and not MBTI info, but it does seem like besides the top four functions there are ways that people who strongly use their dominant function also use a related function. It appears like people who are strongly Ni-dom might also score high on Ne, so that people can posses both the i and e versions of their top functions.

Another observation is that people who strongly use their dominant function can also exhibit the parallel opposite function like Ti/Fi, Ni/Si, Fe/Te, Se/Ne.

Not sure if there is a way that this connects to any of the established theory, but it is just an observation fwiw.

Edit:
I know that I score high in Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe.
I have noticed other people with the other relationship like my strongly INTP partner's emotional framework is more Fi than Fe, but if there ever was a Ti-dom, it is him. He also has some Te going on, so I've noticed both relationships.

I've noticed some INFJs have strong Si, while others have a touch of Ne, etc. etc.

I score high on these as well ( Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe) with very similar percentage if not equal, usually for me it's Si and Te that I neglect the most, although lately I score high on all functions, I took a test on the cognitive functions just now and this happened: based on your results your type is likely - unclear :huh: haha
I don't know what conclusion I'm to draw from it :shrug:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd add an option that says, we use all 8 functions but the bottom ones less effectively.

I thought the fact that we don't use the bottom ones effectively was a given. The question is which ones do you use and how frequently.