• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types do the best imitations?

What types do the best imitations?

• Total voters

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I'd say ENFP....Ne is divergent and hence, can encompass multiple scenarios. Fi deeply understands emotions to the core, which promotes the ability to enunciate emotions, especially when coupled with Ne. Si being inferior promotes novelty, which increases likelihood of attempting an imitation. The spontaneity of "p" creates the ability to adapt quickly to these circumstances. QED

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This! Same feeling. Otherwise how cud i imitate when iam an INFP?

All types can sense, so absolutely all types can imitate. I am not sure that the ability to imitate would depend on type but I do still suspect that whether someone leans toward Se (like ISFP) or Si (like INFP) would influence how they tend to go about imitations. I'd expect more exactness in those with Se/Ni and more impressionism in those with Si/Ne.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
This! Same feeling. Otherwise how cud i imitate when iam an INFP?

I read in something related to Dario Nardi's work that ENFPs are the best imitators, so INFPs are probably decent at it too.

Fi reads a person in terms of their essential features and mindset, and Ne can abstract things in the environment into a general form that can be used in different contexts.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it is Ne quality with some preference for ENFP over ENTP, although the ENTP might make it edgier. I think impressions also tend to be about exaggeration a bit. I can see why people would lean towards Se, but my subjective sense of it is that it isn't really geared that way. Maybe I'm wrong. Se can internalize gestures and learn physical skills quickly through imitation, but I kinda think it's because it's a function that is good at interpreting new information inside their own body. It has awareness of it's physical space and has command of that, but that's different than actually imitating someone else. Probably could to some degree, but might be less inclined?

Maybe Se could be inclined towards some of the physical imitation, but Ne towards language imitation. I did know an INTP who could imitate language very quickly. He could change completely based on who he was talking to.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
To me it's not about expanding to different possibilities of what someone could be like. It's observing them and narrowing down what mannerisms they manifest in real time. :shrug: I'm Se/Ni

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know anyone in real life that does impressions, but theoretically I would think Se (preferably dominant) would be the best function for this because the process would involve being incredibly observant and tuned into the nuances in a person's behavior. I tend to see Se as the best function for reading people based on things like facial expression, vocal inflection/tone, body language, etc, which would be key for a good imitation. With imitation you're replicating, not attempting to interpret behavior, and I see Se (again preferably dominant) as having the best chance of picking up on the physical reality of a situation/person while also minimizing subjective impressions of that information.

rav3n

SPs are the best imitators. That's why there are so many SP actors.