• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP 6 vs ISTJ 6, how do you tell them apart?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
How do you tell the two apart? I sure as hell can't.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One obvious answer is that we're usually far less organized (Se vs. Si).

W

WALMART

I believe I may be a six. Find an ISTJ 6 and pick apart our differences, because I'm fairly sure I'm ISTP.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mom is an ISTJ 6. I can always tell from their Ne. It covers the bases. Their Ne is a "what if" machine of what could go *wrong* then they troubleshoot it but its always from that perspective. Which makes them trust consistency so much - in all aspects of their life.

I'm much more lax with consistency and can flit from thing to thing much easier.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
My mom is an ISTJ 6. I can always tell from their Ne. It covers the bases. Their Ne is a "what if" machine of what could go *wrong* then they troubleshoot it but its always from that perspective. Which makes them trust consistency so much - in all aspects of their life.

I'm much more lax with consistency and can flit from thing to thing much easier.

hmm, I like this answer

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTP 6 will more likely find security in autonomy while ISTJ 6 will more likely find it in stability. ISTP is far more likely to lean cp while ISTJ is far more likely to lean phobic. ISTP 6s usually have the "troubleshooting" thing going on - more in present time. They're good on the fly. ISTJ 6 is more planning ahead, more jilted when things are changing rapidly. ISTP will more likely have sort of a Fe "soft spot"/vulnerable spot where they react strongly to feeling ganged up on - especially a sense of "paranoia" if they're 6w5. ISTJ will more likely have a sort of Ne "soft spot"/vulnerable spot where they, like MDP pointed out, react strongly to negative possibilities.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't say I care much for the type myself. I will file this away for future use.

I'm not sure what the OP is asking exactly. But I'm not very comfortable around 6's. One of my best friends growing up was a 6. My dad was a 6. My mother is a 9w1. My wife is a 9w8. I've got the type down fairly well by now I think. And I can conclude that, with a 9, what you see is what you get. With 6s, you never know which face they're going to show from day to day.

I can go into greater detail about their respective MBTI's.

W

WALMART

I'm not sure what the OP is asking exactly. But I'm not very comfortable around 6's. One of my best friends growing up was a 6. My dad was a 6. My mother is a 9w1. My wife is a 9w8. I've got the type down fairly well by now I think. And I can conclude that, with a 9, what you see is what you get. With 6s, you never know which face they're going to show from day to day.

I can go into greater detail about their respective MBTI's.

If you would like, I'm not one to turn down information.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you would like, I'm not one to turn down information.

6s are logical thinkers, but somewhat manipulative and very pragmatic. I worked with one ISTP 6 in my younger years who had tourette's, although it was less severe at that time than when he was a child. His neck/shoulder area was twitchy, and he exaggerated wildly about his masculinity. (For example, he says he lost his virginity when he was 3, he can drink a gallon of everclear, shit like that.) Last year I happened upon an old newspaper article reporting the time when he and his teenaged friends broke into someone's house, when they weren't at home, just to have a place to party.

ISTJ 6 definitely has a more 8-ish, tough-guy attitude. My older brother is a horrific example of this type. These types are highly intelligent, IQ wise. But they are super-control freaks. Just don't piss them off, the result could be personal injury or death.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An ISTJ 6 that I worked with a couple times a week for a few years was verbally pushy and sometimes physically too. He has an amazing capacity for acquiring knowledge, but not higher knowledge, only technical knowledge. For example, I heard him try to discuss Yttrium with someone who was looking for an intelligent conversation. His laugh sounds like a quiet walrus bark. Everybody, except his business partner, hates the guy.

I don't feel like coming up with more thoughts right now, I'll check back here later.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP 6 will more likely find security in autonomy while ISTJ 6 will more likely find it in stability. ISTP is far more likely to lean cp while ISTJ is far more likely to lean phobic. ISTP 6s usually have the "troubleshooting" thing going on - more in present time. They're good on the fly. ISTJ 6 is more planning ahead, more jilted when things are changing rapidly. ISTP will more likely have sort of a Fe "soft spot"/vulnerable spot where they react strongly to feeling ganged up on - especially a sense of "paranoia" if they're 6w5. ISTJ will more likely have a sort of Ne "soft spot"/vulnerable spot where they, like MDP pointed out, react strongly to negative possibilities.

Yes. Yes. Yes.