• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Explain Ni and Ne

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ne is wibbly wobbly, Ni is timey wimey.

Ni intuition delves into the subject, Ne intuition plays with the object.

To explain them both is to explain intuition, but to show the difference.... the difference is apparent.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
For some time now the simple-minded slander that Ni focuses, or attends in some kind of detail to, I don't know, the object or some subject or whatever other thing people use to indicate some limitation on perspective... bugging me, it has been.

Ni drives to the archetype.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
so how accurate do you think this description of Ni is?

Introverted Intuition (Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others. [source]

this struck me as more of a Socionics/Jung perspective on Ni, but it's supposed to be for MBTI.

actually, according to this entire article I'm an INFJ. every single function. :shock: also, why is the dominant function of MBTI ExxJs Je and ExxPs Pe, while that of IxxPs is Ji and IxxJs is Pi?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ni converges, as most people do say, but the convergence is toward the grand zero where everything is everything else. The archetypes, those that exist, hover around the edge of this null, on its event horizon. That, possibly, is where we seek to go when introverting intuition, looking for the background processes in all cognition.

It's odd then to talk of the subject. Certainly the content of Ni is subjective objects. But they're made out of everything else so, y'know, they're bigger than you think.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne is wibbly wobbly, Ni is timey wimey.

:laugh: Well done!

Kalach said:
Ni converges, as most people do say, but the convergence is toward the grand zero where everything is everything else. The archetypes, those that exist, hover around the edge of this null, on its event horizon.

Thank you for the best mental picture of Ni I have yet to imagine.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Ni wants to explain and understand.
but
Ne is moving on to a different th

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni converges, as most people do say, but the convergence is toward the grand zero where everything is everything else. The archetypes, those that exist, hover around the edge of this null, on its event horizon. That, possibly, is where we seek to go when introverting intuition, looking for the background processes in all cognition.

It's odd then to talk of the subject. Certainly the content of Ni is subjective objects. But they're made out of everything else so, y'know, they're bigger than you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_monism

This is what I believe. Sounds like your description of Ni. That's funny, I was just thinking the other night about quantum mechanics (because I'm reading a book about it), and the fibonnaci sequence, and I have a theory that 0 actually kind of contains infinity!

That said, can people give some more concrete examples of the two? Theoretical descriptions are fine, but if people think something they observe can fit either, it doesn't really translate to reality. I mean, I've considered being Ne dom, but it's highly probable I'm actually Ni dom- despite having a vague idea of how they are supposed to work, it seems to me like i use both of them equally, which probably isn't true. Maybe there is another thread for more in depth discussion...